MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
last minute help for GO transit! littleluzer First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 09-04-2010 02:30 PM
Last minute help for life sci urbski First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 08-02-2010 11:06 AM
Mac in A Minute Chad MacInsiders Announcements 4 03-31-2010 03:35 PM
Latest Mac In A Minute - Feb 24 Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 03-18-2010 12:26 AM
Mac In A Minute Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 12-04-2009 04:04 PM

last minute help !!!!

Old 09-10-2010 at 07:35 PM   #1
ruby101

Liked: 5 Times

last minute help !!!!
I'm first year international student and I am not good at English. Now I have to choose between Psychology 1X03 and Health Age 1AA3, Can any one tell which one is easier ? Any feedback would be much appreciated.
Old 09-10-2010 at 07:45 PM   #2
mcmastergcdb
Elite Member

Liked: 89 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby101 View Post
I'm first year international student and I am not good at English. Now I have to choose between Psychology 1X03 and Health Age 1AA3, Can any one tell which one is easier ? Any feedback would be much appreciated.
I know psych 1X03 isn't easy. Never taken Health Age 1AA3.
Old 09-10-2010 at 08:01 PM   #3
bloodywarz
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 74 Times

well i would recommand psych 1x03 i did that course last year and found it very interesting, it does require a bit of studying but its not a boring course, if your willin to put in the effort of listening to the online lectures and taking proper notes you'll get a really good mark, i personally really liked the course
Old 09-10-2010 at 08:22 PM   #4
ruby101

Liked: 5 Times

So does Psych have a lot of writing and participation ?
Old 09-10-2010 at 08:26 PM   #5
bloodywarz
Account Disabled by User

it doesnt really have a lot of writing since its mainly all just multiple choices but it can get a lil tricky, as for the tutorials those are extremly easy as long as you go to them and participate and just ask a few questions in class you can get an easy 8/10, and its up to you when you want to go over the online lectures and take notes so its a flexable method of working. other than the tutorials there are no other requirments for participation

ruby101 says thanks to bloodywarz for this post.
Old 09-10-2010 at 08:58 PM   #6
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodywarz View Post
it doesnt really have a lot of writing since its mainly all just multiple choices but it can get a lil tricky, as for the tutorials those are extremly easy as long as you go to them and participate and just ask a few questions in class you can get an easy 8/10, and its up to you when you want to go over the online lectures and take notes so its a flexable method of working. other than the tutorials there are no other requirments for participation
What?! They must have drastically changed the course from when I took it :(
When I took it in Sept 2008, there were two short individual assignments and a group essay (that was also rather short), and something like 10% of your mark was for participation in tutorials. Depending on your TA, it could be easy or difficult to get these marks. Many TAs had several options on how to get participation marks though, such as posting on the online discussion board if you're shy about speaking up during tutorial.

ruby101 says thanks to nerual for this post.
Old 09-10-2010 at 09:08 PM   #7
bloodywarz
Account Disabled by User

i had it last year i didnt find it hard at all, like in tutorial its only about 25 people so at start you mind be a little shy but the TAs ask a lot of questions as long as you show that your paying attention and "taking part" in the class your participation mark should be really good as for the assignment they were too hard as long as you find some good references you should be able to ace it i did mine in the last day and pulled off a mark in the low 80s i beleive, so over all ts not too bad of a course
Old 09-10-2010 at 10:02 PM   #8
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Psych is "English intensive" only in that the MCQs are trickily worded and most people stumble upon them. If English is already an area you feel you need to strengthen, it may take more work to get familiar with their questions but definitely doable. Talk about your concerns with your prof (in person) and with your TA. They often have resources for students in similar situations and can help immensely

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 09-11-2010 at 12:09 AM   #9
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
What?! They must have drastically changed the course from when I took it :(
When I took it in Sept 2008, there were two short individual assignments and a group essay (that was also rather short), and something like 10% of your mark was for participation in tutorials. Depending on your TA, it could be easy or difficult to get these marks. Many TAs had several options on how to get participation marks though, such as posting on the online discussion board if you're shy about speaking up during tutorial.
last yr.. there was a group essay in 1xx3 but not 1x03
Old 09-11-2010 at 07:53 AM   #10
mcmastergcdb
Elite Member

Liked: 89 Times

I think you should contact centre for student development. Since you're an ESL student, they will totally help you out.
http://csd.mcmaster.ca/academic

Office location:

McMaster University Student Centre (MUSC), Room B107 1280 Main Street West, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada L8S 4S4
Office hours:

September-April: Monday-Thursday 9:15 a.m. - 8:00 p.m. Friday 9:15a.m. - 4:30p.m. The office is closed for lunch from 12:00p.m.-1:00p.m.