MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Does anyone have a macbook air? what do u think of it? fatcat General Discussion 25 08-26-2011 07:16 PM
New Macbook pro 2011 jeboi7 General Discussion 34 06-20-2011 08:58 AM
Macbook Help Dylicious Computers & Tech 6 03-25-2011 05:24 PM
Macbook mfattal General Discussion 43 02-16-2011 05:56 AM

Macbook PRO for Engineering

Old 04-29-2012 at 06:28 PM   #1
canadianvpk

Liked: 1 Time

Macbook PRO for Engineering
Hey Fellas,
I am new to McMaster community, so I will introduce myself first.
I am Pradeep accepted to McMaster for Eng I program will be joining this Sep 2012.
I am interested in getting a Mac book PRO for my university studies. What you think? Is it a good choice? Will all the engineering software’s work on Mac? Is it worth the money?
The computer I have is Sony I bought this four years back it is good but started giving me problems after first two years that is my first reason I am interested in Mac but just want to know your opinions on in.
Thanks,
Pradeep
Old 04-29-2012 at 06:49 PM   #2
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianvpk View Post
Hey Fellas,
I am Pradeep accepted to McMaster for Eng I program will be joining this Sep 2012.
I am interested in getting a Mac book PRO for my university studies. What you think? Is it a good choice? Will all the engineering software’s work on Mac? Is it worth the money?
The computer I have is Sony I bought this four years back it is good but started giving me problems after first two years that is my first reason I am interested in Mac but just want to know your opinions on in.
Thanks,
Pradeep
Here are some threads similar to yours:
Which macbook to get for Engineers
Does anyone have a macbook air? what do u think of it?
Mac vs, PC

The general consensus is that you can get through eng with a mac, but you'll need to use bootcamp.

So basically, get the computer you want, but be aware that you'll need Windows at some point or another.
Old 04-29-2012 at 06:50 PM   #3
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Hey Fellas,
Thanks,
Pradeep
Hi Pradeep,

Welcome to the MI community and congratulations on getting accepted to McMaster's Engineering! I'm a Computer Science student in the faculty of Engineering, and I haven't found the need for a Windows OS based laptop. A handful of my friends though in the Engineering program throughout the entire year only for 1-2 courses needed to use a Windows OS. If you're using a MBP, you could simply dual boot into a Windows OS (recommended) or you can use visualization programs like VMWare to get the job done (not recommended). Is it worth the money? Only you can answer that question for yourself. The answer varies person to person depending on what they wanted to get out of the laptop. Is it fast processing power? Awesome graphics card? Incredible battery? You decide and let yourself know if and when you buy one. All the best! If you have any more questions, please do feel free to ask. We're all here to help Pradeep. With warm regards,

Humza

canadianvpk says thanks to anonanon987 for this post.

canadianvpk likes this.
Old 04-29-2012 at 06:51 PM   #4
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

i would highly dissuade u from using a macbook. although i am biased against mac books, I am simply telling you there are some programs you will use (inventor/maplesim) that are windows only for sure. not sure about maple/matlab but my friends ended up having to use bootcamp/dual boot os to run those.

In conclusion, there are many engineers who have macbooks and still use it and were fine with it but it isnt a requirement. Personally with all that money you can get a better computer with that money

canadianvpk says thanks to Leeoku for this post.
Old 04-29-2012 at 06:53 PM   #5
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku View Post
i would highly dissuade u from using a macbook. although i am biased against mac books, I am simply telling you there are some programs you will use (inventor/maplesim) that are windows only for sure. not sure about maple/matlab but my friends ended up having to use bootcamp/dual boot os to run those.

In conclusion, there are many engineers who have macbooks and still use it and were fine with it but it isnt a requirement. Personally with all that money you can get a better computer with that money
I'm not sure about Matlab cause I never used it in MATH 1ZC3, but there is a version of Maple which runs on Lion.
Old 04-29-2012 at 07:03 PM   #6
Abhimint

Liked: 4 Times

I did Eng I...
Lotta friends of mine used Macbook pro and its compatible with almost everything...if there was a little issue, it would be with installing some Maple software for Engg 1C03 course..just talk to your prof about that..
I personally used a Windows laptop and bot Macs n Windows are at par for University use

canadianvpk says thanks to Abhimint for this post.
Old 04-29-2012 at 07:13 PM   #7
canadianvpk

Liked: 1 Time

Thanks for all your inputs!. You guys are awesome.

