MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
When to look for off campus housing? ashlay17 Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 10 11-02-2010 02:31 PM
Off-Campus Housing Part Five: What’s Included? lorend Residence & Off-Campus Living 0 01-22-2008 11:27 PM
Off-Campus Housing Part Four: What to Look For When Looking At Places lorend Residence & Off-Campus Living 0 01-13-2008 01:43 PM
Off-Campus Housing Part Two: Who to Live With? lorend Residence & Off-Campus Living 0 01-01-2008 07:27 PM
Off-Campus Housing Part One: Introduction lorend Residence & Off-Campus Living 0 12-20-2007 11:13 PM

Off-Campus Housing Part Three: Where to Live?

Off-Campus Housing Part Three: Where to Live?

Like many other areas, Hamilton is divided into zones. For a visual of the zones (because I couldn’t really explain them for the life of me), check out the map. Now, Zone 1 houses are closest to Mac, and Zone 8 are the furthest. Most students tend to live in Zone One, with some living in Zone Two. This is not to say that students don’t live in the other zones, however most Mac students tend to live closer to Mac.

Zone One encompasses the areas from Longwood to Main St. West to the 403. Approximately half of Zone One is the Westdale area, which has grocery stores (the Barn) various places to eat (Pita Pit, TCBY, Niche, others), and various other amenities. The other half of Zone One is on the other side of Mac (near Thode and Keyes and whatnot). There are some issues with living here. First, is WADS; they don’t like us. Second, sometimes houses in this area can cost a little bit more than they’re worth. But, this is where the students live. Like me!

Zone Two is about a half an hour walk from campus. It has a lot of apartment buildings, in comparison to Zone One, which is mostly houses. Sadly, that’s all I can really tell you about this area, as it’s on the other side of the 403 and I’m quite unfamiliar with it. Apparently there are a lot of nice coffee shops and eateries.

Zone Three has the area around Hess Village and Jackson Square. Again, here there are a lot of apartments, but there are also duplexes. In this area you are close (very close) to many bus routes, and there is a lot of stuff to do. However you may encounter creepy downtown folk.

Zone Four is located in the Dundas area; near lots up graduate students and faculty. There are lots of parks here, as well as the Dundas Valley Conservation Area. Zone Four actually borders the North-West side of campus, and it takes around half an hour to walk.

From there are Zones five through eight; which apparently have limited housing available for students, as well as limited access to buses. When looking on the map I actually don’t know where these places are. Probably because they’re not all that accessible by bus.

Of course, there are pros and cons to living in all of these places. Some are further away, but could be much cheaper. Some could be closer, but cost a little bit more. Some could be in an exclusively student area, while some may be surrounded by families. Again, a lot of these things have to be talked about with who you’re planning to live with.

So now you know where you can live and some (very brief) pros and cons associated with it. And yet there are still so many things for you to consider.
Published by
MacInsiders VP

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 09-05-2008 at 11:05 PM   #2
TKNG
Faculty: Business / Commerce
Year: First

Liked: 0 Times
WADS?
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 09-05-2008 at 11:09 PM   #3
JBeans
Program: Materials Science & Engineering
Year: Alumni
Residence: Matthews (06-08), SOCS (08-10)

Liked: 14 Times
Westdale Against Drunk Students

TKNG says thanks to JBeans for this post.
Old 09-05-2008 at 11:14 PM   #4
TKNG
Faculty: Business / Commerce
Year: First

Liked: 0 Times
Ah, sankyew ^^

Article Tools