MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Medical Radiation Science Vs Medical Physics and Applied Radiation Sciences Kajee First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 10-24-2011 09:02 AM
Fellow Medical Physics Students? ConfusedTaco Academics 0 09-12-2011 09:15 AM
Medical Physics Courses? MirandaC First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 04-24-2011 10:50 PM
Level 2 -- Honours Medical Physics MedPhys First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 02-18-2011 04:07 PM
Astrophysics? Medical Physics? Honours Physics? Engineering? Which to choose? tammy37 Academics 9 05-14-2009 02:11 AM

Medical Physics questions

Old 12-05-2011 at 12:23 AM   #1
RadiantL

Liked: 1 Time

Medical Physics questions
Hi, I'm in first year life sci and considering medical physics for my level 2, and I'm just trying to hit as many courses as I can in first year. Unfortunately I am going to have to take physics 1BB3 or 1BA3 in the summer because I took physics 1L03. Anyway according to the program notes it says CHEM 1AA3 completion is recommended because it serves as a pre-requisite for CHEM 2OA3 but I don't see CHEM 2OA3 as one of the courses needed by the end of level 4.

So question is, do I need to take CHEM 1AA3?
Old 12-05-2011 at 06:58 AM   #2
rlevitin
MacInsiders Street Team

Liked: 24 Times

Hey, the Medical Physics program just changed their curriculum around quite a lot so that there is more freedom in the course selection process, and more focus throughout the program (a good thing imo!)

According to the new program listed on their website, organic chem is no longer required.

If you want to be extra-certain, the person to contact is Nicholas Bock, the undergraduate chair. He'll be able to tell you the final word.

The note is probably there for those who are considering medical school or need organic chemistry for some graduate work -- which is something you should consider.

Last edited by rlevitin : 12-05-2011 at 07:01 AM.
Old 12-05-2011 at 03:59 PM   #3
RadiantL

Hmm looks like I should of did a much more careful job of course selection. Thanks for the reply, how do you like your experience with Medical Physics? Like how was the overall feel of the course

Oh, and I was also wondering how many electives are you allowed in level 2 of Medical physics
Old 12-05-2011 at 07:21 PM   #4
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

chem 1aa3 isnt too hard of a course. At least take it during the summer. Being in med pyshic even if they dont make you take it, intro to orgo will come in handy.
Old 12-06-2011 at 07:44 PM   #5
rlevitin
MacInsiders Street Team

Liked: 24 Times

If you follow my previous link, you'll see there are two electives in first and second year according to the new curriculum. You might even be able to fit your chem courses into those slots and count your first year courses as the electives.

Overall, I really like Med Phys. It's a great combination of digital/computer tech, math, physics, biology, and anatomy. I also did the co-op stream, and depending where you are placed (how your job search goes) it's a huge boost in experience.

If you aren't scared by tech-y stuff and by math, and if you're interested in medical technologies (diagnostic xray/ultrasound/mri/nuclear med) then it's a super program. As with any program though, you will have to work. This program in particular is very lab-heavy, Try to understand the context of your labs ahead of time so you know what they are trying to teach/show you and why.
Old 12-07-2011 at 03:46 PM   #6
RadiantL

Thanks for the info! The program sounds pretty awesome, totally looking forward to second year. All I need to do now is hit the entry requirements, I'm thinking of taking both physics 1B03 and 1BB3 in the summer, what are your thoughts on this?