MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Partial Course Load and Medical School TLulu Academics 2 09-10-2010 01:34 PM
Medical School Courses exuberant888 Academics 7 07-31-2010 06:01 PM
Ontario Medical School Requirements samtheman89 Academics 54 08-28-2009 02:20 PM
medical school!! ishk33 Academics 13 07-30-2009 09:42 AM
medical school req Avenger Academics 2 10-06-2008 09:10 AM

Medical School Advice

Old 09-25-2010 at 12:43 AM   #76
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 814 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carefree View Post
I didn't have a 4.0 and have never volunteered around the world. As a matter of fact, the same goes for several of my classmates in medical school. Competition should not deter people from something they want.
Im sorry you had a 3.8 avg and volunteered 50 hours a week, my sincere apologies.
Old 09-25-2010 at 12:45 AM   #77
Carefree

Liked: 25 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needlenose View Post
Hello Mitch,

Congratulations on getting into medical school and thanks for all your helpful advice.
I have some questions for you as well: When do you think is the best time to do the MCAT? Do you think a person can get by with the Physics section without taking Physics 1BB3?
What sort of extra-curricular activities did you have while in university?

Thanks!
I'm not Mitch, but I am currently in second year Medicine at U of T.

The best time to write the MCAT is after second year for most, because you would have completed all your relevant courses by then. If you do poorly, you have the opportunity to rewrite the following year.

Physics 1BB3 was very minimally covered on the MCAT, a good prep book will be adequate. The topics on the MCAT can change however, so you can check the AAMC website to see specifically which topics are to be studied and see what you will be missing. I did take this course and thought it was great with Dr. Nejat.

I had leadership roles in a few clubs, hospital volunteering, community volunteering, a few awards from Mac and external, minor research experience. There is no cookie cutter approach, because everyone does the cliche things. When I will be doing file reviews in a few weeks for next year's incoming class at U of T, I personally will be looking for things that make students stand out/unique.

Needlenose says thanks to Carefree for this post.
Old 09-25-2010 at 12:51 AM   #78
Carefree

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluandExile View Post
Im sorry you had a 3.8 avg and volunteered 50 hours a week, my sincere apologies.
Wrong again...lol.

While I agree there are many other excellent medical professions, it shouldn't stop people from applying to medicine. It is very competitive and it does require a lot of work, but that shouldn't deter anyone from applying if they really are interested in the profession.
Old 09-25-2010 at 01:03 AM   #79
Rakim
Account Locked

Quote:
Wrong again...lol.

While I agree there are many other excellent medical professions, it shouldn't stop people from applying to medicine. It is very competitive and it does require a lot of work, but that shouldn't deter anyone from applying if they really are interested in the profession.
Im just kidding, take no notice of my bitterness.
Old 09-25-2010 at 08:10 AM   #80
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Also, can anyone please share their reasons for "why" medicine?

I think this reason varies from person to person. Social justice is something that is incredibly important to me and currently there are many inadequacies in the current health care system (especially for LGBTQ, new immigrant, and other marginalized populations). It's a lot I was debating whether to go into health policy (via law), but I'm much stronger with scientific knowledge than writing essays. And even after I finish my MD, there are many Masters of Public Health programs catered to physicians who want to influence health policy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclover View Post
mac health sci are so baby fed lol.. health sci ppl get to mark some of their courses(so obv. they will give themselves A+).. their workload is very light(30 units every year) compared to sciences and engineering... and guess what, a light workload and free marks from bird courses gives them loads of scholarships...

So unfair to other faculties who are also applying to med school or are just trying to get better grades..
A lot of the people in my program from Mac aren't health sci - there are many biology/biopsych/biochem students.

Granted, when I tell people I'm from Mac the first thing they do is ask "Health Sci?" but once they find out I'm from biology, they're a lot friendlier.

brit- i'll pm you.

Quote:
HealthSci at mac is not as respected as HealthSci programs at other schools. MedSchools know that healthsci's have inflated grades, and the students are treated as such. An 11 cgpa from healthSci will not be as highly regarded as an 11 from a science program (expect maybe for Mac's MedSchool).

Not true.

