MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nursing Requirements MacDai First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 06-27-2010 12:11 AM
Program Requirements... Toast Academics 1 06-14-2010 02:28 AM
Humanities/Soc Sci Requirements etoilex3 Academics 5 06-13-2010 09:37 PM
LIFE SCIENCE Level II REQUIREMENTS qadisami Academics 12 07-18-2009 01:48 AM
Understanding Course Requirements FlyWithMac Academics 16 06-29-2008 08:44 PM

Level II requirements

Old 02-25-2011 at 08:56 AM   #1
scrapsy

Liked: 0 Times

Level II requirements
Hi, I'm in first year social sciences but I failed one 3 unit course first term and dropped a 6 unit course this term and now I am realizing that I might now have enough units to get into second year. How many units do I need/what does my average need to be?
Old 02-25-2011 at 09:12 AM   #2
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

Admission to level II

Anthro
-students must complete the requirements of any level I program, including at least two courses (6 units) from level I anthro 1A03, 1B03, 1Z03

Econ
-students must complete the requirements of any level I program, including econ 1B03, 1BB3, and math 1K03 (if calc & vectors 4U was not completed in high school)

Geography
-students must complete the requirements of any level I program including six units of level I geography or envir sci courses

Gerontology
-enrollment in all gerontology programs is limited. admission is competitive and is done through an application process. to be considered, students must complete the requirements of any level I program, including gerontology 1A03, with a grade of at least B- (for Honours) and at least C- (for the BA)

Health Studies
-students must complete any level I program including health studies 1A03 with a grade of at least B- (for Honours) and C- (for the BA). admission is selective and requires an application

Labour Studies
-students must complete the requirements of any level I program including labour studies 1A03 and 1C03

Political Science
-students must complete the requirement of any level I program including pol sci 1G06

PNB
-enrollment in the Honours BA program is limited. students must complete any level I program including psych 1XX3, psych 1X03 with a grade of B- in each and credit in biology and calculus. for the BA program, students must complete any level I program including psych 1X03 with a grade of C- and calc must be completed by the end of level II

Religious Studies
-completion of any level I program including six units of religious studies courses

Social Psych
-enrollment in this Honours program is limited. Must complete any level I program including psych 1XX3, 1X03 and social 1A06 with a grade of B- in each and credit in at least 9 units of other socsci courses from at least two disciplines from the following list:

anthro 1a03, 1b03, 1z03
econ 1b03, 1bb3
geo 1ha3, 1hb3
health aging and society (gerontol 1a03, healthst 1a03)
inquiry 1ss3
labour st 1a03, 1c03
pol sci 1g06
psych 1xx3
relig st 1b06, 1d06, 1j03
soc work 1a06

Social Work
-too lazy to type so much info in book

Sociology
-Must complete req. of any level I program including socio 1A06

Best bet is to talk to the academic advisor of your faculty...office is like KTH129. Hours and stuff: http://www.socialsciences.mc master...associate-dean

Why am I being helpful...

scrapsy says thanks to Desda for this post.
Old 02-25-2011 at 09:22 AM   #3
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 467 Times

You need at least 24 units to get into a level II program, I guess you could take summer school to get those units, but I'm not too sure about what to do now, you should chat with an academic advisor and they'll put you on the right path.

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)

scrapsy says thanks to jamescw1234 for this post.
Old 02-25-2011 at 03:15 PM   #4
MaxEdison
Account Locked

Liked: 13 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapsy View Post
Hi, I'm in first year social sciences but I failed one 3 unit course first term and dropped a 6 unit course this term
Do you have Down Syndrome?
Old 02-25-2011 at 03:36 PM   #5
Serene
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

I'm afraid this might be end of the line for you
Old 02-28-2011 at 04:45 PM   #6
scrapsy

Thanks for the advice everybody. I talked to an advisor and they gave me a lot of good advice so everything looks dandy for next year.

and no I don't have downs syndrome thanks...
Old 03-01-2011 at 08:16 PM   #7
dg1000

I agree with jamescw1234 with summer schooling, since it gives you a lot more free time to work and get your mind focused on it.

For example, I failed 3 courses in first semester of first year and got a 12 in summer doing something else....

And now I'm in Honours LS!

Cheer up! ^_^

EDIT:
PS: Take Japanese Studies courses if you have electives/or if it is required in you Soc. Sci. Courses, 2TT3 and 2P03 are fun bird courses if you study! Dr. Mark Rowe will make your day in lectures!

Last edited by dg1000 : 03-01-2011 at 08:34 PM.

scrapsy says thanks to dg1000 for this post.