Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ECON 2J03- Khan macxlife Academics 0 01-20-2014 04:48 PM
Econ 2D03 with Khan Chris23 Academics 6 06-07-2012 12:58 PM

Need help with Econ courses (Dr Khan)

Old 01-18-2016 at 05:34 PM   #1
escape

Liked: 38 Times

Need help with Econ courses (Dr Khan)
I’m taking ECON 2G03 & ECON 2J03 with Dr Khan this term. I have been attending his classes regularly but I don’t seem to understand the content and his way of teaching. As of now, I have courseware for both of these courses and was looking into buying textbook as well (since I don’t understand much during lectures).

I’m looking for tips/hints from people who have taken these courses with Dr Khan before and any other external resources which might help.

Note: I don’t have economics background so it’s hard for me to grasp basic concepts

Old 01-18-2016 at 10:36 PM   #2
Wolf

Liked: 0 Times

Hey,

I have taken Econ 2J03 with Dr. Khan and I can relate to the way that you are feeling. In the beginning, I went to lectures and found that his teaching style was not for me. Additionally, I found that it was hard at times to understand him, so I stopped attending lectures regularly. I realized that going through the courseware, teaching myself the material (which was not that difficult and very manageable, at least for Econ 2J03) and completing all the past quizzes/tests prior to the actual quizzes/tests, was sufficient in doing extremely well in the course. Also, I did not use the textbook and I do not recommend you buying it, as the content from the quizzes/tests and exam are found straight from the courseware.

The only economics courses I have taken are Econ 1B03 and 1BB3. If you remember some concepts from 1B03, that can help you out. However, if not (myself included) that's okay. I do not think you are at a major disadvantage as the material consisted primarily of simple math, e.g. calculating the area of a triangle etc. and understanding how to draw and interpret graphs.

Best of luck, and if you have any further questions, don't hesitate to let me know.

Last edited by Wolf : 01-18-2016 at 10:50 PM.
Old 01-19-2016 at 11:35 AM   #3
jon.john23
Elite Member

Liked: 130 Times

i have taken 2H with him in the summer

I totally agree! I never understood what he said. I borrowed the textbook from the library for the semester, and used it to study the material. I only used the course ware to go over things quick, and practice.
Old 01-19-2016 at 12:10 PM   #4
bradyr

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape View Post
I’m taking ECON 2G03 & ECON 2J03 with Dr Khan this term. I have been attending his classes regularly but I don’t seem to understand the content and his way of teaching. As of now, I have courseware for both of these courses and was looking into buying textbook as well (since I don’t understand much during lectures).

I’m looking for tips/hints from people who have taken these courses with Dr Khan before and any other external resources which might help.

Note: I don’t have economics background so it’s hard for me to grasp basic concepts

Don't worry if you seem lost in his classes, I'm pretty sure everyone is. To be honest, I didn't find going to class helpful at all. His courseware has everything you need to know, just read his notes, understand everything, and then do practice tests/quizzes/mini-quizzes until you know it to a tee and are doing well in them. He re-uses questions for his tests with different numbers (sometimes exact numbers).

Getting the textbook may actually help as well, because his courseware tends to have errors in them or doesn't explain something fully like the textbook. But I wouldn't recommend going to class, it's much easier following the courseware. You will have to teach yourself the content, but it shouldn't take long, because the chapters tend to be short and concise in the courseware.

The exam is more calculation based and you have to be quick, I can send you my Econ 2G03 notes from Hannah Holmes as well (different prof, but same content in a more logical way), and you can use them if you'd like.

Feel free to ask me any other questions you might have!

escape says thanks to bradyr for this post.
Old 01-21-2016 at 01:02 PM   #5
escape

Liked: 38 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradyr View Post
Don't worry if you seem lost in his classes, I'm pretty sure everyone is. To be honest, I didn't find going to class helpful at all. His courseware has everything you need to know, just read his notes, understand everything, and then do practice tests/quizzes/mini-quizzes until you know it to a tee and are doing well in them. He re-uses questions for his tests with different numbers (sometimes exact numbers).

Getting the textbook may actually help as well, because his courseware tends to have errors in them or doesn't explain something fully like the textbook. But I wouldn't recommend going to class, it's much easier following the courseware. You will have to teach yourself the content, but it shouldn't take long, because the chapters tend to be short and concise in the courseware.

The exam is more calculation based and you have to be quick, I can send you my Econ 2G03 notes from Hannah Holmes as well (different prof, but same content in a more logical way), and you can use them if you'd like.

Feel free to ask me any other questions you might have!
Thank you so much. I thought going to lectures would help but honestly, it's all very confusing.
Please check your Inbox.
Old 03-08-2016 at 03:33 PM   #6
alexswlee

Liked: 0 Times

Hi, I tutored on 2J03 by Khan. Attending his class doesn't help much. Good thing is that his exam questions are very similar in style. Let me know should you need more help at [email protected]