MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Biology 2A03 (ANIMALS PHYSIOLOGY ) with Biology 2C03 (GENETICS)?? iki_31 Academics 23 12-24-2009 11:29 PM
Major in Commerce, Minor in Biology goodnews.inc Academics 38 06-22-2009 05:04 PM

Minor in biology

Old 06-14-2012 at 06:21 PM   #1
cookeme

Liked: 1 Time

Minor in biology
so i intend to minor in biology, i know i need 18 units and the two level 1 courses. i didn't take chemistry though and a lot of the biology courses require chem. so i was wondering if the life science courses counted toward a minor in biology. if not i think I'm screwed because they removed one of the courses this year that would have given me my minor without needing chemistry -.-
Old 06-14-2012 at 06:35 PM   #2
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookeme View Post
so i intend to minor in biology, i know i need 18 units and the two level 1 courses. i didn't take chemistry though and a lot of the biology courses require chem. so i was wondering if the life science courses counted toward a minor in biology. if not i think I'm screwed because they removed one of the courses this year that would have given me my minor without needing chemistry -.-
I'm pretty sure it would only count if it was cross-listed (ex life sci 2B03 is the same as bio 2B03), although you might need to register in the bio course for it to count towards the minor (I'm not sure about that, check with an academic adviser).

If you wanted to take, for example, Life Sci 2A03 and count it, then no. The requirements are 18 units from level 2/3/4 biology or molecular biology including at least six units from levels 3/4 biology or molecular biology. This means they need to be listed under the "biology" or "molecular biology" sections of the course calendar.

Edit: Withouth chemistry, you could take
bio 2A03, 2C03, 2D03, 2F03,
3DD3 or 3SS3 (if you took 2F03),
3FF3 or 3S03 (if you took 2C03),
3MM3 or 3U03 or 3UU3 (if you took 2A03).
That's more than enough to get your minor. It just takes planning to make sure you have the prereqs for the courses you need.

Last edited by nerual : 06-14-2012 at 06:44 PM.