MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
will i get into life science?? hstudent First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 16 01-11-2011 07:41 PM
environmental science 3b03 ims316 Academics 1 09-13-2010 05:08 PM
Life Sci 3b03/Dr. Jacobs deone Academics 1 08-26-2010 12:48 PM
Science...more specifically Life Science Meg543 Academics 9 08-24-2009 07:53 PM

Life Science 3B03

Life Science 3B03
Published by R633
04-26-2011
Published by

Author review
Overall Rating
90%90%90%
Professor Rating
90%90%90%
Interest
100%100%100%
Easiness
70%70%70%
Average 88%
Life Science 3B03

Life Sciecne 3B03: Neurobiological Mechanisms of Behaviour

This course was taught by two professors: Dr. Ullal and Dr. Jacobs. They are both excellent at teaching their respective lectures so teaching is not an issue in this course.
Course Breakdown:
Seminar (20%)
Midterm 1 (20%)
Midterm 2 (20%)
Final Exam (40%)

Dr. Ullal's section covered a lot of concepts from his other classes like Psych 2E03, Life Sci 2C03, Visual Neuroscience etc... So if you liked any of those courses, his material should be very easy to understand. His material is more clinical based as he teaches about the causes, pathology and clinical manifestations of many neurological disorders inculding Parkinson's and Huntington's. He also briefly covers visual neuroscience - similar to his 2E03 course, but not as in depth. You will learn about a few neurological pathways and circuitries (basal ganglia and cerebellum) and understand how certain neurological disorders effect these pathways.

Dr. Jacob's material is more difficult, but this is my opinion, others may have found it easier. He focusses much more on the molecular and cellular aspects of nurbiology. You will study the cellular basis of learning and memory as well as processes of nerve conduction (action potentials, resting potentials...). You will also learn about retinal circuitry in great detail.

The two midterms are very fair. If you do not prepare well, you will fail, but if you study every slide and attend the lectures you will find the midterms quite easy. The midterms are short answer and you are given a choice of which questions to answer. For example, you may be given 5 questions total and asked only to answer 4.

The seminar is a group project where you present concepts related to what you are learning in class. These go on throughout the semester from January to March and are quite easy. All you have to do is find a primary paper that relates to a certain topic (all topics are provided) and present the main findings and how it relates to the material learnt in class. Be sure to scan through the topics and choose the one you like early because they fill quickly. It is better to present early, but choose the topic you like because you understand it best.

The final exam is ALL short answer questions, just like the midterms. It is slightly more difficult than the midterms simply because of the amount of material you have to study (it is cumulative). It focuses more on Dr. Jacob's material, but Ullal's material still encompasses about 30% of the exam.

Overall, this is a very interesting course, but you must put in the work. It is not a bird course, but it is easy to do well if you commit to your studies.

Best of Luck and I hope you enjoy the course if you decide to take it!

3am Coffee, Unknown111 all say thanks to R633 for this post.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Life Science 3B03!

Old 06-04-2011 at 03:57 PM   #2
R633

Liked: 24 Times
Here is the course outline
Attached Images
File Type: pdf LS 3B03 Prospectus.pdf (81.8 KB, 348 views)
Old 06-11-2013 at 08:27 AM   #3
ramacm

Liked: 0 Times
I took this course in winter of 2013. I found this course realatively easy--can get 12 if you study hard for the midterms and exams. Just remember that for the final exams, he will as details from the seminars so it is really really important to prepare from all the seminar questions. Also, the TA' s are tremendously helpful, esp before midterms. They will guide students as to what to study and how difficult the midterms will be. USE THEM!
Old 06-14-2014 at 08:50 PM   #4
achhin

Liked: 2 Times
Piskuric?
It looks like Dr. Piskuric will be teaching all of 3B03 this upcoming year. Since Ullal left before the 2013 session, does anyone have any updates on the new course? Have there been changes in the curriculum or content?

I only had Piskuric for one of the BIO 2A03 sections.

Thanks!
Old 06-17-2014 at 11:37 PM   #5
celtics_fan

Liked: 12 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achhin View Post
It looks like Dr. Piskuric will be teaching all of 3B03 this upcoming year. Since Ullal left before the 2013 session, does anyone have any updates on the new course? Have there been changes in the curriculum or content?

I only had Piskuric for one of the BIO 2A03 sections.

Thanks!

This year there was actually a different prof, so it will be the first time Piskuric is teaching this course. But she has taken over Life Sci 2C03 as well, so you can try to find out how she was for that class. From what I've heard, the course has changed completely with a new textbook and everything!

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search