MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Math 1LT3 NahLeoNah3 Academics 14 06-30-2012 07:50 PM
Math 1LT3 Sim117 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 12-23-2011 11:17 AM
Math 1LT3 course website P.Avci First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 01-04-2011 04:31 PM
Compare Math 1lt3 And Math 1aa3 ? ruby101 Academics 21 07-07-2010 03:32 PM

Math 1LT3

Math 1LT3
Published by doublefudge
08-28-2012
Published by

Author review
Overall Rating
90%90%90%
Professor Rating
80%80%80%
Interest
70%70%70%
Easiness
100%100%100%
Average 85%
Math 1LT3

I took this over a year after taking Math 1LS3. I had forgotten almost everything, but it was pretty easy to catch up and do well.

There were three textbooks you have to get. One huge one and two smaller ones. All of them had really good practice questions that were almost identical to some test/exam questions. I would get the textbooks. I didn't for the first week or so and was completely lost in class because I had forgotten everything about Calculus ILS3. If you took Math 1LT3 right after LS3 you may not need the textbook that much.

Professor Erin Clements is really nice and fair. Her exams and tests were really straight forward, she never tries to throw curve balls. All questions have been talked about or done in class or assigned as a homework question.

We were given the option of having a different marking scheme where the exam could be worth 90%. This really helped some students as the exam was just questions taken from the two tests we had, but with different numbers and names. The ones not from the tests were from examples done in class.

Overall I highly recommend this for those who want to boost their GPA or be entertained by the guys shouting "I LOVE YOU PROFESSOR CLEMENTS!!" in class.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Math 1LT3!

Old 08-28-2012 at 07:48 PM   #2
Angoose
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times
She'll basically tell you what will be on the midterms... seriously.
Not a bad course at all, given that it can be a 90% exam. You could skip all the midterms and still come out on top .
Old 08-29-2012 at 02:00 PM   #3
L_Blankfein

Liked: 11 Times
Yeah, great class. The final exam was much easier than the midterms, IMO. Do the assignments + in-class problems until you are confident... get a 90 on the midterms. Most people overlook the in-class problems, which, in my opinion, is the difference between 86 & 90+.

Good luck to all taking it, Erin Clements is a good professor.
Old 12-19-2012 at 08:05 PM   #4
banana93

Liked: 11 Times
thanks for the review!

Old 01-09-2013 at 02:40 PM   #5
rpg51
Elite Member

Liked: 139 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angoose View Post
She'll basically tell you what will be on the midterms... seriously.
Not a bad course at all, given that it can be a 90% exam. You could skip all the midterms and still come out on top .
did you forget integration and differential equations too?
I am planning on taking this course and I forgot how to do both
Old 06-09-2013 at 12:57 PM   #6
Schen

Liked: 3 Times
Like the OP, I also took this course 1 year after taking my last math class; I took this course in winter 2013. It is very easy to catch up with the techniques (i.e. integration, solving differential equations, deriving, etc.) if you are rusty. This course had a fairly LIGHT courseload, with only 3 midterms and an exam (30% for your two best midterms + 40% exam or 10% best two midterms and 90% exam). Erin Clements was the one who taught this course at the time I took it and I found her to be amazing. She was clear, concise, and pretty. Her tests were fair (although I heard most found them to be quite long but they are still very do-able to get 90%+). In my opinion, her exam was easier than her midterms (maybe because there was a lot of time given). Overall, a lot of people enjoyed this course. It gives a good introduction to 3D functions and ways of manipulating them (to find level curves, maximum, minimum, domain, etc.)

I would recommend this course to anyone who has an interest in math, but not looking to explore math beyond an introductory level. However, if you are interested in upper year courses, I think it still adequately provides a good foundation for upper year courses (I am currently taking MATH 2A03).
Old 06-28-2013 at 04:36 PM   #7
Jason036

Liked: 25 Times
If you are able to do the assignments with no problems, would it be correct to say that the midterms will be as tolerable? (Clements as the prof)
Old 07-01-2013 at 02:48 PM   #8
SciGuy

Liked: 1 Time
Pretty easy course but Clements wasn't really the best professor. She was almost never on time for class, and she often rushed to finish problems towards the end of class. She also wasn't very helpful during office hours. The course would have been much better if it was taught by a professor who actually knew what they were doing...
Old 07-01-2013 at 02:49 PM   #9
SciGuy

Liked: 1 Time
(I have to make a post to make a rating)
Old 07-01-2013 at 02:52 PM   #10
gunsnroses

Liked: 3 Times
Pretty interesting course.
Old 01-05-2015 at 03:49 PM   #11
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone has taken this course a couple of years after taking 1LS3 and whether it's doable to catch up on the content. I like math, but I'm worried that I've literally forgotten everything since i learned it 4 years ago.. Any advice/insight would be much appreciated!

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search