Is waiting to get Mac Book PRO till university is worthwhile ?. Do we really get a student discount ?.
Old 04-29-2012 at 07:21 PM   #8
Freija
Elite Member

Liked: 384 Times

Remember that programs in the curriculum are always subject to change. Windows guarantees compatibility due to its place as the market standard. However, Macs can boot into Windows anyway. What you should be considering is whether the price premium on a Mac is worth it. You won't be using OSX all the time, and most girls in engineering aren't impressed by Macs.

Also consider that depending on your engineering stream, as you move up the levels you're going to be subject to some whacky ass programs. Such programs are for real engineering; content-creation, development and simulations, ie., programs meant for serious work on serious workstations. You should be looking into future courses that you might be taking and see what is required of them.

One of the most popular configurations amongst engineers is a cheap laptop + desktop.
The laptop offers portability and the desktop will always be upgradable and compatible. You might also want to look into an android tablet. You can view .pdfs and write notes, and can easily be interfaced with a snap-in or bluetooth keyboard.

TLDR: Macs will be a small nuisance to use, but you can get through Engineering with one.

Freija
Computer Engineering IV
Old 04-29-2012 at 07:35 PM   #9
GCSM
Half Life 3 Confirmed

Liked: 95 Times

I'm slightly biased against macs, as I feel like they are a waste of money for what they offer.

Windows is compatible with everything in first year, and if you really wanted to get a mac, go for it, and just dual boot it, like the ppl above have said.

Thinking back though, if I was starting first year, I would get a nice desktop and a cheap laptop (like Freija said), as I found that I never really used Inventor at school (other than in labs)
Old 04-29-2012 at 07:42 PM   #10
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

do not buy computers at mac. everything is overpriced there. better to buy online during back2school savings or over summer etc.

I personally wish i had moar money. i spent my monies on a gaming laptop but like others i woulda rather built a beast gaming desktop and a meh laptop. besides, gaming laptops just distracts u from studying

Watoko likes this.
Old 04-29-2012 at 08:39 PM   #11
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

if you indeed are interested in computer engineering then i would not get a mac. Unless you plan on coding apple apps then a macbook is simply a waste of money. You will need windows whether or not you get a mac and most likely linux as well for comp eng. My advice would be to get a lenovo T-series. Wait for a discount and you will get better hardware far cheaper and with the absolute best quality.
Old 04-29-2012 at 08:52 PM   #12
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
Thanks for all your inputs!. You guys are awesome.

Is waiting to get Mac Book PRO till university is worthwhile ?. Do we really get a student discount ?.
Last summer when I bought it I got a few discounts. Can't remember which ones off of the top of my head but there was a university student discount among other things. Check with your closest Apple store during the summer to see what discounts/offers they have floating around then. Good luck Pradeep.
Old 04-29-2012 at 09:53 PM   #13
Rstevenson

Liked: 25 Times

I wouldn't get a mac. I laugh everytime the people that have macs have problems running software and I dont have that problem. Happened quite a few times this year
Old 04-29-2012 at 09:57 PM   #14
TheBrickWall
Elite Member

Liked: 46 Times

Compatibility is always going to be a bit more of an issue with a Mac as opposed to a PC. It's not completely impossible, but it's a little more work to get these things running on a Mac.

At the end of the day it's all about personal preference.
Old 04-29-2012 at 10:01 PM   #15
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

I would recommend a cheap laptop/tablet and desktop as mentioned above. It worked great for me since I could go to study groups and classes on my laptop and could run basic programs then and when I got home I could game/watch movies/ do homework on a bigger screen and faster computer. Also by year 4 (or 5 if you go for 5 year program) then your laptop may start to slow down or get outdated and with a desktop you just upgrade it and problem solved!

In other words, get a windows desktop as well as a low end windows tablet/laptop or a really cheap Macbook if your heart truly desires one