MacInsiders Logo

Med Physics Vs Physics

Old 10-22-2010 at 02:54 PM   #1
Jason036

Liked: 25 Times

Med Physics Vs Physics
What's the difference?
I'm not a huge fan of physics, but from what I hear I would be interested in some Medical Radiation Sciences.
Is one easier than the other?
I'm in Life Science right now, and I need one year of physics. I hear Physics 1B03 is pretty difficult.

Lastly, anyone hear anything about this professor Rheinstadter? Compared to Hughes, how is he? I've got a friend in Physics 1B03 that says Hughes is brutal.

Thankyouuuu.
Old 10-22-2010 at 03:00 PM   #2
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

physics never gets any easier however it gets more enjoyable. If you like life science than maybe med phys is for you. As for me, I'm anti-life science so I sticked to the pure physics field

amyshi likes this.
Old 10-22-2010 at 05:11 PM   #3
amyshi

Liked: 19 Times

I loved Hughes, she'd my fav prof so far. Anyways, medical physics is more "medical" than physics.
Old 10-22-2010 at 07:28 PM   #4
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Medical Physics and Medical Radiation Science are two different fields and programs.

Medical physics has to deal a lot with health physics and radiation biology. How radiation reacts with biological systems, how radiation is created etc.

Medical Radiation Science is radiography and radiation therapy such as ultrasound, sonography, and clinical placements.

Also, Phys 1B03 is not hard at all. Huges is pretty amazing. Phys 1B03 has really nothing to do with either of these courses, but you need the background physics its provides.
I recommend taking Med Phys 1E03 for a better look at medical physics.
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences
Old 10-22-2010 at 08:18 PM   #5
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by djRAIN View Post
Medical Physics and Medical Radiation Science are two different fields and programs.

Medical physics has to deal a lot with health physics and radiation biology. How radiation reacts with biological systems, how radiation is created etc.

Medical Radiation Science is radiography and radiation therapy such as ultrasound, sonography, and clinical placements.

Also, Phys 1B03 is not hard at all. Huges is pretty amazing. Phys 1B03 has really nothing to do with either of these courses, but you need the background physics its provides.
I recommend taking Med Phys 1E03 for a better look at medical physics.
Everything he said is correct. There are a few fundamental rules and strategies you need to follow, and every physics problem becomes the same. Hughes is a ridiculously effective instructor, people don't like her because she doesn't teach them how to solve the problems, she teaches them how to think about physics in general. In other words, she indirectly gives you the tools, and most people are too lazy to do the work required to transfer that into knowing how to solve problems.
Old 10-22-2010 at 09:48 PM   #6
Buszaj

Liked: 125 Times

Do NOT take medical physics, unless you're prepared to learn about some in depth stuff. The medical physics course I took (first year) dealt with the physics behind medical imaging techniques. X-ray, MRI, CAT scan, etc. It got quite in depth, going into how the protons turn 90 degrees in an MRI and crazy shit. There was also no textbook....So stick with 1B03!

mellye likes this.
Old 10-23-2010 at 10:48 AM   #7
Jason036

Liked: 25 Times

Thanks for the info guys