MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Computer Science Sidd Academics 1 08-02-2010 01:04 PM
Computer Science accredited at Mac? RomanT First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 05-25-2010 09:51 PM
Computer Science Co-op julianface Academics 22 04-16-2010 05:35 PM
Computer Science dondada Academics 2 07-07-2008 01:20 PM

Mac Computer Science from College Computer Technology

Old 10-17-2010 at 06:08 PM   #1
steve2345

Liked: 0 Times

Mac Computer Science from College Computer Technology
I'm nearing graduation at Sheridan College from the 3 year Computer Systems Technology - Systems Analyst Co-op program. I became interested in McMaster when I heard of the B.Tech degree completion programs, specifically the Computing & Information Technology branch.

After reading around a bit I am a little worried about the program. One of the FAQs on the website says the following:

Quote:
Q. Is the Bachelor of Technology degree equivalent to an Honours B.Sc, B.A., or B. Eng.?

A. No. The Bachelor of Technology degree is not an Honours degree. The Bachelor of
Technology Degree Program is a “non-accredited degree completion” program offered part-time during weekday evenings and on Saturday. Graduates of this Program are conferred a Bachelor of Technology Degree in Engineering Technology. The Bachelor of Technology Program is equivalent to a four-year degree.
Does anybody here know anything about the program? Is it good? Is the degree recognized by employers? Is it recognized by other universities when considering applying for graduate studies?

I have also considered applying for the Computer Science program. I'm not worried about the amount of extra time it will take to complete. But I'm wondering how hard it is to get in to coming from college. I have a 3.97 GPA in college, and I have all of the high school prerequisites, however my grades in high school were not incredibly high. Does anyone have any experience with getting into the Computer Science program coming from college? If not who at McMaster would be the best person to talk to about this?

Sorry for asking so many questions in one post!
Old 10-17-2010 at 07:14 PM   #2
dsahota

Liked: 83 Times

I have a couple of questions for you

a) What do you hope to get out of taking another degree ? (i.e. what are your goals ?)

b) What are your interests in relational to Computer Science / Computer technology?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve2345 View Post
I have also considered applying for the Computer Science program. I'm not worried about the amount of extra time it will take to complete. But I'm wondering how hard it is to get in to coming from college. I have a 3.97 GPA in college, and I have all of the high school prerequisites, however my grades in high school were not incredibly high. Does anyone have any experience with getting into the Computer Science program coming from college? If not who at McMaster would be the best person to talk to about this?
Coming from college with a 3 year degree, the requirements for getting in are here:
http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /futur...r/college.html

It seems like with a 3.97 /4.00 GPA and the high school requirements met you should have no problem getting into McMaster Computer Science. Its quite common for people to go to college and then end up in a University later. Your not-so-fantastic high school marks aren't likely to count that much against you, especially since you completed a 3 year program with good marks. Technically questions regarding admissions should go to the registrar's office, they have questions / answers portal here: http://www.macadmit.ca/

You should probably talk to the undergraduate advisor for the concentration of Computer Science / Software Engineering you're interested in for information about the program itself, their details are here:
http://www.cas.mcmaster.ca/cas/0template1.php?400

Quote:
Q. Is the Bachelor of Technology degree equivalent to an Honours B.Sc, B.A., or B. Eng.?

A. No. The Bachelor of Technology degree is not an Honours degree. The Bachelor of
Technology Degree Program is a “non-accredited degree completion” program offered part-time during weekday evenings and on Saturday. Graduates of this Program are conferred a Bachelor of Technology Degree in Engineering Technology. The Bachelor of Technology Program is equivalent to a four-year degree.
Short Answer:
The B.Tech program is a 4 year degree program that's different from a BSc and is not accredited so you can't directly become a Engineer-in-Training (EIT) when you graduate.

Long Answer:
The most relevant part of this is probably programs status with respect to accredited engineering programs. An accredited engineering program is one which is constantly reviewed by the Canadian Engineering Accreditation Board to ensure it meets a certain standard. This review process allows a graduate of an accredited program to become an Engineer-in-Training (EIT) after completing their degree and finding a job. Once you're an EIT you can (after several years and a professionalism / ethics test) become a Professional Engineer. If complete a non-accredited degree and decide you want to become a Professional Engineer, then you will likely have to write additional tests on your knowledge and possibly take some make up courses in order to qualify.

Depending on your career goals accreditation may or may not be an issue. Based on my experience, most people working as "computer 'engineers' / computer scientists" currently do so without a P.Eng.

As a side note, the reason I asked you about your goals / interests earlier is that Computer Science and Computer technology are two very different things. Computer science is essentially an applied discrete math program with some practical aspects tacked on, whereas Computer technology tends to focus much more on the application of using technology. Computer Engineering and Software Engineering also fit within this whole spectrum of Computation Related fields, so its important you end up in the one that matches up with your interests.
Old 10-17-2010 at 07:16 PM   #3
Ashlie

Liked: 10 Times

I can't answer any questions related to the program but I do know that if you have any questions about how your college marks will influence your admission to the program, I would suggest talking to some of the guidance counsellors in the Student Liason office (http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /futur...n-contact.html) for general questions, or for specific questions contact the faculty directly.
Old 10-17-2010 at 07:20 PM   #4
aaront
CSD HYPE Web Developer

Liked: 78 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve2345 View Post
I'm nearing graduation at Sheridan College from the 3 year Computer Systems Technology - Systems Analyst Co-op program. I became interested in McMaster when I heard of the B.Tech degree completion programs, specifically the Computing & Information Technology branch.

After reading around a bit I am a little worried about the program. One of the FAQs on the website says the following:

Does anybody here know anything about the program? Is it good? Is the degree recognized by employers? Is it recognized by other universities when considering applying for graduate studies?

Sorry for asking so many questions in one post!
I could be wrong, but I don't think there has been a graduating class from B.Tech yet, and hence the reason why it's non-accredited.

In any case, B.Tech. or Comp. Sci. are under the Computing and Science department of the Engineering faculty here at Mac.

http://www.cas.mcmaster.ca
http://www.mohawkcollege.ca/Schools/...contactUs.html