Professor Rating
90%90%90%
Interest
90%90%90%
Easiness
80%80%80%
Average 85%
Mathematics 2X03

This course is the successor to math 1XX3 / 1AA3, and is primarily geared towards math majors. Physics and science students generally take 2A03, which covers the same 'methods' as both 2X03 and 2XX3, but doesn't go in-depth in terms of proof and underlying mathematical concepts.

This course mainly covered real multivariate differential calculus (yeah, it's a mouthful), particularly the differentiation of functions in two categories:
(i) Multiple inputs and a single output (R^n to R, so-called real scalar-valued functions)
(ii) Single (/multiple) input(s) and multiple outputs (R^n to R^m, so-called real vector-valued functions)

We also covered double and triple integration, particularly Cavalieri's principle, Fubini's theorem, and various computational methods.

In terms of actual 'content' - that is, methods of computation - this course contains less new calculus than 2A03. However, it gives more motivation for why and how we can do calculus in the first place. Proofs were emphasized in class, but the tests were mainly all computation. The tests were easier than the tests for 2R03 conceptually, but were 'harder' in the sense of a whole lot more computation.

The instructor,Dr. Bronsard, was good. She was quite clear when covering the concepts, but was hard to understand at times. Overall, however, I think she was a good professor and covered the material well. She threw in plenty of interesting asides on topics ranging from classical mechanics to the calculus of variations to Lebesgue integration. Mike (Mowicz) TA'd this course, and was great - tutorials were interesting and really added to the material - he's great to talk to in-person as well. He'd probably be able to give a better description of the course than I would.

Mark breakdown:

10% written assignments
2*25% midterms
40% final
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Mathematics 2X03!

Old 04-18-2011 at 09:15 AM   #2
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times
I'm looking forward to taking this next year. Is it the same textbook for math 2X03 and 2XX3?

Last edited by Eternal Fire : 04-18-2011 at 09:19 AM.
Old 04-18-2011 at 01:59 PM   #3
RankNullity

Liked: 27 Times
Yup same book for both 2X03 and 2XX3
Old 05-08-2011 at 08:30 PM   #4
SydVicious
Account Locked

Liked: 21 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RankNullity View Post
Yup same book for both 2X03 and 2XX3
what is the textbook called?

Old 05-09-2011 at 11:49 PM   #5
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SydVicious View Post
what is the textbook called?
We used 'Vector Calculus' by Marsden & Tromba.

Dopematic, SydVicious all say thanks to Mahratta for this post.
Old 06-27-2011 at 02:04 PM   #6
jon00

Liked: 0 Times
i'm going into chembio and i want to do a minor in math. should i take 2A03 or 2X03?
Old 06-28-2011 at 07:08 PM   #7
Dopematic

Liked: 28 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon00 View Post
i'm going into chembio and i want to do a minor in math. should i take 2A03 or 2X03?
I'd say take 2X03, since more upper year courses require it as a pre-req
Old 06-29-2011 at 11:28 AM   #8
waseea

What is the main difference between 2x03 and 2a03? Do either one of them have proofs? I'm taking 2r03 in the summer but I want to drop it would you say 2a03 is much easier than 2r03?
Old 08-21-2011 at 04:18 PM   #9
Dopematic

Liked: 28 Times
Alriiiiight, so I just cracked open my calculus textbook from last year (1A03/1AA3) and realized that I'm a little rusty. Are they gonna assume that last year's material is still fresh, or are they gonna go pretty slow at first/have a quick review of the old stuff?
Old 02-13-2012 at 08:25 PM   #10
M1234

easy course...take it with prof Alama, best prof ever! his notes are descriptive (tiring to write during class but) u wont need to use the textbook except to do homework problems

got an easy 12 eventhough messed up one of the tests big time... he has 2 or 3 grading schemes

ps. i took this course 2 years after my 1st yr math courses, so i did NOT rmr anything at all from my first yr maths.
Old 04-20-2013 at 05:39 PM   #11
xThai

Liked: Liked 2 Times
Professor Wang taught the course in the Fall of 2012. I enjoyed his teaching style. The assignments he gave out were straight from the textbook so they weren't too bad and his midterms were rather easy, he made the exam hard purposely because the midterm averages were too high.

Overall, it was an easy course. It was just redoing Math1X03 with several variables.
Old 12-11-2013 at 07:36 AM   #12
sarahwilkin

I just finished this course with Dr. Wang. He is a great prof, went to visit him in office hours and he is always willing to help. Also great but weird sense of humour in class so never a dull moment. I was at first a bit worried about taking this course because I took math 1LT3 before, but I was totally fine! There were concepts I learned in LT3 like gradients and directional derivatives that helped me out, and I only had to fill myself in on a few things. Assignments were pretty straightforward, some were a bit tedious. Tests were easy and fair, exam was not too bad but prepare yourself for multiple choice and definitions at the end which are worth a fair amount. But definitely a great course

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search