MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
what's the difference between cancel courses and drop courses? cmkc109 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 10-16-2012 10:09 PM
Help on Courses scarletfire Academics 4 06-08-2012 09:35 AM
what to do if conflicting courses and both courses are very required? killza Academics 11 06-12-2010 05:08 PM
Do Medical Schools care if I took 4 courses first semester, 5 courses 2nd semester... Arnold General Discussion 6 07-17-2009 03:30 PM
Repetition of Courses: Students may repeat courses that have been failed or for which Arnold Academics 2 12-07-2008 04:39 AM

How many courses should I take???

Old 01-04-2016 at 10:40 AM   #1
staracademy

Liked: 0 Times

How many courses should I take???
Hi, I am planning on going to medical school, and I am currently in fourth year. However, I want to finish my undergrad in 5 years. Is it alright that I take 7 courses this year (4th year) and finish the rest in my 5th year. Do medical schools require that you do 10 courses each year. Cuz whoever I ask tells me it's better if you do 10 courses, but I don't get it, not all medical schools require that you take 10 courses each year. Please help, I need to know before term 2 starts
Old 01-04-2016 at 10:53 AM   #2
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Liked: 91 Times

Talk to academic adviser.

But generally from McMaster's point of view there shouldn't be a problem, as long as you realize that your 5th year will be part time.
Old 01-04-2016 at 12:41 PM   #3
Imperious

Liked: 27 Times

So if you apply in your fifth year, medical schools won't be using your fifth year marks anyways so it doesn't really matter what you do in fifth year. When calculating averages, most schools will only consider the years where a full course load was attempted (10 courses). So depending on whether or not you want them to consider your fourth year marks, that will decide whether or not you should be doing a full 10 courses.
Old 01-04-2016 at 08:22 PM   #4
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

If everyone has told you that it's better to do ten, and you disagree, then what different information or insight are you hoping to gain from people on MI?

If you have done your research and are aware of all of the consequences (or lack thereof) of a reduced courseload for the specific schools you want to apply to, you can make that decision for yourself, and the information that you find is far more valuable to you than anything that anyone can say on here. Life 101: don't trust your future to random people on an internet forum.