MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
MSU General Assembly This Thursday temara.brown MacInsiders Announcements 3 03-19-2009 10:06 AM
MSU General Assembly lorend MacInsiders Announcements 26 03-17-2009 10:01 AM
MSU General Assembly Planning Committee temara.brown MacInsiders Announcements 11 02-09-2009 12:34 PM
MSU General Assembly - January 29, 2009 temara.brown MacInsiders Announcements 63 01-25-2009 03:10 PM
SRA General Assembly Chad MacInsiders Announcements 2 04-06-2008 10:03 PM

MSU General Assembly 2010

Old 03-17-2010 at 09:37 PM   #30
Naheed
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 11 Times
Yes, 309 people were all there at once. I can confirm this was the highest number of people we had in the room at one time, as counted by the University Affairs Committee and the Deputy Returning Officer. If you came out, I hope you were engaged by the process and the event. I'd appreciate feedback at [email protected] ca.

Regarding question #1, you're right. In that scenario, the motions that passed when quorum was achieved would be binding on the union. After quorum was lost, nothing would be official.

I'll let Matthew (or a SRA rep) take #2!

Last edited by Naheed : 03-17-2010 at 09:39 PM.

dustman says thanks to Naheed for this post.

Old 03-18-2010 at 12:33 AM   #31
cocchiarella

Liked: 24 Times
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GO KIN. we get to keep our seats... for now.

Nosh says thanks to cocchiarella for this post.

arathbon, Nosh like this.

Old 03-18-2010 at 07:53 AM   #32
Boccaccio

Liked: 8 Times
Well there are some options that the SRA can take

1. They can bring up the motion directly at an SRA meeting, debate it and vote on it

2. Bring the idea up and recommend it to committee

3. Bring people to an SRA meeting to talk about the issue and then move from there

However, for some issues, such as the constitution amendment, it must go to referendum

Naheed says thanks to Boccaccio for this post.

Old 03-18-2010 at 10:17 AM   #33
emtee10
Mac Lifer

Liked: 49 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman View Post
2) Would you mind elaborating what becomes of the approved proposals to be sent to the SRA? What are the different approaches the SRA can take to each proposal?
Sure thing.

MOVED by Matt Wright, seconded by _______ that candidates for MSU student elections be allowed to campaign and have campaign materials visible in MSU space.

This is the sort of thing which could easily be referred to the Bylaws & Procedures Committee for discussion. One of the points brought up at GA which I thought was important was that the current motion is too broad - it might be good to allow people to campaign in Union Market, for example, but not in MSU offices. B&P could refine the motion, do consultations with Elections personnel, and then bring a proposal back to the SRA.

MOVED by Matthew Tenenbaum, seconded by _______ that the MSU membership approve the amendments to the MSU Constitution, as circulated and presented.

This was already approved by the SRA (in December) but it needs student assent at either a General Assembly meeting or referendum in order to come into effect. The SRA has already called a referendum on it for next year.

MOVED by Victor Kuntzevitsky, seconded by Aaron Wade that the MSU recognize a Greek Life Council.

This could be debated at the SRA, but I think that before this can happen there needs to be a much clearer proposal brought forward. We would need to discuss what the composition of this Council is, what its powers are, and how it would fit in amongst our other clubs, services, and committees.

MOVED by Daniel Boccaccio, seconded by _______ that the fee for the dental plan increase by $8.38, and the total coverage of the plan reduce to $650.

The SRA will need to call a referendum on this issue, probably to be held next year.

MOVED by Meaghan Langille, seconded by _______ that the MSU be directed to collect a 35-cent-per-student ancillary fee for the McMaster chapter of Engineers Without Borders Canada.

We could call another referendum on this; however, we just held one and it failed to meet quorum. If we were to hold another referendum, it could be initiated either by the SRA or by students-at-large (through a petition).

dustman, Naheed all say thanks to emtee10 for this post.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search