MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Faculty and Program Series Part Nine: The Arts and Sciences Program lorend Academics 0 09-20-2009 08:16 AM
Faculty and Program Series Part Seven: Medical Radiation Sciences Program jhan523 Faculty & Program Series 1 09-05-2009 12:53 AM
Faculty and Program Series Part Two: The Indigenous Studies Program lorend Faculty & Program Series 9 08-24-2009 02:56 PM

MD/PhD Program at U of T

Old 06-15-2011 at 03:30 PM   #1
BonnieH

Liked: 0 Times

MD/PhD Program at U of T
Does anyone know if, for the MD/PhD program at U of T, you can get accepted for the MD part and not the PhD part? Or do you have to be accepted on the basis of both applications to get into med school?
Old 06-15-2011 at 03:41 PM   #2
SciMania
Elite Member

Liked: 74 Times

My understanding is that they are independent, you have 2 separate interviews, one for the MD and another for the PhD. So based on this, you can probably be accepted for the MD but not the PhD.

BonnieH says thanks to SciMania for this post.
Old 06-15-2011 at 04:14 PM   #3
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieH View Post
Does anyone know if, for the MD/PhD program at U of T, you can get accepted for the MD part and not the PhD part? Or do you have to be accepted on the basis of both applications to get into med school?
That wouldn't be the MD/PhD program anymore. If you're aiming for medicine, then you just apply to med, you don't need to apply to MD/PhD. The MD/PhD without the PhD component, is simply the normal MD program. They're 2 different programs offered by U of T.
Also, the two programs are not independent, those accepted into MD/Phd are still part of the MD class at U of T, however, they're also PhD students.
Old 06-15-2011 at 04:18 PM   #4
Ivan Q.

Liked: 10 Times

Last time I checked (which was a couple years ago), in applying for MD/PhD you need to have applied separately to both MD and PhD. After being successful and getting into both the MD and the PhD programs, I think you have some final paper work that lets you do MD/PhD... as your program will be designed a bit differently.
Old 06-15-2011 at 04:39 PM   #5
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

What I heard at the grad fair last week is that it's not a regular PhD program on it's own, there's a sperate committee for MD/PhD admissions in addition to MD admissions.
Here's the link for more info: http://www.mdphd.utoronto.ca /Prosp...Admissions.htm
Old 06-16-2011 at 02:36 AM   #6
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

I'm pretty sure it will be a lot more competitive than just the regular MD. Good luck.