MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
phone ymich First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 08-28-2011 12:46 AM
I Phone 5G mfattal General Discussion 14 07-21-2011 09:11 PM
I Need a Phone! RyanC General Discussion 116 02-20-2011 01:39 AM
Internet, Home phone, tv and cell phone bill **jewel 03** General Discussion 15 10-15-2009 07:29 PM

New phone?

Old 09-23-2012 at 12:52 AM   #1
Lana02

Liked: 5 Times

New phone?
Hey everyone,

So i currently have a iphone 3g.. and I have been wanting to upgrade for a while now. But I don't know if I should stick with iphones? or go with something else (besides blackberry). Like an samsung galaxy or htc.. Mind you I don't know a lot about smartphones lol.

What I would like is a touch screen (with possibly a slide out keyboard as well). I also use my current iphone as my mp3 player so i would like something that can hold alot of music and is easy to transfer songs to, etc. A good selection of apps and games would be nice. I also like how the new iphones have the camera in the front and back, so if possible i would like to have something like that. And I also would like something that is fairly easy to use.

Thats basically what I am looking for in a phone.. So i dont know if an iphone is the best route or if there are some new android phones that fit what I am looking for?

If anyone has suggestions I would be very grateful! thanks
Old 09-23-2012 at 01:50 AM   #2
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

all you're most likely gonna do is text, call, listen to music. i would just get a cheap android for this. no need to buy an expensive phone that will get u locked into a $60+ bill for 2-3 years. i made this mistake and i dont use my phone to its full capacities. i hate paying that damn bill lol.

Lana02 says thanks to Silver for this post.

Lana02 likes this.
Old 09-23-2012 at 02:05 AM   #3
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

The first question to ask is: Are you using data on your smartphone?

Lana02 says thanks to Leeoku for this post.

Lana02 likes this.
Old 09-23-2012 at 04:15 AM   #4
Alomar12

Liked: 42 Times

If the answer to the data question is yes, Samsung Galaxy SII LTE HD is on sale at Rogers. Rogers has great reception all over campus, including in buildings because there is a tower on TSH.

If the answer is "no" -- go backwards in technology. I have a Samsung c414R and I love it. Some minor issues with text messages showing the proper time of arrival (i.e. they get out of order sometimes) but that is it. You can get 150 minutes, unlimited talk, text and Canada MY 10 (10 numbers which won't count against your minutes or have you charged long distance -- great if your parents aren't local to you) for $37. You can reduce the cost to $27 by cutting 50 minutes. You also get early evenings (after 6pm) and unlimited evening/weekend minutes. They threw in call manager (call blocking by number, digit sequence, time of call...), WhoCalled (tells you who called while your phone is off), call forwarding and call transfer. I believe you get mini voicemail as well (3 messages can be stored at a time), but I am unsure, since I got an additional value pack for $12.79 with Full Voicemail, Visual Voicemail (Voicemails are transcribed into text messages), Number & Name Call Display and 100 outgoing US & International Texts.

Lana02 says thanks to Alomar12 for this post.

Lana02 likes this.
Old 09-23-2012 at 08:07 AM   #5
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

In terms of holding a bunch of music, just get a 32/64gb microsd card

Lana02 says thanks to RyanC for this post.

Lana02 likes this.
Old 09-23-2012 at 11:46 AM   #6
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

If you don't do an extensive amount of things on it, definitely go for a cheap Android and if you don't use data and don't plan on upgrading for 2+ years, go without a contract. The other option is you can try a Windows Phone but I don't any experience with that.

As for plans, here is the best time to switch providers! If you aren't going with contract, nearly everyone has a better plan than Bell or Rogers. Such as:
- Wind : Really cheap, comprehensive plans but limited in range
- Koodo: All minutes are long distance and is a discount carrier, so $25 a month gives you lots of minutes and text
- Pay as you Go is what I use, I pay $10 a month and bought a no-contract phone for $60, defintley best option if you don't use much

Lana02 says thanks to Snowman for this post.

Lana02 likes this.
Old 09-23-2012 at 12:23 PM   #7
schmane

Liked: 3 Times

I think she wants a smartphone, guys.

In terms of touch screen + keyboard, I can only think of BlackBerry. I have the Samsung Galaxy Nexus myself, and I've used my brother(s)' iPhones (4 and 4s). I also tried my friend's BlackBerry Bold 9900 the other day, and I will admit it wasn't too bad. A big upgrade from the older Bold. Still usable.

So in my own opinion, if the keyboard thing is a necessity, I would wait until Q1 2013. RIM is dropping the new line of BlackBerries featuring BB10. They've announced some all-touch and some touch+keyboard. I might actually buy one outright because I have a lot of faith in it.

But if you can't wait, try one of the latest Samsung superphones (Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy SIII) or just get an iPhone 4S. The difference between the 4S and the 5 isn't worth the gap in price. I would search Kijiji for ppl ditching their 4S.

We're in a day and age of smart/superphones. You don't want to fall back from the iPhone 3G to some slow phone. Move up!

Message if you want to know more. I talk too much~~

Lana02 says thanks to schmane for this post.

Afzal, Lana02 like this.
Old 09-23-2012 at 01:05 PM   #8
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

^ agreed. going with a cheap android phone will feel like a massive downgrade. Go with the 4s of a decent android phone. I have the galasxy s2 international version with a custom jellybean rom and it destroys most newer phones, even though its a year and a half old.

