MacInsiders Logo
Old 03-04-2011 at 03:47 AM   #1
RonPrice

Liked: 16 Times

Mia Farrow And The Omen: 666
MIA FARROW AND THE OMEN: 666

I saw The Omen(2006) two or three nights ago on Australian TV. The movie did not start until 1 in the morning. I was too tired to watch the whole movie and went to bed about 2 and missed the last half. I read the story on Wikipedia out of curiosity the next day. I also read a digest of the other Omen films which have been all over the place in the 40 years from 1976 to 2006. The Omen, Damien: Omen II, Omen III: The Final Conflict and Omen IV: The Awakening as well as The Omen:666. Now you can watch replays on TV. You can watch them on DVD and, if you are into the new technology, on your iPod or iPad. I’m happy to wait until movies come onto TV as The Omen:666 did this week.

Mia Farrow appeared as Mrs. Baylock, the Satanic nanny, in the remake of The Omen:666. Though the film itself received a lukewarm critical reception, Farrow's performance was widely praised, with the Associated Press(AP) declaring "thank heaven for Mia Farrow." Her performance resulted in, as the AP put it: "a rare instance of this new Omen improving on the old one." Filmcritic.com added: "it is Farrow who steals the show", and the Seattle Post-Intelligencer described her performance as "a truly delicious comeback of Rosemary in Rosemary’s Baby. Mia Farrow is chillingly believable as a sweet-talking nanny from hell." -Ron Price, Wikipedia, 17 January 2011.

As I surveyed all these Omens1
I became more interested in Mia
Farrow. All this 666 stuff, this
Book of Revelation playing is a
very old game going way back to
the first century with this piece of
apocalyptic literature. And it is a
game anyone can play with a little
keen interest in the symbolism of..
this 666!!1

1 Wikipedia and several other internet sites provided me with excellent overviews of the entire set of Omen films.
2 I have come to favour ‘Abdul-Baha’s explanation that 666 applies to the first Umayyad Caliph who came to power in the year 666 of the Christian era. Ali was the true successor whom Muhammad publicly named “Leader” (“Imam”) a few months before his death. (See: M. Gail, Six Lessons on Islam 6.29)

Old 03-04-2011 at 06:47 AM   #2
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

What is this I don't even..

RyanC likes this.
Old 03-04-2011 at 08:01 AM   #3
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

The Omen is a great movie.
Old 03-04-2011 at 08:57 AM   #4
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

I don't get it
Old 03-04-2011 at 11:18 AM   #5
Mr.Prodigy

Liked: 43 Times

You need to get out more
Old 03-04-2011 at 05:24 PM   #6
RonPrice

Thanks for the Responses Folks
With prophecy, as with many things in life, interpretation is the thing. And interpretation comes in many forms. With poetry, this is also true. A poem can be seen in many ways. For those who "don't get" my prose-poem, not to worry. You can just watch the movie and take it any which way you choose.-Ron Price, Alumni 1966, now living in Tasmania, Australia
Old 03-04-2011 at 06:15 PM   #7
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Liked: 357 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonPrice View Post
With prophecy, as with many things in life, interpretation is the thing. And interpretation comes in many forms. With poetry, this is also true. A poem can be seen in many ways. For those who "don't get" my prose-poem, not to worry. You can just watch the movie and take it any which way you choose.-Ron Price, Alumni 1966, now living in Tasmania, Australia

Mikob11 likes this.
Old 03-04-2011 at 08:54 PM   #8
RonPrice

why did you post this?
I'm not sure, ReDorkulateD, what your post on Methamphetamine also known as metamfetamine, methylamphetamine, N-methylamphetamine, desoxyephedrine, and colloquially as "meth" or "crystal meth", is doing in this thread. It is a psychostimulant of the phenethylamine and amphetamine class of drugs. It increases alertness, concentration, energy, and in high doses, can induce euphoria, enhance self-esteem, and increase libido.Methamphetamine has high potential for abuse and addiction by activating the psychological reward system via triggering a cascading release of dopamine, norepinephrine and serotonin in the brain. Still, as I say, why did you post this in this thread about this film.-Ron in Tasmania
Old 03-04-2011 at 09:07 PM   #9
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

?

RonPrice says thanks to giftedchick for this post.

Mikob11 likes this.
Old 03-04-2011 at 10:10 PM   #10
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

Ron, to briefly explain why Redorkulated (and to a certain extent myself) I'll need to explain what is wrong with this thread. The fact is, that while your original post is very informative and did contain a decent prose poem, you have failed to pose any question or point of discussion, and as such fail to grasp the basic nature of a forum.

Imagine you are on a bus and a stranger walks up to you and says "I like lamp.". You would probably have a hard time responding to this and would probably think the stranger rather crazy. However if the stranger had added "Do you also like lamp?" you would have an easy time responding, as the stranger has now provided you with a point of discussion. Do you see where I am going with this? No one would be poking fun at you if you had added a point of discussion such as "Has anyone else here watched The Omen? If so, what are your opinions?" All you have done thus far is listed a bunch of facts regarding The Omen.

edit: this was my 1000th Post. WOOHOO

Last edited by REPLEKIA/. : 03-04-2011 at 10:14 PM.
Old 03-04-2011 at 10:17 PM   #11
RonPrice

I take your point, REPLEKIA.
I take your point, REPLEKIA. Still, I said a great deal in the post I made and left plenty of opportunity for someone to respond in relation to the film, in relation to what I said about the film. I taught poetry for 30 years and I can understand your reaction, REPLEKIA. Many students would read a poem and have absolutely no idea what to say about it. They simply had a blank face-stare-mind set. Other students would get rich and, for them, meaningful reactions. To each their own in poetry, on internet threads and, I might add, in everyday life. I rest my case and thank you for your honest reaction. I wish you well in your McMaster studies. It has been nearly half a century since I was trying to make meaning out of stuff in my courses. I won some and lost some as one does all of one's life. Over and out for now!-Ron
Old 03-04-2011 at 11:24 PM   #12
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Gonna download all the movies again, a good procrastination project
Old 03-05-2011 at 11:01 AM   #13
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReDorkulateD View Post
This is out of date. Apparently now it's Charlie Sheen. *shrugs*