MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
anyone good at math? math 1m03 assignment jennyh Academics 10 02-27-2013 05:10 PM
MATH 1M03 or MATH 1LS3 - Business 1 Commie42 Academics 46 12-08-2012 09:47 PM
Math 1K03 vs. Math 1F03, to take before Math 1M03 nazzymodes Academics 2 08-07-2012 04:41 PM
Need a math tutor? Need help with Math 1M03 or 1K03? Im your guy :D ShahrukhKhan Academics 4 08-19-2010 08:31 AM
MATH 1A03 or MATH 1M03? THIS COMMIE NEEDS HELP! numaya Academics 5 07-28-2010 05:45 PM

Math 1M03

Math 1M03
Calculus for Business, Humanities, and Social Science
Published by Dash49
05-31-2013
Published by

Math 1M03

PROF:
Lecturer - Dr. Chun-Kit Lai (the course is run by Dr. Protas, who writes the tests)
Tutorial Leader - Amanda Kamping-Carder

When introducing concepts, he likes to write out the proof first,then give you basic rules, do a numerical example, then a visual example. I wouldn't waste time writing out the proof unless you can actually understand it. His writing is very neat and legible. His class notes are really nicely typed out too.
He explains maths in really novel but understandable ways and really cares about the success of the students (which is really important to me personally). Not too great at responding to emails though.

*He has quite a thick accent but you do get used to it after a while. If you're not good at distinguishing accents then switch to another prof.

WORKLOAD/TEXT:
You surely need the textbook for this class. There are suggested problems posted ahead of time and it's best to do them as you go along. The workload for the textbook will take about 1-2 hours per section if you are somewhat comfortable with the material. Youtube videos and a facebook group really helped everyone out during my semester.

There is also one tutorial per week - I would highly recommend these if you do not understand the material at all, but you can get the same help from youtube videos online if you don't think the tutorial is worth your time.

ASSIGNMENTS/TESTS:
There is a self diagnostic quiz at the beginning - try and do it, no matter if you fail you get 2% for the course.

If you get the new editions of the textbook they automatically come with Connect software. If you do a 10-12 question assignment every 2 weeks (you usually have a week to do them) and you get an 8% bonus from your final, provided you get full marks on the assignment. The good thing is you have unlimited attempts, the bad thing is the Connect software is a real pain at taking formats that are different to its answer and sometimes the questions are impossible. If all else fails use Wolfram Alpha and the facebook group to figure these out. This is a really helpful bonus.

There are 3 midterms and one exam. Depending if you do the Connect assignments each midterm will be worth 14%(with Connect) or 15%. The first one isn't so bad and they progressively get harder and harder. If you're one to MSAF then do it on the last one - which I really don't recommend based on the exam results. The midterms are 15 MC questions and you have 80 minutes to do them. There are practise tests posted but close to none of the questions are repeated on the midterm. Watch out for some trick questions(1 or 2 tops).

The exam is worth 48% with the Connect bonus or 53% without, it is 3 hours long and has 30 MC questions. It's more heavily weighted on the material near the end of the course (which is quite difficult to understand) but it is cumulative. These questions are really difficult and nearly impossible if you don't understand the material - a really hard exam. The average I believe was low 60s, which when weighted at nearly half of your mark, is really detrimental. Again, the bonus helps out a lot.

OVERALL:
This was a really interesting course, the material isn't too bad until you get to the end. You do definitely need second order derivatives in year 2 courses as well as integration for those of you in Commerce. I have no clue what the exam was at all, but I did well on the tests and had the bonus so the mark was alright. Do not expect a 10 mark or higher from this course.

Disclaimer:
I really love maths, maybe not as math savy as an engineer. Good at picking up concepts quickly and understanding mathematical structures. I tried to write this review as honest as I could for everyone.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Math 1M03!

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search