-Android phones are BIG. If you have small hands I would go iPhone. If you have normal/larger hands then Id go with the Galaxy Nexus, S3, or if you want super cheap: a variant of the s2. If you go for the s2 I would get the international version (one with the home button) because Its super easy to upgrade the operating system unlike the less popular american/canadian lte variants. Were I you I would Definitely get the galaxy nexus or the S3 though, depending on your price range.

-Android phones have the best keyboard by a long shot. NOT the stock keyboard..its an app called Swiftkey.

Lana02 says thanks to qwerty91 for this post.

Lana02 likes this.
Old 09-23-2012 at 01:13 PM   #9
Lana02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alomar12 View Post
If the answer to the data question is yes, Samsung Galaxy SII LTE HD is on sale at Rogers. Rogers has great reception all over campus, including in buildings because there is a tower on TSH.

If the answer is "no" -- go backwards in technology. I have a Samsung c414R and I love it. Some minor issues with text messages showing the proper time of arrival (i.e. they get out of order sometimes) but that is it. You can get 150 minutes, unlimited talk, text and Canada MY 10 (10 numbers which won't count against your minutes or have you charged long distance -- great if your parents aren't local to you) for $37. You can reduce the cost to $27 by cutting 50 minutes. You also get early evenings (after 6pm) and unlimited evening/weekend minutes. They threw in call manager (call blocking by number, digit sequence, time of call...), WhoCalled (tells you who called while your phone is off), call forwarding and call transfer. I believe you get mini voicemail as well (3 messages can be stored at a time), but I am unsure, since I got an additional value pack for $12.79 with Full Voicemail, Visual Voicemail (Voicemails are transcribed into text messages), Number & Name Call Display and 100 outgoing US & International Texts.
I am going to look into the Samsung Galaxy SII LTE HD bc i am with rogers now so the switch will hopefully be easy Thanks
Old 09-23-2012 at 01:20 PM   #10
Lana02

Thanks for the great advice guys! I do use quite a bit of data, but I tend to use the most at home and then i just connect to the wifi. But I would like a phone with a decent amount of data. I am with rogers right now so I think it would be best to stay with them as opposed to switching to a different company. But my 3- yr term is supposed to be up in october but i checked my eligibility for the iphone 5 today (out of curiousity) and they said i would have to pay a $185 early upgrade fee and some other costs. which doesnt make sense if my term is supposed to be up in october.. ugh lol gives me a headache! but thanks for the advice I think it be time to switch from an iphone to an newer android
Old 09-23-2012 at 01:29 PM   #11
AngryBean
Account Locked

Liked: 129 Times

I don't think it makes sense staying with a provider that is being sued for ripping off their clients.

Afzal likes this.
Old 09-23-2012 at 01:32 PM   #12
Lana02

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryBean View Post
I don't think it makes sense staying with a provider that is being sued for ripping off their clients.
Oh really. well i dont really want to stay with them but it might be easier and cost me less money then switching... but i dont know. I will have to check it out. I still need to call them and figure out what is going on with my plan which is supposed to be up in october.
Old 09-23-2012 at 02:29 PM   #13
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lana02 View Post
Oh really. well i dont really want to stay with them but it might be easier and cost me less money then switching... but i dont know. I will have to check it out. I still need to call them and figure out what is going on with my plan which is supposed to be up in october.
It is super easy to switch phone carriers, and since there is so much competition now is the time to do it!

The other thing I have heard is once your contract is up, they may offer a really good plan to keep you especially if you push for more. Undershoot what your willing to pay and get a bunch of features added in at that price and see what they say
Old 09-23-2012 at 02:52 PM   #14
jon.john23
Elite Member

Liked: 130 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lana02 View Post
So i currently have a iphone 3g..

IM NOT ALONE!!!

Android is THE way to go! iPhone and iOS havent seen any major leaps since the original iPhone.

There are alot of phones that fit ur bill of requirements:
HTC One S or One X, Samsung Galaxy S3, or even google nexus (runs the latest version of android... since ur gonna be spending about 600 to 700 on a new iPhone, might as well go with these

HTC ONE X
s3

http://www.googlhttp://timenerdworld.files.w ordpre... &h=400&crop=1nexus/#/galaxy

Andrew A likes this.
Old 09-23-2012 at 03:38 PM   #15
AngryBean
Account Locked

Liked: 129 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon.john23 View Post
IM NOT ALONE!!!

Android is THE way to go! iPhone and iOS havent seen any major leaps since the original iPhone.

There are alot of phones that fit ur bill of requirements:
HTC One S or One X, Samsung Galaxy S3, or even google nexus (runs the latest version of android... since ur gonna be spending about 600 to 700 on a new iPhone, might as well go with these
Well, the Samsung Galaxy S3 while being great compared to iPhone, its kinda too expensive, and if you only use the phone for its intended purposes + music, you will basically pay extra 150-200 bucks for functions you will rarely use. I mean they are great to shove into Apples face, but kinda makes no sense in functionality per bucks ratio terms.

HTC One X is the same story, only its main shtick is the camera, so you will pay extra 200-250 bucks just for the camera (if that's the reason you want it). By the way I don't think its the best camera phone available. Nokia 808 has a better camera, and its supposed to be 50 bucks cheaper, but its not android so yeah...

Galaxy Nexus is better choice for less in my opinion, it has dual-core processor so you are not paying for extra 2 cores you won't use. It will always have the latest Android version. And its not as bulky too. Still no better than my LG P999 tho, but better than the other two you mentioned.