MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Low gpa first semester need help othmaa123 Academics 1 12-24-2014 11:59 AM
At a low point academically...help please! ana1205 Academics 8 06-24-2014 03:26 PM
Reinstatement with a low CA HelloThere__ Academics 2 07-27-2011 04:11 PM
Low GPA... ishk33 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 01-12-2009 12:32 AM
low CA nisha Academics 3 06-18-2008 04:26 PM

Need just low 80s to get into most programs?

Old 04-11-2016 at 10:18 PM   #1
41m33st6

Liked: 0 Times

Need just low 80s to get into most programs?
Apologies if this is a repeat question, but I noticed that the anticipated admissions averages for most Mac programs (even at UW and UWO) is in the low 80s, specifically 82-85 for Mac. Does that mean most people who apply have that average and get in no trouble? Because a number of programs only accept like 100 people, so im wondering if you have to be beyond that to be competitive and actually get in. Can someone clarify what a "safe" average to aim for would be? Is low 80 sufficient, or should you aim as high as possible to ensure getting in? Obv I will try my best next year, but I wanna know what the bare minimum is.
Old 04-11-2016 at 10:28 PM   #2
justicebeaver

Liked: 9 Times

What program are you apply to?
It can easily range from 80s to 90s.

And I don't know about you, but Eng at Waterloo is well above 90 to get into for example, perhaps even as high as 95 for specific programs. (excluding geological eng which a guy from my class got into with a stupidly low average, low 80s)

And it really depends on the number of people apply any given year.

The only safe average is aiming to finish with as high an average as possible. Don't be an idiot, don't slack at the end. If you think you'll ease in with the anticipated avg you're in for a bad time.

41m33st6 says thanks to justicebeaver for this post.
Old 04-11-2016 at 10:40 PM   #3
41m33st6

I'm not even 100% sure what program I'm interested in. As of now I'm kind of interested in something toxicology related which I might do my masters on so maybe my undergrad could be chem&physical sci/life sci/environment?? I figure Hon Health Sci and Kinesiology wouldnt related much to tox, would you agree? Perhaps even integrated sci...
I will likely apply to UW and UWO as well. I'm asking because I'm reconsidering my course selections for next year which are all AP. I'm especially wondering about my choice for AP functions and calc. I don't want to risk it, you know? The same teacher who teaches AP functions teacher AP calc, and he's got a reputation for slow marking. So your November report card is based on two tests, and if you dont happen to do well on those your math grade isnt going to look very pretty. Even if that were to happen though, Mac would just wait around to see your May marks, right? OTOH, I heard waterloo rejects people whose November marks dont meet the cutoff...
Old 04-11-2016 at 10:56 PM   #4
justicebeaver

You're not in gr 12 yet? I based my answer on that assumption.

I got into mac like a month before the deadline to accept an offer (second half of second semester). So it doesn't really matter what your marks are in nov.. at least for mac. Anyway, they will accept you based on what your marks after after end of first semester, perhaps including any second semester marks that are available. But really the final acceptance isn't til end of grade 12. They'll give you an offer to accept before a deadline (like may or jun) but that remains conditional until the end of grade 12.

And you're asking the wrong person about that kind of stuff, my knowledge of life/heath sci is limited to gr 10 science.
Old 04-11-2016 at 11:01 PM   #5
41m33st6

Haha yes I'm in gr. 11. Thank you for the info nonetheless, I've got limited time to finalize my selections so i'll be lurking around here tonight Cheers
Old 04-11-2016 at 11:01 PM   #6
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Liked: 91 Times

Lot's of reasons to consider:

- High schools inflate averages.
- Economic crisis in the country.
- Job market is shit.
- Most people in the country live in dept they will never get rid of.
- Number of students growing applying to more science based programs grows, as more people realize that going into something like Language Arts won't be putting bread on the table.
- Number of international students grows exponentially.
- Universities try to ensure their students can handle the workload, so they don't lose their license (they are aware of inflated HS grades)
- Universities don't quiet grow as fast to cover the demand
- At the end the universities increase the admission requirements.

41m33st6 likes this.
Old 04-11-2016 at 11:03 PM   #7
justicebeaver

Do AP if you can handle it. Its essentially first year university stuff. (referring to Adv. func and calc)

41m33st6 likes this.
Old 04-11-2016 at 11:31 PM   #8
Imperious

Liked: 27 Times

Take the AP Calculus course if you can handle it. I don't know about the other universities in terms of what they exchange the credit for but for McMaster, taking the AP Calculus exam is useless because they give you a Math 1F03 credit which is a university credit for high school level work, thus is not considered a "university-level math course" even though AP Calculus teaches university level content. All science programs require you to take an actual university level math course. Also, your February marks are what really count.

AP Calculus definitely prepares you well for university level calculus. AP Calculus BC covers the entire Math 1A/1ZA and about 90% of Math 1AA/1ZB which are the chemical/physical science/engineering maths. First year math becomes a pretty bird course if you do an AP Calc (BC) course. The AP Calc AB course is still useful though, depending on what your school offers.

If you're considering studying something related to Toxicology, the programs here related to that include any of the Biology streams, Health Science and Biology+Pharmacology.

41m33st6 says thanks to Imperious for this post.