MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
health insurance coverage fatcat General Discussion 1 08-17-2012 08:57 PM
glasses insurance coverage cjdzl General Discussion 9 06-01-2011 04:19 PM
Student Insurance/Coverage tristic First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 08-29-2008 05:03 PM

Mac Optical Insurance Coverage

Old 01-30-2014 at 05:10 PM   #1
resh.jyoti

Liked: 29 Times

Mac Optical Insurance Coverage
Hi guys!

I've been hearing rumblings about optical coverage (for glasses, contacts, yearly eye checkups maybe?) through the health plan. I also saw something about that in the MSU poll.

Does anyone know if we have coverage or not? I just bought contacts and glasses and got a checkup lol, totaling like $700 because I'm really blind.

It's my last year but not my brother's, so if it's coming next year even that would be helpful.

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-30-2014 at 05:18 PM   #2
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

There is currently a vote in progress. You should have received an email. This years topics include a new president, proposed upgrades to HSR pass, and various health related additions including optical.

If enough people vote for it there will be optical insurance next year (as well as more expensive supplementary fees)
Old 01-30-2014 at 05:53 PM   #3
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

This is all that is covered right now https://www.msumcmaster.ca/posts/30

Basically if the optical thing gets voted in then your brother will get a bigger discount, but even now you might be able to get your eye checkup partially reimbursed (not sure because you had it in the past and they have to fill out stuff) but glasses are not covered at all (for now at least)
Old 01-30-2014 at 08:14 PM   #4
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by resh.jyoti View Post
Hi guys!

I've been hearing rumblings about optical coverage (for glasses, contacts, yearly eye checkups maybe?) through the health plan. I also saw something about that in the MSU poll.

Does anyone know if we have coverage or not? I just bought contacts and glasses and got a checkup lol, totaling like $700 because I'm really blind.

It's my last year but not my brother's, so if it's coming next year even that would be helpful.

Thanks in advance!
Um, where do you go to get your checkup and buy your glasses? That's an outrageous price. My total works out to less than 300$, +100$ for contacts.
Old 01-30-2014 at 08:42 PM   #5
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Um, where do you go to get your checkup and buy your glasses? That's an outrageous price. My total works out to less than 300$, +100$ for contacts.
My dad and I buy our glasses at the same place (and eye-checkup at the same place) and our prices range. Im usually around $150-350 depending on frames whereas my Dad's can be $700-800 easy. The difference is the prescription as I have pretty much only reading glasses whereas my Dad has a very hefty prescription.
Old 01-30-2014 at 09:53 PM   #6
RyanC
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty91 View Post
My dad and I buy our glasses at the same place (and eye-checkup at the same place) and our prices range. Im usually around $150-350 depending on frames whereas my Dad's can be $700-800 easy. The difference is the prescription as I have pretty much only reading glasses whereas my Dad has a very hefty prescription.
The reason I ask is because Westdale Optical is a price-gouging machine, whereas The Eye Society beside Walmart are ethical and all around awesome, not trying to rob students blind (lol pun).

The difference in glasses at the two places are: 2-500 depending on frame (decent frame/lens is on 350-550 range) at Wesdale PER GLASSES, whereas 75-150 at the Eye Society. Same is true for most places away from McMaster, in general. Westdale is ridiculous for contacts, Walmart is $100 more just for the check/prescription, not including ordering the contacts themselves, and The Eye Society charges $30 for the appointment and roughly $140 for 6 month supply of monthlies with the cost of appointment taken off contacts package price.

Just really disappointed with McMaster and the surrounding area's prices for students... it's not only food...
Old 01-30-2014 at 10:14 PM   #7
Amaryll
My math prof is hotter.

Liked: 326 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
The reason I ask is because Westdale Optical is a price-gouging machine, whereas The Eye Society beside Walmart are ethical and all around awesome, not trying to rob students blind (lol pun).

The difference in glasses at the two places are: 2-500 depending on frame (decent frame/lens is on 350-550 range) at Wesdale PER GLASSES, whereas 75-150 at the Eye Society. Same is true for most places away from McMaster, in general. Westdale is ridiculous for contacts, Walmart is $100 more just for the check/prescription, not including ordering the contacts themselves, and The Eye Society charges $30 for the appointment and roughly $140 for 6 month supply of monthlies with the cost of appointment taken off contacts package price.

Just really disappointed with McMaster and the surrounding area's prices for students... it's not only food...
Don't go to Westdale Optical and other places like that, that only sell designer glasses. Optical Clearance Outlet at 1405 Upper Ottawa St. has basic frames for $124, slightly nicer and sturdier frames (what I got) for $144. That's including the lenses, scratch proof coating, and anti-glare coating.

I got a set of $124 frames near the end of my first year and just replaced them this year, so they lasted me a good 2.5 years before they broke. Probably could have lasted longer if I was more careful with them. I glued them back together and still use them when I work out so that I don't mess up my new ones.
Old 01-30-2014 at 10:30 PM   #8
RyanC
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaryll View Post
Don't go to Westdale Optical and other places like that, that only sell designer glasses. Optical Clearance Outlet at 1405 Upper Ottawa St. has basic frames for $124, slightly nicer and sturdier frames (what I got) for $144. That's including the lenses, scratch proof coating, and anti-glare coating.

I got a set of $124 frames near the end of my first year and just replaced them this year, so they lasted me a good 2.5 years before they broke. Probably could have lasted longer if I was more careful with them. I glued them back together and still use them when I work out so that I don't mess up my new ones.
Oh mine lasted 3 years; only problem is that I lost them, and they were in great shape, transitions lenses. The Westdale Optical glasses lasted about 2 months before the lenses were all scratched to shit, and I lost them too somehow (in my house somewhere?). Screw repeatedly falls out, easily bendable, and just generally overpriced. I made the mistake of buying them on impulse without realizing that the deposit can't be refunded. I tried to take my lenses elsewhere but they wouldn't let me take my lenses without finalizing the purchase. It was either lose my $220(?) deposit or pay them for the glasses. I eventually talked them down to reducing the final price, to which they acted like they were doing me a favour. Total cost was supposed to be $5xx, but I worked it out to $4xx.

Moral of the story: don't buy on impulse... sleep on it... don't buy in the store the first time seeing frames that are acceptable with your girlfriend in the background.