Old 09-26-2010 at 04:25 PM   #81
manap3000
Account Locked

Liked: 64 Times

Quote:
Why is everyone so set on med school?

There are other career opportunities available to you, especially when everyone applying has a 4.0 avg and managed to volunteer around the world.
b/c "everyone" (not really everyone, just some at mac) is living in a dream world where they see becoming a doctor as a way of elevating their social status as an adult, pretty much an ego boost if you will. What i guarantee you is these kids have not worked a day in their life and either have mommy and daddy footing the bill, or dont mind being in some SERIOUS debt. now for the few that do get in (congratulations to them, no hate seriously) their are 1000's left with crummy degree's (life science, kinesiology, etc..) that have to fend for themselves in their real world and in their attempt to become superior dont really amount to anything............. ...THATS WHY!!!

and you have to wonder why this guy decided to even make a thread detailing how he got into med school. Out of the goodness of his heart? maybe. but maybe he wants everyone else to bask in his glory. and why would you be happy if he got in, especially if this is the year you get your degree, it just means theres one less spot left for you.

Last edited by manap3000 : 09-26-2010 at 04:36 PM.
Old 09-26-2010 at 07:39 PM   #82
Carefree

I wouldn't say you're living in a dream world if you believe being a physician will "elevate your social status." Medicine is one of the most well respected professional fields, especially in Canada. If this is a student's prime motivation however, it becomes very difficult to actually get in. Becoming a medical student in Canada comes down to getting your priorities straight, hard work, smart decisions and making some sacrifices.

It's sad to see those "pre-med" students who spend 90% of their time chilling, dressing up, partying and trying their hardest to emulate the cast of Jersey Shore. From what I hear, this is becoming pretty common at Mac these days. If you prioritize slacking, procrastinating and partying over getting that extra 10% on a test, it becomes very hard/impossible to get in. The difference between an 80 and a 90 is HUGE if you intend on practicing in Canada one day. Undergrad is a time that you have the opportunity to make or break your chances. Several of my classmates had intentions of getting into a Canadian medical school, but lost the plot after a few months/years.

A lot of these students end up in the Caribbean, which is not bad, but can be catastrophic as well. From what I hear, there are limited Canadian Residency spots for overseas applicants, it is VERY competitive practice in Canada with an International MD.

I think the Caribbean route is a viable option for those who are capable of focus and working hard, but due to some unforeseen reason or circumstances did not do very well in undergrad. They will have the drive and focus to land a Canadian Residency.

For those who have essentially pissed away their Undergrad and have no viable excuse for doing poorly, it puzzles me as to how they will get into a Canadian Residency program later on, something that is arguably harder for overseas applicants than even getting into Medical School here in the first place. Sadly, these are the people that come back with $200,000 debts and nothing to show for it.

Point of the day is, if you think you value being "cool" over your education, don't aim for Medicine. This isn't high school anymore, undergrad is a glimpse of the real world.

Last edited by Carefree : 09-26-2010 at 08:00 PM.

Needlenose, optimism, Skye like this.
Old 09-26-2010 at 07:43 PM   #83
Rakim
Account Locked

Quote:
I wouldn't say you're living in a dream world if you believe being a physician will "elevate your social status." Medicine is one of the most well respected professional fields, especially in Canada. If this is a student's prime motivation however, it becomes very difficult to actually get in. Becoming a medical student in Canada comes down to getting your priorities straight, hard work, smart decisions and making some sacrifices.

It's sad to see those "pre-med" students who spend 90% of their time chilling, dressing up, partying and trying their hardest to emulate the cast of Jersey Shore. From what I hear, this is becoming pretty common at Mac these days. If you prioritize slacking, procrastinating and partying over getting that extra 10% on a test, it becomes very hard/impossible to get in. The difference between an 80 and a 90 is HUGE if you intend on practicing in Canada one day. Undergrad is a time that you have the opportunity to make or break your chances. Several of my classmates had intentions of getting into a Canadian medical school, but lost the plot after a few months/years.

A lot of these students end up in the Caribbean, which is not bad, but can be catastrophic as well. From what I hear, there are limited Canadian Residency spots for overseas applicants, it is VERY competitive practice in Canada with an International MD.

