MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Any government Grants? free money for school? Danielle.g First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 08-16-2010 04:05 PM
I didn't get my grants... goldfish101 General Discussion 3 09-15-2009 08:25 PM
OSAP: Government ID n.nguyen First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 08-28-2009 07:06 PM
indicating grants on mugsi precious General Discussion 5 08-27-2009 08:31 PM
Government 'Crisis' temara.brown Politics 9 12-06-2008 09:13 AM

New Government Grants Discontinued

The MSU has released a statement regarding the discontinuation of two government grants, the Textbook and Technology Grant and the Distance Grant.

Many students are concerned that, with the rising costs of a post-secondary education and a failing economy, a university education may not be possible for those in the lower income brackets.

What are your thoughts?
Published by
MacInsiders Staff

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 05-07-2009 at 10:54 AM   #2
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times
Well this sucks. Though it took a long time to get the grant I know a lot of people appreciated the Textbook and Technology Grant. It was supposed to be rising to $300 but I guess that isn't happening since they discontinued it. This is very unfortunate considering how expensive textbooks are for students. Every little bit counts and that $150 from the government was at least something I could use towards paying down debt.

University is expensive for my parents and I in our situation, I can't even begin to imagine how people in lower income brackets could even begin to think about such a costly endeavor. The government cutting funding and help for post-secondary education and students is a really bad decision imo.

This is really disappointing news to wake up to.

Old 05-07-2009 at 11:44 AM   #3
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times
Sigh. Next it will be bursaries, then more grants and then even more bursaries.

I'll just get really acquainted with debt now so that I'm not horribly depressed when I finish school.

I can imagine tuition is going up this year, and will continue to go up, and the amount of bursaries and grants available will go down. It doesn't fare well.

Old 05-07-2009 at 01:46 PM   #4
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times
The grant only lasted a year though? I'm disappointed but I think I'll survive.

Old 05-07-2009 at 01:47 PM   #5
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times
I found that most people actually received less money from bursaries this year actually now that was tough. I can't afford tuition, books, etc that's why I work during the school year.

Old 05-07-2009 at 11:00 PM   #6
Nosferatu

Liked: 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokosas View Post

The MSU has released a statement regarding the discontinuation of two government grants, the Textbook and Technology Grant and the Distance Grant.

Many students are concerned that, with the rising costs of a post-secondary education and a failing economy, a university education may not be possible for those in the lower income brackets.

What are your thoughts?
If I read the statement correctly, it is not really "discontinued" (I hope).
It says "Moreover, under the latest design, only those students who qualify for OSAP will be eligible to receive the now weaker grants. "

Old 05-07-2009 at 11:03 PM   #7
Nosferatu

Liked: 0 Times
Yup, I googled it. According to the Sun ( http://www.torontosun.com/news/canad...21851-sun.html )

Two grants that were just introduced for the last school year, the textbook and technology grant and the distance learning grant, will now be available only to students eligible for the Ontario Students Assistance Plan.
Textbook and technology grants were worth $150 a year and the distance grants were worth up to $500, depending on the distance the student had to travel.
Milloy said the grants will be frozen as well, instead of increasing as planned. He said the impact will be minimal as most of the students who received the grants last year were OSAP eligible anyway. Only 6% of those who got distance grants and 30% of the textbook grants recipients stand to lose them.
That's because the government did a poor job of publicizing the grants and made it hard to apply for them, charged Shelley Melanson, Ontario chairman for the Canadian Federation of Students.

Old 05-08-2009 at 06:46 PM   #8
fullsmash26
Reporter, Macleans

Liked: 15 Times
My take

Textbook and travel grants: the good, the bad and the failed

By Joey Coleman | May 4th, 2009 | 5:00 pm

Filed Under: BlogsColeman on CampusTop Stories
Tags: collegefinancial aidpoliticsStudent Aidtextbook and travel granttextbook granttextbookstravel granttuitionUniversitiesuniversity

Recent flip-flop by McGuinty government improves policy but could hurt party’s political image

Last Friday (as governments always release bad news on a Friday), the Ontario government announced the cancellation of planned improvements to student financial aid and said they would be scaling back the aid that is currently available. According to the province, the cuts are expected to save $103 million.

It is no secret that I thought the Textbook and Technology Grant was poor public policy and a political gimmick.

It was an election promise designed to maximize positive publicity for the government. The premise was simple: every full-time public post-secondary student attending an Ontario institution would receive a cheque from the government.

It sounded simple enough, so how hard could it be to implement? Get a list of students from each college and university, print a bunch of cheques, send them to Canada Post, and, voila!, every student in the province would get a cheque telling them how much Dalton McGuinty loves them.

Implementation wasn’t that easy, and the system seemed as if it had been designed to frustrate potential applicants.

