MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
MedRadSc 1A03 eycc11 1st Year Course Reviews 8 08-07-2012 07:13 PM
MedRadSc 1C03 eycc11 1st Year Course Reviews 4 03-06-2012 08:58 PM
Anyone selling 2nd year MedRadSc textbooks? jaym Academics 1 07-25-2010 03:34 PM
Why don't Physics 1B03/Bio 1B03 have any tutorials listed on Master Timetable :| ? m0nica First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 07-12-2010 10:00 AM

MedRadSc 1B03

Intro to Pathology
Published by eycc11
06-24-2009
Published by

Author review
Overall Rating
60%60%60%
Professor Rating
70%70%70%
Interest
80%80%80%
Easiness
50%50%50%
Average 65%
My instructor was Jan Gyorffy when I took this course in January 2008. I don’t think Jan is teaching anymore because she has retired, but you’ll see her around in the Ultrasound lab sometimes if you go into Ultrasound. But anyway, we had 3 lectures each week.

Whichever section you’re in, the instructor will be using the same PowerPoint presentation. They are usually posted before each lecture, but in more of a fill-in-the-blank format, so you pretty much have to go to the lectures. We learned a lot from this course (and it’s mandatory!). It required a lot of “memorization” because we learned all the processes that occur with infection and inflammation, healing, fever and immunity to congenital defects to pharmacology and substance abuse. (It seemed very much like a pre-med course.)

MARK BREAKDOWN
Group Presentation: 20%
Tests: 2 x 20% = 40%
Exam: 40%

The group presentation was just like the MedRadSc 1A03 group assignment. Each group had to pick/was given a body system, and we had to do some research on the various diseases and disorders that can affect that body system. The tests and exam were a bit tricky. But I think that’s just because there’s just so much material that can be tested. You just have to really stay on top of everything.

TEXTBOOKS
1. Pathophysiology for Health Professions (Gould)
2. Essentials for Pathophysiology Concepts (Porth)
3. Course Manual

TheMist, twitterbird all say thanks to eycc11 for this post.

TheMist likes this.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for MedRadSc 1B03!

Old 06-04-2010 at 02:56 PM   #2
_Luu_
Elite Member

Liked: 184 Times
This course was a bit different than the year before. Less topics were covered, plus there wasn't a group project.

Breakdown
2 Midterms x 25% each = 50%
50% Final

Course Materials
Pathophysiology for the Health Professions 3rd edition by Gould
Essentials of Pathophysiology 2nd edition by Porth
Course Manual (it was available online, don't know if that will also be the case for next year)

The course itself
A lot of stuff to memorize. What makes it a bit easier is that you won't have to memorize everything, and you may find it interesting, which should motivate you enough to want to study this lecture notes. Studying from the notes should be sufficient; I recommend using the book by Gould to supplement (or if you're really stuck). I found the book by Porth to be useless.

Instructor

I had Regy Mathew this year, although next time it'll be Leslie Murray.

Midterms/Final

No problem solving, no applications. Just regurgitation. The exams were fair, and the difficulty with all three exams were consistent. That's good; if you do screw up your first exam you'll be able to make a better judgement on what's needed for improvement.

Advice
Do not leave this stuff last minute. The earlier you review the material the exam will be much easier. Also, if you do get stuck on a question in the exam, just read it carefully, think it through, and the correct answer should become quite obvious.

Good luck with MEDRADSC 1B03!

TheMist says thanks to _Luu_ for this post.

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search