MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need a math tutor? Need help with Math 1M03 or 1K03? Im your guy :D ShahrukhKhan Academics 4 08-19-2010 08:31 AM
Math 1M03 or 1A03? icecubz Academics 4 08-10-2010 04:54 PM
MATH 1A03 or MATH 1M03? THIS COMMIE NEEDS HELP! numaya Academics 5 07-28-2010 05:45 PM

math 1a03/1m03

Old 07-27-2008 at 02:39 PM   #1
love_saskuran

Liked: 0 Times

math 1a03/1m03
i've been hearing alot that math 1A03 is actually easier then 1M03. is this true? or is it just the people who took that class saying that because they are just better at math, cause it is designed for science students after all. i was just confused because everything from the school says that if i dont plan on taking math past first year i should take 1M03, but basically everyone on macinsiders is saying the opposite. woe is me, what do i do?
Old 07-27-2008 at 02:56 PM   #2
samantha__
Elite Member

Liked: 9 Times

Take it from me, someone who has taken both, that 1A03 is considerably easier. Math 1A03 has nothing new from high school in it, except Anti-Dervatives aka Integration. I know they changed high school math this past year, so maybe you guys learned integration. Math 1M03 has more new topics in it. On top of that, I guarantee you alot more people take 1A03, so it'l be easier to find study groups/people taking it. I personally don't think it's really designed for science students; science students are not necessarily better at math. Everything you learn in either calculus class can be applied to whatever programs at the school that are mathy -- whether it is bio, chem, psych, economics, business, whatever. You should know that since they are anti-requisites, both will benefit you later, no matter which one you take.

love_saskuran says thanks to samantha__ for this post.
Old 07-27-2008 at 03:53 PM   #3
**jewel 03**

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by samantha__ View Post
Take it from me, someone who has taken both, that 1A03 is considerably easier. Math 1A03 has nothing new from high school in it, except Anti-Dervatives aka Integration. I know they changed high school math this past year, so maybe you guys learned integration. Math 1M03 has more new topics in it. On top of that, I guarantee you alot more people take 1A03, so it'l be easier to find study groups/people taking it. I personally don't think it's really designed for science students; science students are not necessarily better at math. Everything you learn in either calculus class can be applied to whatever programs at the school that are mathy -- whether it is bio, chem, psych, economics, business, whatever. You should know that since they are anti-requisites, both will benefit you later, no matter which one you take.
Is this still true if I did NOT take calc in high school and am only doing this course for my psych degree? If so, should I switch now (is it possible?) or should I wait it out?
Old 07-27-2008 at 04:00 PM   #4
samantha__
Elite Member

If you didn't take calc in high school, don't you need to take 1K03 first? Then 1A03 or 1M03?
Old 07-27-2008 at 05:20 PM   #5
**jewel 03**

Quote:
If you didn't take calc in high school, don't you need to take 1K03 first? Then 1A03 or 1M03?
yes that is why I am asking, for 2nd term what I should do/take?
Old 07-27-2008 at 05:23 PM   #6
samantha__
Elite Member

hmm.. I would suggest 1K03 first term then 1A03 second term. Is 1A03 at night during the 2nd term? I know alot of people who took it at night and most did pretty well. Also, if you feel youre doing too poorly at calc during the year, you could always do it during the summer. Alot of programs just require you to finish your Math 1A03/1M03 requirement before the end of 2nd year.
Old 07-27-2008 at 05:31 PM   #7
**jewel 03**

oh man I just checked it and i don't know if I am doing it wrong but it says it is only offered 1st term?? What should I do and how can that be possible?
Old 07-27-2008 at 06:34 PM   #8
samantha__
Elite Member

Call your department and tell them your situation. They'll help you sort it out
Old 07-27-2008 at 06:53 PM   #9
love_saskuran

Liked: 0 Times

damn, the class is full. what are the chances of a space freeing up?
Old 07-27-2008 at 07:59 PM   #10
samantha__
Elite Member

I'm sure people will be switching up once they get their timetable. People tend to flip flop with math, especially those who have a choice between 1A03 and 1M03. Another thing you could do is, call the Math department and ask them if 1A03 is actually full. Alot of times, SOLAR says theyre full but theyre not actually literally filled up
Old 07-27-2008 at 08:15 PM   #11
kenneth526
Elite Member

Liked: 41 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
damn, the class is full. what are the chances of a space freeing up?
Very good: if you email the department of mathematics (Undergrad team - [email protected] er.ca - HH105 - extension 26471) and explain that you're interested in taking 1A03 to keep your options opened I'm sure they'll open up a seat for you. But like samantha said, people add/drop courses like crazy towards the beginning of the term (especially when timetables are released).

love_saskuran, Taya all say thanks to kenneth526 for this post.
Old 07-27-2008 at 08:50 PM   #12
**jewel 03**

Sorry but I am still a bit confuse as to which to take. I am honestly not at all good at math and am just taking it to satisfy my Psych requirements . Therefore I assumed 1MO3 would be easier for me based on the fact that it was for Business, Humanities and Soc.Sci (I am in Soci. Sci). However based on what I have been reading in various posts, I am now confused as to which to take 1M03 or 1A03?? PLEASE HELP..I realize I need to decide soon!
Old 07-27-2008 at 09:00 PM   #13
samantha__
Elite Member

Honestly it's a personal decision, but as a person that is also not good at math, I found 1A03 to be much easier. And I remember at one point, with 1M03, 40% of the people taking it were failing it... something along those lines.

I'm in Social Science, I was in business, so I understand where you're coming from. At least with 1A03, 90% of the stuff you learn in it is fresh in your mind because of high school.
Old 07-27-2008 at 09:01 PM   #14
kenneth526
Elite Member

Liked: 41 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitaa View Post
Sorry but I am still a bit confuse as to which to take. I am honestly not at all good at math and am just taking it to satisfy my Psych requirements . Therefore I assumed 1MO3 would be easier for me based on the fact that it was for Business, Humanities and Soc.Sci (I am in Soci. Sci). However based on what I have been reading in various posts, I am now confused as to which to take 1M03 or 1A03?? PLEASE HELP..I realize I need to decide soon!
Hey anitaa,

I only took 1A03 and it honestly wasn't that bad. It was mostly high school review plus L'Hopital's rule and integration. Samantha took both classes and she also said 1A03 was considerably better. In any case, 1A03 is a good choice if you want to keep your upper year math options opened.

Old 07-28-2008 at 10:38 AM   #15
**jewel 03**

Quote:
Honestly it's a personal decision, but as a person that is also not good at math, I found 1A03 to be much easier. And I remember at one point, with 1M03, 40% of the people taking it were failing it... something along those lines.

I'm in Social Science, I was in business, so I understand where you're coming from. At least with 1A03, 90% of the stuff you learn in it is fresh in your mind because of high school.
is this still true if i did NOT take calc in high school but will be taking 1K03 first term? And if so what do I do if I want to take 1A03 but it isn't offered term 2 which is when I have to take it since I am taking 1K03 first term??