MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can I major in science and do a minor in economics? cmkc109 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 10-14-2012 10:14 AM
Major in Bio, Minor in Political Sci? -Ish- Academics 1 04-29-2012 10:47 AM
Double major w/ minor John H Academics 15 12-27-2009 11:00 PM
Major, Minor... Almurnith First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 08-24-2008 01:31 PM
Picking a Major and Minor lorend Academics 37 05-30-2008 04:50 PM

Major and Minor and how do they work?

Old 12-29-2012 at 12:22 AM   #1
arastu16
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 0 Times

Major and Minor and how do they work?
Just wanted to know how does it work? Can you major in something from Sciences and do a minor in something from another faculty? For example, I do a major in Biology, can I minor in something math related, technically, still a part of science...or major in biology but minor in something from another faculty? really confused. I love math and bio and chem. currently in life sciences but really confused about what to do in the future
Old 12-29-2012 at 12:36 AM   #2
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

Yup . So you just look in the calendar . For a minor they tell you what courses you need . Usually about 18-24 units.
Old 12-29-2012 at 12:59 AM   #3
airvcarmelo

Liked: 42 Times

Well minors are 24 credits (minimum). They do not show on your degree when you graduate but will on your transcript.
Old 12-29-2012 at 02:09 AM   #4
pyravib

Liked: 0 Times

Found this on the Undergraduate Calendar... Thought it might be helpful!

Minors

If you are enrolled in a four- or five-level program (with the exception of the Medical Radiation Sciences program which is a three-level program offered over a four-year period), you are eligible to obtain a Minor in another subject area, provided that the subject area is not integral to the requirements of your degree program. You should check the calendar requirements statement for your program in the case of Science programs, or check with your Faculty in the case of other programs, for subject areas that are excluded from consideration as a Minor in your program.

If you wish to receive a Minor, you should check the information under the heading Minor in the appropriate department’s listing. McMaster also offers Minors in Archaeology, Globalization Studies and Jewish Studies. (See Interdisciplinary Minors and Thematic Areas section.) You will be responsible for ensuring that you register in the required Minor courses. Normally, you must complete a minimum of 24 units in the Minor subject. No more than six of these units can be at Level I, unless otherwise stated in the specific requirements of the minor. At least 18 units must be completed at McMaster.

In the final year of your program, when you complete your profile in the online Graduation Information Centre, you must indicate your desire to receive a Minor in the chosen subject. The Faculty Reviewing Committee will verify that the requirements have been met. If you are successful, your transcript
will contain a designation for Minor in that area. See Sessional Dates section for deadlines.
Minors cannot be revoked once approved. (See Note 3 under Second Bachelor’s Degree Programs.)
Old 12-29-2012 at 03:51 AM   #5
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

read the fine print.