MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why The Playbook is Actually a Win mike_302 Computers & Tech 40 09-12-2012 12:40 PM
RIM Playbook Video (IN ACTION) Chad MacInsiders Announcements 5 10-26-2010 01:37 AM

My Theory on the BB Playbook

Old 10-16-2012 at 02:18 PM   #1
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

My Theory on the BB Playbook
The playbook can currently be bought for anywhere between 99$ to 199$, which is cheap for a tablet.
The Playbook is said to be BB10 Compatible.
The new Playbook with cellular connectivity is around 400-500$.

If RIM is to release a new Playbook along with the BB10 phones, the price will easy be 300+ for the base model.

If BB10 goes well, the Current BB Playbook resale value will increase dramatically after it is discontinued. We saw the same thing with the HP touch pads, which initially started selling as much as double the fire sale price. (that didnt last to long but still a good point). The difference here is there will continue to be support for the Playbook even after this sale.

So in theory if you were to buy a 99$ playbook, a new one is released at price points 300+ and the current one discontinued, you will be able to resell it for 200$ or more.

This is just a crazy theory I thought off while I was bored. Please dont take it seriously, just looking for what you guys think
Old 10-16-2012 at 03:11 PM   #2
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

It is a good price, which is why I was looking at getting one, but what you said I wouldn't be too optimistic about. Seeing as I have yet to talk to someone who has their hopes up for BB10, I don't think it will do amazingly well.

On the other hand if the company goes under, you may lose all tech support from RIM for the thing as well...
Old 10-16-2012 at 07:32 PM   #3
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Do you just not talk to many people? I don't understand it.

First off, any time there's a MI argument about BB10, there are always several supporters and several haters.

Additionally, considering there are still thousands of people employed at the company, there are obviously people with their hopes up about it.
Old 10-16-2012 at 07:39 PM   #4
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

On a side note, the playbook is actually quite a handy little machine, and is totally worth the price. If RIM had a better app market, it would be doing amazing.
Old 10-16-2012 at 10:53 PM   #5
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
It is a good price, which is why I was looking at getting one, but what you said I wouldn't be too optimistic about. Seeing as I have yet to talk to someone who has their hopes up for BB10, I don't think it will do amazingly well.

On the other hand if the company goes under, you may lose all tech support from RIM for the thing as well...
As a person who deals with BB10 on a daily basis, count me as a supporter. If nothing else, it'll still win over Windows Phone 8 (which doesn't support OpenGL, which is what all mobile games are made on, right now)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_302 View Post
Do you just not talk to many people? I don't understand it.

First off, any time there's a MI argument about BB10, there are always several supporters and several haters.

Additionally, considering there are still thousands of people employed at the company, there are obviously people with their hopes up about it.
Correct. RIM hasn't laid off many in the core development teams. Anyone who is needed for BB10 production is still working.
Old 10-16-2012 at 11:19 PM   #6
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

i bought a playbook.. i enjoy it...
lack of apps isnt really an issue since sideloading is pretty easy
Old 10-17-2012 at 02:19 AM   #7
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crzyrio View Post
If BB10 goes well, the Current BB Playbook resale value will increase dramatically after it is discontinued. We saw the same thing with the HP touch pads, which initially started selling as much as double the fire sale price. (that didnt last to long but still a good point).
That was actually because the majority of the stock was bought by asshole hoarders who knew that even at twice the price point that Best Buy among other stores was selling them, they could resell since ~$200 was a pretty good price for a tablet at the time. $99 was a ridiculously low price to burn off the remaining stock at.

There was no software update that made the device better than it already was. If you're referring to Cyanogenmod for that tablet, I believe it's still in alpha - over a year later.
Old 10-17-2012 at 02:49 AM   #8
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
That was actually because the majority of the stock was bought by asshole hoarders who knew that even at twice the price point that Best Buy among other stores was selling them, they could resell since ~$200 was a pretty good price for a tablet at the time. $99 was a ridiculously low price to burn off the remaining stock at.

There was no software update that made the device better than it already was. If you're referring to Cyanogenmod for that tablet, I believe it's still in alpha - over a year later.
I was in Pakistan for 2 weeks and it just so happened that one of those weeks was the fire sale
Old 10-17-2012 at 02:51 AM   #9
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
I was in Pakistan for 2 weeks and it just so happened that one of those weeks was the fire sale
My internet stopped working for a few days just a day before they sent out notification, lol.