MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
letter of permission MacJk First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 04-20-2012 12:34 AM
Letter of Permission Eng and Management kevcom Academics 7 11-15-2011 08:12 AM
Letter of permission courses. Phantom Academics 5 08-11-2011 06:14 PM
Letter of permission shannon.d Academics 0 05-31-2010 10:14 AM
Letter of Permission (Eng) cowcow Academics 3 04-24-2010 03:42 PM

Letter of Permission Acceptance

Old 06-08-2012 at 08:13 PM   #1
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

Letter of Permission Acceptance
I asked for a letter of permission, and I asked it to get sent to the new university I am taking a course at. Will I get an email sent to me, letting me know if it was approved or not, or will I have to wait until the other school gets it?
Old 06-08-2012 at 08:37 PM   #2
inthemaking

Liked: 26 Times

You should call the office of the registrar at the other school in 5-7 business days and see if your LOP has arrived.
Old 06-09-2012 at 12:52 AM   #3
Snowman
Elite Member

Oh the office of the registrar! It was sent to my faculty office, so I have been trying to contact them with no luck.

Do you know if you get a confirmation email? I need to sign up for my online course by sunday, otherwise the course won't be registered for another month and I was hoping to get it done well before summer ended
Old 06-09-2012 at 01:07 AM   #4
Watoko
Elite Member

Liked: 126 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
Oh the office of the registrar! It was sent to my faculty office, so I have been trying to contact them with no luck.

Do you know if you get a confirmation email? I need to sign up for my online course by sunday, otherwise the course won't be registered for another month and I was hoping to get it done well before summer ended
I assume you're doing it through Athabasca. I asked the receptionist at the Dean of Science and she told me that you can register first, even without the LOP. I registered a week ago and it was fine. I just got my LOP in the mail and my package from Athabasca a couple days ago.

Is your course already on the pre-approved equivalent courses list? If it isn't then there might be a problem if you end up registering and your course does not get approved.

This is the email I got when my LOP request was approved:

Quote:
Hello Mathew,

Please be advised we have now processed your LOP application. These "other university" courses will be coded onto your McMaster student record.

Your Letter of Permission document to register for these courses will be sent to the other university in a few days. A copy will also be mailed to you for your records. You can then proceed to use the LOP document as required to get yourself registered. You will need to go to the web site for the university you wish to do the course(s) at and find out their deadlines, etc., to apply (as a Visiting Student) to do Fall/Winter courses.

PLEASE NOTE: Should you decide not to use the Letter of Permission, or need to cancel a course(s), you must supply the Associate Dean of Science (Studies) Office with an official transcript showing the cancelled courses or a letter from the "other university" in a sealed envelope confirming you were not registered in the permitted courses or session.

Once the course is completed, please request a transcript from the host university be sent to our office at the address below.

Regards,

Rosemary Warne

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Office of the Associate Dean of Science (Studies),

Burke Science Building, Rm 129,

1280 Main Street West,

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. L8S 4K1

Phone 905-525-9140 ext. 27590

Fax 905-546 9995

E-mail ConfidentialityStatem ent: http://www.science.mcmaster. ca/emcs.htm

Last edited by Watoko : 06-09-2012 at 01:14 AM.

Snowman says thanks to Watoko for this post.
Old 06-09-2012 at 06:55 AM   #5
inthemaking

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post

I never got a confirmation email (but this was back in fall 2009 so things have probably improved by then). The LOP gets sent from your faculty office -> office of the registrar -> other school's office of the registrar. You can try calling Mac's office of the registrar to see if they sent it first before calling the other school's office of the registrar to see if they received it.

From my experience it takes awhile for an LOP to be approved if the course isn't already on the pre-approved list. I submitted a LOP to the BHSc office to take a course at Waterloo in mid-June 2009 and it wasn't until mid-July 2009 that the office of the registrar records department received it.

Last edited by inthemaking : 06-09-2012 at 07:01 AM.
Old 06-09-2012 at 11:06 PM   #6
Snowman
Elite Member

OK thanks! The course I am taking is MacroEcon 1BB3 (Mac Code) so it is preapproved and the course is mandatory for management, so I should be safe then.

How long does it take for Athabasca to process the application? Since I am still discussing it with my parents, is it automatic registering + processing and done by a computer or is it done by a person and take more then a day?

Last edited by Snowman : 06-10-2012 at 12:35 AM.
Old 06-15-2012 at 01:26 AM   #7
Snowman
Elite Member

Since I found going through old threads on this super helpful, here is an update.

I never ended up getting an email or any kind of confirmation and its been 8 business days, but I called the registrar and they said they got it.

Also, it is under mugsi-> Academics -> Program and course summary

It then comes up under the latest session

I hope this helps someone!