MacInsiders Logo

Msn DP Help Please

Old 11-01-2010 at 04:49 PM   #1
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

Msn DP Help Please
I really like the MSN default display picture and I want to save it. D: But I don't know how. Thanks in advance!

I took a screenshot of what it looked like. I figured out it was called "shooting star" by hovering my cursor over it. It's animated. The stars twinkle and one star shoots across the pic. I tried Googling for it. ]:

Old 11-01-2010 at 05:01 PM   #2
SilentWalker
∞/0? Only I know.

Liked: 202 Times

It's most likely buried in a dll file. If you use WLM...you probably won't be able to rip it. Hell, knowing MS, to even find the dll file will take a shitload of patience.
Old 11-01-2010 at 05:53 PM   #3
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Record it and convert it into a gif?
Old 11-01-2010 at 06:23 PM   #4
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

there's a script that allows you to steal other people's dps, so if you can get someone to put it on, you can take it from them, and I think it saves into the default folder you selected for your avatars. Idk if it works with animated ones, but it's worth a try? it's called display picture rotator or something.
Old 11-01-2010 at 07:16 PM   #5
Deegs14
Cogito, ergo sum

Liked: 156 Times

Not the best solution, but one regardless.
Just hit print screen with that picture on, copy and paste it to paint and then cut everything out but your dp.
Old 11-01-2010 at 07:19 PM   #6
Patrick.O

Liked: 28 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegs14 View Post
Not the best solution, but one regardless.
Just hit print screen with that picture on, copy and paste it to paint and then cut everything out but your dp.
She said it was animated though.

Recording it with some sort of screen capture software is probably your best bet.
Old 11-01-2010 at 07:24 PM   #7
SilentWalker
∞/0? Only I know.

Liked: 202 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick.O View Post
She said it was animated though.

Recording it with some sort of screen capture software is probably your best bet.
No it's not. The dp's already so small. After you record it with screen capture software, and then convert it to gif, you'll probably end up with an indistinguishable piece of . The amount of data lost in that process makes me shudder (not really).

Best bet. Take individual screenshots of every frame (not using PrtScn...MS's print screen is horrible...use LightScreen). Then properly crop is in PS or GIMP and compile an animated GIF. I'll do it for you if you want...providing you get the screens for me. Tedious? Yes. But it'll yield the best quality image.
Old 11-01-2010 at 10:47 PM   #8
Desda
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentWalker View Post
No it's not. The dp's already so small. After you record it with screen capture software, and then convert it to gif, you'll probably end up with an indistinguishable piece of . The amount of data lost in that process makes me shudder (not really).

Best bet. Take individual screenshots of every frame (not using PrtScn...MS's print screen is horrible...use LightScreen). Then properly crop is in PS or GIMP and compile an animated GIF. I'll do it for you if you want...providing you get the screens for me. Tedious? Yes. But it'll yield the best quality image.
Ah, thanks for help...I was hoping to get a website where I could just save the msn default dps... Anyway, that sounds like a lot of work. lol.
Old 11-01-2010 at 11:12 PM   #9
TheBrickWall
Elite Member

Liked: 46 Times

try googling it;
you never know it could be up on some website
Old 11-02-2010 at 12:22 AM   #10
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

Try these locations:

xp:
C:\Users\YOURNAME\App Data\Local\Microsoft\ Messenger\YOURLIVEID\ ObjectStore\UserTile

C:\Users\YOURNAME\App Data\Local\Temp\Messe ngerCache

C:\Documents and Settings\name\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Messen ger\[email protected]\ ObjectStore

C:\Users\%userid%\App Data\Local\Microsoft\ Messenger\[Live Login]\ObjectStore\UserTile
Old 11-02-2010 at 01:00 AM   #11
Juve
Elite Member

Liked: 117 Times

Print screen >> open paint>> paste >> crop >> save ...
Old 11-02-2010 at 01:05 AM   #12
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

Go here:

C:\Users\YOURNAME\App Data\Local\Microsoft\ Messenger\YOURLIVEID\ ObjectStore\UserTile

In that folder there will be a bunch of files that end in either .dat or .Id2. Just rename them to .jpg or .GIF and your done.

Desda says thanks to xxsumz for this post.
Old 11-02-2010 at 01:11 AM   #13
Desda
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxsumz View Post
Go here:

In that folder there will be a bunch of files that end in either .dat or .Id2. Just rename them to .jpg or .GIF and your done.
How do i rename them to .jpg or .gif...
Old 11-02-2010 at 01:15 AM   #14
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desda View Post
How do i rename them to .jpg or .gif...
Right click it, select rename, at the end remove the .dat or .Id2 part and put .jpg

Desda says thanks to xxsumz for this post.
Old 11-02-2010 at 01:32 AM   #15
Desda
Elite Member

Thanks everyone! XD; And thanks Sumit. [: Lol. I should just ask you from now on instead of making a topic. D: