100%100%100%
Interest
70%70%70%
Easiness
60%60%60%
Average 75%
Math 1x03

Course Description:
For students with interest in mathematics/statistics: emphasis on geometric intuition, but also theoretical foundations. Functions: limits, continuity, derivatives, optimization, curve sketching. Antiderivative, definite integral, techniques of integration.

Textbook:
Calculus: Early Transcendentals by James Stewart

Course Breakdown:
Self-diagnostic test: 2%
On-line assignments: 10%
Two midterm tests: 20% each
Final Examination: 48%

Assignments:
Assignments were given once a week with 10 questions or less. My professor was kind enough to not give us assignments during the weeks of the midterm. The difficulty of the questions varied. Some were easy enough to do in your head, while others required days upon days of work before fully understanding the question. My year was given ten tries per question.
Just like MATH 1A03, the assignments were done via WebAssign.

Midterms:
The midterms were overall challenging. They were not necessarily difficult but required time and patience to write them. The problems were similar to those in the textbook and in the lecture notes. They covered a wide range of topics, so you needed to know everything taught in order to score high.

Final Exam:
Unlike the midterms, the questions on the final exam were closer to those on the assignments. The final exam covered everything we learned, right down to the minor details, thus you had to know everything in order to score high. The exam was very tedious and long, but doable.

Comparison to 1A03:
The significant difference between the two courses lies in the amount of theory learned in 1X03 opposed to the small amount in 1A03. The overall topics were the same, with the exception of the last unit (Convergent and Divergent Functions). However, in 1X03, you are not expected to know how to prove a theorem, but are expected to understand where it comes from.

Final Thoughts:

My professor was Dr. Matheus Grasselli. He's probably one of the coolest professors ever, for reasons that you'll only understand when you meet him. He's very approachable and conveys the material very well.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Math 1x03!

Old 10-26-2010 at 02:17 AM   #2
Naml
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 1 Time
WebAssign is really easy, maybe too easy, I wish the assignments were worth more than 10%
Old 02-23-2012 at 01:42 AM   #3
jordmark

Liked: 0 Times
we dont have webassign for this course anymore. and the assignments arent graded if you took calc, this is an easy course
Old 12-19-2012 at 03:03 PM   #4
hilton

Liked: 42 Times
Welp, when I took this course, the following was left out:

1. Optimization
2. Definite integration
3. Trig integrals, trig substitution

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search