MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What Was The Cut-Off For Business Last Year? Flight93 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 02-02-2012 06:37 PM
HELP business 2nd year program rmfldkdtm Academics 12 06-15-2011 07:14 PM
Guy Friends/Girl Friends lizziepizzie Dating & Relationships 101 10-18-2010 09:01 PM
First Year Business! Danno Introduce Yourself 4 08-24-2010 02:01 PM
Business first year DilC First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 05-14-2010 07:06 AM

Looking for some first year business I friends

Old 08-03-2013 at 06:21 PM   #1
tom510513

Liked: 0 Times

Looking for some first year business I friends
how many people is taking business in first year?

Also, I'm looking for some off campus housing, better if it is Chinese roommates
Old 08-03-2013 at 06:34 PM   #2
Quiver

Liked: 126 Times

Check out the McMaster Commerce Class of 2017 group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/MacCommies2017/?fref=ts

tom510513 says thanks to Quiver for this post.
Old 08-03-2013 at 07:13 PM   #3
Commie42
Elite Member

Liked: 133 Times

I'm going into second year but let me know if you have any questions about the program or about finding off-campus housing!
Old 08-03-2013 at 07:27 PM   #4
tom510513

#Commie42

Can you share you first year experience? Perhaps how do you meet new friends and housing.
Since I'm living in Toronto and none of my friends is going to McMaster, I'm a bit nervous right now. LOL
Will I be late if I'm going to Hamilton to find housing in mid August?

Last edited by tom510513 : 08-03-2013 at 07:28 PM. Reason: nothing
Old 08-03-2013 at 07:36 PM   #5
Commie42
Elite Member

Liked: 133 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom510513 View Post
#Commie42

Can you share you first year experience? Perhaps how do you meet new friends and housing.
Since I'm living in Toronto and none of my friends is going McMaster, I'm a bit nervous right now. LOL
Will I be late if I'm going to Hamilton to find housing in mid August?
First year experience - First year wasn't that bad at all. Commerce is a lot of electives so it shouldn't be that challenging. It is really important to get into good study habits early on thought. Make sure you go to class, keep up with the coursework, and take good notes.

Making friends - I didn't really know anyone when I came to campus. Go to as many Welcome Week events as you can. Make sure you talk to people, get phone numbers, and add people on Facebook. Try to get involved with 3 clubs and figure out where your interests are in terms of campus activities and events.

Housing - Yes, this is VERY late for finding housing. I'd say the majority of people start looking for housing in the previous Winter, but almost all people have a place by the Spring. I would start look ASAP. It takes a lot of time to find a place (especially since most places will be taken by now). You want to make sure the place and the landlord is a good fit and you have to make deposit payments, sign a lease, and make a roommate agreement (which I would highly recommend). The only advantage you have right now is that if there are places that aren't filled yet, you might be able to get a better deal.
Old 08-04-2013 at 12:27 AM   #6
melodicdream

Liked: 10 Times

what commie42 said is true but you are also more likely to find really really good deals close to campus around august. I've met a lot of people who were paying less than I was for better housing and only for an 8 month lease. They all found their houses in august.
Old 08-04-2013 at 01:14 AM   #7
Quiver

Liked: 126 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by melodicdream View Post
what commie42 said is true but you are also more likely to find really really good deals close to campus around august. I've met a lot of people who were paying less than I was for better housing and only for an 8 month lease. They all found their houses in august.
That's possibly because school's almost starting in August and those houses still don't have tenants. Landlords get desperate. They'd rather have someone pay less for 8 months than no one pay anything all year. So don't lose hope for getting a good place late - that said, looking early is always better and you get a wider range of selection.

Commie42 likes this.
Old 08-04-2013 at 09:14 AM   #8
omgwtfitsp
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 30 Times

why's is gotta be chinese roommates preferred, if you're looking to meet people randomly on a forum at least open up to all sorts of people, variety is the spice of life you know.

Commie42 likes this.
Old 08-04-2013 at 03:34 PM   #9
tom510513

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgwtfitsp View Post
why's is gotta be chinese roommates preferred, if you're looking to meet people randomly on a forum at least open up to all sorts of people, variety is the spice of life you know.
Just to avoid cultural conflicts because I've never lived with other people from different culture before.
But it is just a preference, actually it is not necessary