MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
phone ymich First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 08-28-2011 12:46 AM
I Phone 5G mfattal General Discussion 14 07-21-2011 09:11 PM
I Need a Phone! RyanC General Discussion 116 02-20-2011 01:39 AM
Internet, Home phone, tv and cell phone bill **jewel 03** General Discussion 15 10-15-2009 07:29 PM

New phone?

Old 09-23-2012 at 04:39 PM   #16
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

I personally found the Galaxy Nexus to be too big for my hands. OP should look into the Google Nexus S which is the phone I currently have.
Old 09-23-2012 at 04:40 PM   #17
jon.john23
Elite Member

Liked: 130 Times

@AngryBean,

i agree the Nexus will give u the most bang for ur buck atm. Its a great device!

Old 09-23-2012 at 04:49 PM   #18
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

I've heard lots of good things about nexus s, but be realistic, you probably only want to listen to music, check email, browse facebook and do other minor things that are easily accommodatable with a lower end phone...
Old 09-23-2012 at 04:56 PM   #19
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
I've heard lots of good things about nexus s, but be realistic, you probably only want to listen to music, check email, browse facebook and do other minor things that are easily accommodatable with a lower end phone...
I'm sure that the Nexus S will do for the OP just fine. She did mention games though, obviously some games will perform quite poorly on the Nexus S, where most games should be fine. I don't play any games on my phone anymore, so I wouldn't really know anymore.
Old 09-23-2012 at 05:07 PM   #20
AngryBean
Account Locked

Liked: 129 Times

I'm sure that the Nexus S will do for the OP just fine. She did mention games though, obviously some games will perform quite poorly on the Nexus S, where most games should be fine. I don't play any games on my phone anymore, so I wouldn't really know anymore.

If games is one of the things she's looking for, she should probably look at a Tegra2 device. Not many of those on the market available cheaply anymore.
Old 09-23-2012 at 05:08 PM   #21
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryBean View Post

If games is one of the things she's looking for, she should probably look at a Tegra2 device. Not many of those on the market available cheaply anymore.
Depends on the types of game the OP is interested in though. If she is going to play games like Angry Birds or Cut The Rope or something it'll be fine for that..and so on.
Old 09-25-2012 at 09:54 PM   #22
AAAAAnson

Liked: 0 Times

i got a Samsung galaxy s iii from Rogers. Each month i need to pay for $59(include taxes), but it does not include call display. Also, only 200MB date to use, I just wanna say Shoot!
Old 09-26-2012 at 09:02 AM   #23
Andrew A
Elite Member

Liked: 80 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAAAAnson View Post
i got a Samsung galaxy s iii from Rogers. Each month i need to pay for $59(include taxes), but it does not include call display. Also, only 200MB date to use, I just wanna say Shoot!
That's pretty bad... do you at least have unlimited calling or something?
Old 09-26-2012 at 09:13 AM   #24
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAAAAnson View Post
That's terrible. You're paying ~2000$ (59$/mo over assumed 3 year contract) for a SIII with an overpriced plan... are you new to Roger's or something? Negotiate that shit!
Old 09-26-2012 at 09:26 AM   #25
Andrew A
Elite Member

My monthly bill comes out to something like $64 after taxes, and includes 200 anytime minutes, unlimited weekends and evenings (starting at 6PM I think, maybe it's 5), as well as unlimited Canada-wide calling to any 10 numbers I define, unlimited SMS/MMS to anyone, and 500MB of data with an overage charge of $10/GB, plus caller ID and call waiting.

How does your plan compare to that, AAAAAnson? I'm not with Rogers, I'm with Virgin, but there shouldn't be that kind of apparent discrepancy between the plans and prices.
Old 09-26-2012 at 11:27 AM   #26
AngryBean
Account Locked

Why not just go with Wind then? For 40 bucks you will get everything and more. Even the fact that the stupid frequency they are using doesn't work in concreat buildings wont matter in this case, because you don't get charged for using the GSM stations.

Last edited by AngryBean : 09-26-2012 at 03:56 PM.
Old 09-26-2012 at 11:33 AM   #27
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
Why not just go with Wind then? For 40 bucks you will get everything and more. Even the fact that the stupid frequency they are using doesn't work in concreat buildings wont matter in this case, because you don't get charged for using the GPRS stations.
I somehow get the feeling that you think that they actually had a choice when it came to what frequency they wanted to go with.
Old 09-26-2012 at 11:40 AM   #28
AngryBean
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
I somehow get the feeling that you think that they actually had a choice when it came to what frequency they wanted to go with.
Yes I do, there's at least 4 bands used in Canada, for some reason the fourth one (Wind's) is the most heavily used.
Old 09-26-2012 at 03:04 PM   #29
Andrew A
Elite Member

Quote:
Why not just go with Wind then? For 40 bucks you will get everything and more. Even the fact that the stupid frequency they are using doesn't work in concreat buildings wont matter in this case, because you don't get charged for using the GPRS stations.
I'm on a contract and at the time I signed it, I had heard a lot of pretty bad things about Wind's network coverage, and I'm still not fully convinced by it. I've upgraded phones since signing that contract by buying an unlocked phone, and I'm also not sure if my new phone is compatible with Wind's network. I could check, but there isn't too much of a point while I'm still on contract for almost a year.

What's that about the GPRS stations? I'm not sure what you meant.
Old 09-26-2012 at 03:52 PM   #30
AngryBean
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew A View Post
I'm on a contract and at the time I signed it, I had heard a lot of pretty bad things about Wind's network coverage, and I'm still not fully convinced by it. I've upgraded phones since signing that contract by buying an unlocked phone, and I'm also not sure if my new phone is compatible with Wind's network. I could check, but there isn't too much of a point while I'm still on contract for almost a year.

What's that about the GPRS stations? I'm not sure what you meant.
Wind is fine, the thing is Wind has separated its networks into Home Network that uses the UMTS (3G), and the Away network that uses the good old GSM system. Since the Wind's UMTS band frequency doesn't go well thru some materials (thus the bad to no connection in certain buildings), the phones that lose UMTS connection automatically switches to the GSM connection until UMTS connection gets restored. GSM is slow for data transmissions but is just fine for calls, also it doesn't have the same frequency problems and the range is just huge. The problem is that unless you get free Canada-Wide calls in the 40 dollar package, you cant call non-WIND users without getting charged for non-local calls. Which sucks, but for 25 bucks and a great phone it's something you have to deal with.

The way I got around that is turning my Android to UMTS Network only, so I either get free calls, or nothing at all. That way if I get a call neither me or the calling person, gets charged. That option seems to be missing in Windows Phone 7 phones.

Another thing is that I can't use my old Nokia 3310, because it only supports GSM.

EDIT: Sorry I confused the GSM and GPRS terms.