Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MATH 1B03 and PHYSICS 1BB3 ilovemac Academics 4 07-06-2009 09:59 PM

Math 1B03, Physics 1BB3 or Psych 1XX3?

Old 06-24-2012 at 04:15 PM   #1
infinitemac

Liked: 0 Times

Math 1B03, Physics 1BB3 or Psych 1XX3?
Hi there,

So I'm in the process of selecting courses for first year life science...so far I have selected these courses:

Biology 1A03
Biology 1M03
Psych 1X03
Math 1LS3
Chem 1A03
Chem 1AA3

I'm now stuck on picking the third 3 unit course...I was thinking either between Math 1B03, Physics 1BB3 or Psych 1XX3 since those are the "recommended" ones...what is the best option considering the course load I have and which one is most useful for upper year programs? Or is there another course I should decide on? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Oh and I haven't decided electives yet...still stuck on this 3rd course...
Old 06-24-2012 at 04:28 PM   #2
Milk.Tea

Liked: 21 Times

If you plan to take any upper year psych, then 1xx3 would be a good idea. Although, there are a few psych courses that don't need 1xx3 as a pre-requisite.
If you want to pursue more math in the future, math 1b03 would be a good idea.
Physics 1bb3, again, if you want to pursue more physics.
You should also look into the majors for second year. Dependent on what you want to major in, certain courses may be a better idea.
For example, the chemistry department requires that you have physics 1bb3, and math 1b03(which means you won't have to take chem 2pc3).
As for which will open more doors, I believe psych or math would do that.
Why not take both psych and math? You have enough room for it.
Old 06-24-2012 at 06:42 PM   #3
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Liked: 161 Times

I noticed Physics 1B03 wasn't in your list. You need 1B03 before you can take 1BB3, unless you have some sort of special waiver for it.

I don't know much about Math 1B03, but have you considered 1LT3? It's a continuation of 1LS3 and it's relatively easy, but will still count as prereqs for upper year math courses.

Like it was mentioned below, look at the upper year programs that you're interested in and see what courses they need. It'll help you decide which courses to take.
Old 06-24-2012 at 06:48 PM   #4
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitemac View Post
Hi there,

So I'm in the process of selecting courses for first year life science...so far I have selected these courses:

Biology 1A03
Biology 1M03
Psych 1X03
Math 1LS3
Chem 1A03
Chem 1AA3

I'm now stuck on picking the third 3 unit course...I was thinking either between Math 1B03, Physics 1BB3 or Psych 1XX3 since those are the "recommended" ones...what is the best option considering the course load I have and which one is most useful for upper year programs? Or is there another course I should decide on? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Oh and I haven't decided electives yet...still stuck on this 3rd course...
For psych, it really depends how much you like it. You probably won't know until you take 1X03 (even though 1X03 and 1XX3 are pretty different in terms of material, the style of the courses are the same). I believe 1XX3 is eventually required for honours life sci, but I could be wrong--double check the course calendar.

For physics, you need 1B03 before you take 1BB3, and I would definitely recommend that you take 1B03 (it's not on your list). Many 2nd year programs require it by the end of second year, so you might as well get it out of the way in first year. Most life scis take 1BB3 if it's required for professional school (ie if you need a full year of physics with lab), or to learn the material for the MCAT.

Unless you're taking math 1B03 out of interest, it's not very useful (assuming it's not required for the second-year programs you're considering--it's not required for very many!). You would need 1B03 and 1AA3 in order to take upper year math courses.

Also, when looking at programs for second year, the "recommended" courses won't really help you at all. 9 times out of 10, I have no idea why they're recommended.
Old 06-24-2012 at 07:20 PM   #5
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Look into what second year programs you plan on applying to. And then take electives based on what will allow you to meet these program requirements
Eg. since entrance in the chem/ chembio doesn't require Psych 1XX3, you dont need to take it if you dont want to (I didnt)
Personally, I would take Physics 1B03
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences
Old 06-24-2012 at 07:51 PM   #6
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
Unless you're taking math 1B03 out of interest, it's not very useful (assuming it's not required for the second-year programs you're considering--it's not required for very many!). You would need 1B03 and 1AA3 in order to take upper year math courses.
Maybe not useful for satisfying program requirements, but 1B03 is definitely the most useful first-year math course. All one gets out of calculus is a bunch of tools, most/all of which lifesci students never use anyway. Linear algebra is an introduction to a different, more conceptual way of thinking, and if developed, this proof-based form of reasoning can be beneficial in any program. Of course, 1B03 is very rudimentary and isn't very proof-heavy, but still, it's far better than 1A/1AA (let alone 1LS/1LT).
I'd say it's far more useful than psych and marginally more useful than physics, because it introduces you to a different way of thinking -- proof-based rather than plug-and-chug. The stuff from, say, psych 1XX3, is easily learned by a few hours on wikipedia.

Old 06-24-2012 at 07:56 PM   #7
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
Maybe not useful for satisfying program requirements, but 1B03 is definitely the most useful first-year math course. All one gets out of calculus is a bunch of tools, most/all of which lifesci students never use anyway. Linear algebra is an introduction to a different, more conceptual way of thinking, and if developed, this proof-based form of reasoning can be beneficial in any program. Of course, 1B03 is very rudimentary and isn't very proof-heavy, but still, it's far better than 1A/1AA (let alone 1LS/1LT).
I'd say it's far more useful than psych and marginally more useful than physics, because it introduces you to a different way of thinking -- proof-based rather than plug-and-chug. The stuff from, say, psych 1XX3, is easily learned by a few hours on wikipedia.
Lol yeah I was talking about usefulness for getting into second year programs (and that's why I had the "out of interest" qualifier).

In comparison, psych 1XX3 is extremely useful if, for example, the OP is looking to major or minor in psych

Darknight23 likes this.
Old 06-24-2012 at 09:36 PM   #8
Incognitus

Liked: 19 Times

In addition to what Mahratta mentioned (which I may argue, 90% of students in 1B03 aren't really exercising the right brain muscles, to advance their critical thinking), interested or not, pre-requisite or not, Math 1B03 is a highly practical course. You gain a mastery of (at the very least) an important skill, namely, solving systems of equations.

If there's any course material that I feel helped me out in 'unrelated' courses, it's definitely that. Knowing psychology, while interesting, won't help me learn something unrelated, but you have no idea when/where systems of equations show up. (Almost everywhere).

That and vectors I suppose. If you'll be learning physics at any point (either independently or in a course), you'll need fluency with vectors.
Old 06-25-2012 at 11:10 AM   #9
infinitemac

Liked: 0 Times

Oh yes, sorry, I forgot to include Physics IB03 in the list. The thing is I'm not sure what I want to decide as my level II program so I'm trying to take courses that would cover me for most programs, hence why I took the two chemistry's to cover me for a lot of the programs. I think I want to head in the direction of Honours Biology...so I'm thinking Physics 1BB3 won't be so useful as Math 1B03? By the way thank you very much to all for the help!!
Old 06-25-2012 at 11:25 AM   #10
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

2 bios, 2 chems, a math, psych, and a physics will get you into pretty much everything except physics programs. physics 1bb3 and math 1b03 aren't needed for any biology programs as far as i know so you wont need em. first term do physics, if you like it and want to continue doing it, take the second one. you dont need to decide all your 2nd term courses now especially when a class like physics has tons of space in it.