The government decided there would be a web-based application that every student would use to get the grant. The government, perhaps as an indication of how little money they had to fulfill their election promises, did not engage in much promotion of the program. This resulted in many students not applying for the grant.

To add insult to injury, the government paid colleges and universities in order to provide student lists.

That said, it seems as if the government didn’t mind. After all, it didn’t matter that the grant was poor public policy; it was good politics. Premier Dalton McGuinty could go around the province saying he had “put into place brand new textbook and technology and distance grants…the first of its kind in the country.”

These cutbacks have made the grant a political weak spot for the government. The grants can now be called a broken election promise, which is a criticism to which McGuinty is vulnerable.

However, Friday’s announcement does improve the public policy aspect of these grants.

No longer will these grants go to individuals without any assessed financial need (which, in the overwhelming of incidences, correlates with a lack of financial need). This means money is no longer being directed to “student support,” which does nothing to actually support engagement in post-secondary education. For a student without financial need, the decision to continue in a post-secondary program will not be based on the cost of that education.

There is no longer a need for a costly administration process, as every student receiving OSAP will now automatically get the grant.

While not the best public policy, the new structure of the grant is definitely an improvement. True, there are more effective ways of delivering aid and the grant could be more targeted, but overall, the structure of the grant is better.
The fact the government is freezing the amount of the grant is disappointing.

The government could have shown leadership and a true commitment to helping students in need, especially during this time of recession, by diverting funds to those with higher need instead of just cutting benefits to those students with low or no need.

Ian Finlay says thanks to fullsmash26 for this post.

Old 05-09-2009 at 12:18 AM   #9
Ian Finlay

Liked: 28 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullsmash26 View Post

Textbook and travel grants: the good, the bad and the failed

By Joey Coleman | May 4th, 2009 | 5:00 pm

Filed Under: BlogsColeman on CampusTop Stories
Tags: collegefinancial aidpoliticsStudent Aidtextbook and travel granttextbook granttextbookstravel granttuitionUniversitiesuniversity

Recent flip-flop by McGuinty government improves policy but could hurt party’s political image

Last Friday (as governments always release bad news on a Friday), the Ontario government announced the cancellation of planned improvements to student financial aid and said they would be scaling back the aid that is currently available. According to the province, the cuts are expected to save $103 million.

It is no secret that I thought the Textbook and Technology Grant was poor public policy and a political gimmick.

It was an election promise designed to maximize positive publicity for the government. The premise was simple: every full-time public post-secondary student attending an Ontario institution would receive a cheque from the government.

It sounded simple enough, so how hard could it be to implement? Get a list of students from each college and university, print a bunch of cheques, send them to Canada Post, and, voila!, every student in the province would get a cheque telling them how much Dalton McGuinty loves them.

Implementation wasn’t that easy, and the system seemed as if it had been designed to frustrate potential applicants.

The government decided there would be a web-based application that every student would use to get the grant. The government, perhaps as an indication of how little money they had to fulfill their election promises, did not engage in much promotion of the program. This resulted in many students not applying for the grant.

To add insult to injury, the government paid colleges and universities in order to provide student lists.

That said, it seems as if the government didn’t mind. After all, it didn’t matter that the grant was poor public policy; it was good politics. Premier Dalton McGuinty could go around the province saying he had “put into place brand new textbook and technology and distance grants…the first of its kind in the country.”

These cutbacks have made the grant a political weak spot for the government. The grants can now be called a broken election promise, which is a criticism to which McGuinty is vulnerable.

However, Friday’s announcement does improve the public policy aspect of these grants.

No longer will these grants go to individuals without any assessed financial need (which, in the overwhelming of incidences, correlates with a lack of financial need). This means money is no longer being directed to “student support,” which does nothing to actually support engagement in post-secondary education. For a student without financial need, the decision to continue in a post-secondary program will not be based on the cost of that education.

There is no longer a need for a costly administration process, as every student receiving OSAP will now automatically get the grant.

While not the best public policy, the new structure of the grant is definitely an improvement. True, there are more effective ways of delivering aid and the grant could be more targeted, but overall, the structure of the grant is better.
The fact the government is freezing the amount of the grant is disappointing.

The government could have shown leadership and a true commitment to helping students in need, especially during this time of recession, by diverting funds to those with higher need instead of just cutting benefits to those students with low or no need.

Liberals Flip flopping? breaking election promises? using money inefficiently? Please tell me it aint true Joey!

It is sad that such a publicity ploy duped so many people. And that people are still "shocked" to find out they are quick to retract what seemed to be the only fair system of student support. This Costly setup of structure to be able to handle this programme cost tax payers LOADS of money which could have gone to students in need. Instead of spreading a costly start up over a few years averaging it out, they shut it down right away.

As Joey said this was poor public policy. So lets hope next time any party wants shoot out a crazy vote grabbing idea, they back it up with some plan! and if there is no plan, let us the voters not be duped again!

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search