MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
preparing for med school/ pharm school bkkk_5 Academics 58 07-22-2011 04:50 PM
Night/Summer School? (high school level) Zimonada First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 07-20-2011 01:12 PM
School and government need to do something about bad living conditions arounds school jacqueda Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 24 05-18-2011 09:34 PM
McMaster Summer School for high school student MacPack First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 08-04-2010 06:35 PM
Required courses for second year, med school, summer school, etc. kwyhan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 12-26-2009 07:14 PM

Law School Help!

Old 07-11-2011 at 09:41 PM   #1
TheBrickWall
Elite Member

Liked: 46 Times

Law School Help!
Hey Everyone,
I'm starting second year in September, and I'm really interested in Law School. I was just wondering on how to go about the process, and when I should be taking my LSAT's and stuff too?

Also what are my options in terms of schools, and what kind of GPA am I looking at ?

For my Law School applications do extra-curricular activities hold a lot of weight as well?
Old 07-11-2011 at 09:48 PM   #2
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

You might find this helpful: http://www.oxfordseminars.ca /LSAT/lsat_profiles.php
It lists Canadian schools, pre-reqs as well as some stats.

macsci, TheBrickWall all say thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.
Old 07-11-2011 at 09:53 PM   #3
Biochem47
Elite Member

Liked: 73 Times

http://www.lsac.org/

This website is really helpful too.

macsci, TheBrickWall all say thanks to Biochem47 for this post.
Old 07-12-2011 at 10:24 AM   #4
TheBrickWall
Elite Member

any idea on how to start studying for my LSATs?
Old 07-12-2011 at 10:34 AM   #5
IqzFendi

Liked: 41 Times

I'm actually going for med school so I'm going to give the MCAT but I'm sure they have prepatory courses for LSAT as well? Or maybe you could just get textbooks, flashcards, videos etc. if you want to do self-study
Old 07-12-2011 at 10:40 AM   #6
Biochem47
Elite Member

Liked: 73 Times

I've been thinking about Law school lately, and this summer I think I just might pick up a book or two and look them over. Then next summer do an LSAT course (to get practice in writing etc) then write next summer (after second year). Then that gives the opportunity to write again if need be (after third year).
Old 07-12-2011 at 10:41 AM   #7
TheBrickWall
Elite Member

Haha I was just slightly concerned, because a bunch of people I know were already in study groups and stuff
Old 07-12-2011 at 12:43 PM   #8
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrickWall View Post
any idea on how to start studying for my LSATs?
There's a whole bunch of prep courses through Kaplan, Prep101, Oxford seminars, etc. That's if you don't want to study alone or want a little more structure. On the other hand, there's books that you can buy by Kaplan, Priceton Review, etc. You can get those at any Chapters/Indigo or online. If I were you, I'd do a little research about law school this year, and don't worry about the LSATs till after second year or third year even, depending on when you'd like to write it.

mac-lover says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.

Biochem47 likes this.
Old 07-12-2011 at 06:24 PM   #9
JesterRace

Liked: 5 Times

The LSAT is offered 4 times throughout the year...I wrote mine in June but the write dates are in February, June, October, and December. I only "studied" for a month for the LSAT...I put the quotes around study because you can't REALLY study for the LSAT. You can only cover strategies and just rep practice tests until your fingers fall off, its not the kind of thing that if you bury your head in a book for 2 months straight you'll magically get the test. You need to really just DO the test again...and again...and again...and again (not actually write it, but go through practice tests). I did about 5-6 full length practice tests, along with an LSAT course, then wrote it.

Some books you may want to look at include PowerScore bibles, as well as the official LSAT tests that are sold through LSAC (usually at around $7 a test). Its worth the investment to pick up the official LSAT tests. Try and grab the tests that have been offered in the last ~5 years as they constantly retool the LSAT and therefore, the more recent the test the better representation of what yours will look like. The class was a great way to keep me on track with my practice and they did offer the odd tip that proved helpful in the long run.

The LSAT is entirely different from the MCAT...the LSAT relies much more on logic and much less on conventional memorization. Take from that what you wish.

Biochem47, TheBrickWall all say thanks to JesterRace for this post.

TheBrickWall likes this.
Old 07-12-2011 at 07:38 PM   #10
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

I was just talking to a friend who's looking into law school and he gave me this site: http://www.lsattestquestions .com/ It gives you an idea of LSAT questions and whatnot.