I think the Caribbean route is a viable option for those who are capable of focus and working hard, but due to some unforeseen reason or circumstances did not do very well in undergrad. They will have the drive and focus to land a Canadian Residency.

For those who have essentially pissed away their Undergrad and have no viable excuse for doing poorly, it puzzles me as to how they will get into a Canadian Residency program later on, something that is arguably harder for overseas applicants than even getting into Medical School here in the first place. Sadly, these are the people that come back with $200,000 debts and nothing to show for it.

Point of the day is, if you think you value being "cool" over your education, don't aim for Medicine. This isn't high school anymore, undergrad is a glimpse of the real world.
Your post is completely unrelated to what that poster said.
Old 09-26-2010 at 08:07 PM   #84
Carefree

Quote:
I think we both shared the opinion that social status should not be the prime motivating factor for studying medicine? Then I went on to share my own ideas. That's generally how forums work I believe.

Skye likes this.
Old 09-26-2010 at 08:25 PM   #85
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
No, but it's quite related to your complaining that there's no point even trying to aim for medical school.
Old 09-26-2010 at 08:30 PM   #86
Rakim
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
No, but it's quite related to your complaining that there's no point even trying to aim for medical school.
u mad?
Old 09-26-2010 at 11:04 PM   #87
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:

Hell, if I got into a med school, I'd start a hundred threads I'd be so happy.
Old 09-26-2010 at 11:21 PM   #88
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by manap3000 View Post

and you have to wonder why this guy decided to even make a thread detailing how he got into med school. Out of the goodness of his heart? maybe. but maybe he wants everyone else to bask in his glory. and why would you be happy if he got in, especially if this is the year you get your degree, it just means theres one less spot left for you.

This.

Best post going so far on macinsiders.

Quote:

Undergrad is sooo ****ing legit and glimpsing 'real world'

Last edited by andrew22 : 09-26-2010 at 11:24 PM.
Old 09-26-2010
andrew22
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 09-27-2010 at 07:19 PM   #89
mitch
Elite Member

Liked: 75 Times

I'm not sure how to reply to some of these recent posts but I'll try to be as honest as possible.

Needlenose, check your PM.

For health sci's at Mac, I always thought that they were baby fed. I had felt angry at them because I felt that I went through such rigorous exams when they did not. And that's partly true. They don't have exams in the traditional sense, just lots of projects and presentations. What I have come to realize after a month of medical school is that these people are some of the smartest students I have ever seen. They work non-stop and for the most part, are really helpful and open to others. I guess that if they didn't have the personal side, then they wouldn't get past the interview stage. I do think that the health sci program prepares them better for medical school. Saying this, they probably do get higher marks than others on average. The problem doesn't lie with the students. The problem is that everyone's program in undergrad should be structured like Mac Health Sci's is, or to a degree of some sort. I have seen the things they have been privileged to work with and experience, and I am very jealous. It is very much like Mac's medical school at a lower level. If all the programs (general sci, bio, kin, chem, etc) were structured like this, it would lead to much better learning, higher grades, and better preparedness for the future. After a month of medschool, my frustrations toward the healthsci program have turned to admiration, and I wish the schools would do this as well.

As for manap3000, I couldn't care less of what you think about my motivations for this thread. I think it's strange that you think I want everyone to bask in my glory because I take time out of my studies, meetings, my roommate's funeral and other things to answer student's questions about the medschool process. If this comes off as gloating then I'm sorry but based on the number of questions and thanks I have got up to this point, I don't think that most people consider this a bad thing. I try with every post to not come off as bragging because I know it's easy to do so or to take my words in another tense. I only write to help others, because I did not have this when I went through undergrad, and I for sure could have used some help from other students. And saying that others should not take advice but instead should be unhappy that someone has taken up a spot is dumbfounded. Are you going to be mad at all the people who get into a program up until you get in as well, when all of a sudden you're supposed to be a family? That's not going to work out, and that's the kind of attitude that's just not going to cut it in this profession.

Last edited by mitch : 09-27-2010 at 07:42 PM.

Carefree, Needlenose, sycoman all say thanks to mitch for this post.

brendanp, rakhrans, Skye like this.