MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mac Life Science vs Queen's Life Science? s_rt First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 17 05-28-2014 07:33 AM
Political Science Degree variasa Academics 4 06-19-2011 08:40 PM
Which is better? A difficult degree with a slightly lower mark or an easier degree... Porsche Academics 14 06-04-2010 10:57 PM
Second Degree (Honours Economics and Computer Science) dasa3 Academics 1 05-21-2010 05:26 PM
Degree Requirements Honour Political Science littlejohnny Academics 2 05-14-2010 04:58 PM

Is Life Science a Pointless Degree?

Old 12-22-2015 at 08:29 PM   #1
mati555

Liked: 0 Times

Is Life Science a Pointless Degree?
A lot of people are saying life sci is a pointless degree to get, because it can be useless if you don't get into med school? Agree or disagree? I was thinking of going into life sci, but now am not so sure?
Would maybe something like environmental science be easier to find jobs in, especially if med school doesn't work out - or even maybe after 4 years in case?
Old 12-22-2015 at 10:13 PM   #2
bobsingh

Liked: 11 Times

This is a question that gets asked a lot. Is it a useless degree? It really depends how you use your time at Mac and where your interests are. Medical school is not the only professional school available after completing a Life Sci degree and many choose to pursue dental school, pharmacy school, optometry, research through a masters program, physiotherapy, etc. You have to take the effort and do things during your time in the Life Sciences program to get something out of it. The Life Sciences program has tons of opportunities for students to go out and shadow potential careers for course credit, pursue research in a variety of disciplines, take inquiry courses, take courses in other faculties, etc. Many people think that after completing the four years, the degree is a waste but if you take the time to do research, find out where your interests are to pursue a career, take courses in different faculties and network, it isn't as useless as one thinks. There are many specialties after 1st year life sci, such as Biochemistry, Biology and Pharmacology, the recently introduced Biomedical Discovery and Innovation Program (entry after 2nd year), chemistry, etc. These fields can give you co-op opportunities and they can help you get a foot in the working field before you graduate, making it easier to find a job after you do graduate! Overall, it really depends how you use your time at Mac to figure yourself out which will dictate if its useless or not. When I was in first year, I thought it was a waste of time going into the Life Sciences program because its so general and there are so many people in this program. Now I'll be graduating soon and I made the best use of my time here which has got me in a really good position from where I should be pursuing dental school from next year. Look into the MAP planning program for the life sciences program and see what paths you could potentially take and do some research into seeing what options you would have in terms of courses, etc. Hope this helps and good luck!

mati555 says thanks to bobsingh for this post.

mati555 likes this.
Old 12-23-2015 at 10:47 AM   #3
danix450

Liked: 2 Times

Please note that Life Sci also has a co-op program now as well. Life Science is not a waste of program. It allows you to educate yourself in a way you wish and to follow what your are interested in. Being in a program like biochem for example requires you to take more required courses than one would being in life science, and these courses may be ones that you have no interest in taking, and thus probably making it hard to earn a better grade, and making it harder to pursue professional school dreams etc. The only real issue I have with life sci is the lack of lab experience, but this can be remedied by taking some biology courses (theres one thats mol bio i think that gives you good lab skills), or by getting into a research lab (may be tough but totally doable). In the end of the day, everyone gets a bachelors of science degree, regardless of the program, but its up to you to create beneficial experiences for yourself.

mati555 says thanks to danix450 for this post.

mati555 likes this.
Old 12-23-2015 at 06:01 PM   #4
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Liked: 91 Times

It's not Liberal Arts or Political Science, so you are good.

mati555, Pattern like this.