MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Residence/Medical Radiation Sciences Linh First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 03-20-2010 10:14 PM
Faculty and Program Series Part Seven: Medical Radiation Sciences Program jhan523 Faculty & Program Series 1 09-05-2009 12:53 AM
Medical Radiation Sciences _Luu_ Academics 1 07-07-2009 10:14 PM

What is the official cutoff for Radiation Sciences?

Old 04-29-2008 at 10:19 PM   #1
kenvin100
Elite Member

Liked: 21 Times

What is the official cutoff for Radiation Sciences?
Hi, so my friend is concerned she might not receive acceptance for Radiation Sciences. Her marks are stellar with an 84% top 6 average including pre-reqs...Not easy to acheive if you have all three sciences and a math course..wow what a semester..

So I want to know what the official cutoff is..I see on the McMaster site, it says 82-84% Has that changed? Are her odds good? I honestly think they are since I got in with 81% into Engineering lol!

So I think her marks have surpassed the cutoff, but is lacking some confidence so I'm speaking on her behalf!
Old 04-30-2008 at 12:12 PM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Acceptance marks requirements vary slightly from year to year, depending on enrolment numbers, how many are accepted in the first round etc.

If she meets the average from the previous year then she stands a very good chance at acceptance.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 04-30-2008 at 02:34 PM   #3
treefrog

Liked: 0 Times

Hi I went to an openhouse in march and their updated admission average was 85 for radiation science. It will go down though.. if people reject offers i guess.
Old 04-30-2008 at 03:23 PM   #4
kenvin100
Elite Member

lol i just called the uni and they said 82? Im confused
Old 04-30-2008 at 07:51 PM   #5
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

Oh did your friend hear from them about Med Rad? I am also having an 84 averageso I thought I was gonna get rejected.. but I guess there is hope, maybe

lol not sure if i can handle all the physics and math though
Old 04-30-2008 at 08:07 PM   #6
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

As I said before, it depends on how many people apply and their averages as to who gets in with what average.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 05-01-2008 at 03:29 PM   #7
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

An 84 isn't bad, I wouldn't be too afraid. Have a lot of people that you know who are going into the same program gotten their acceptance letters yet?
Old 05-01-2008 at 07:46 PM   #8
Aestas

Liked: 0 Times

I'm not sure if Mac lowered the cutoff or not, but everyone I know who got in has at least an 86%. I got my offer on the 29th with an 87%...

They might lower the cutoff once the health science offers start coming out, because a lot of people are still waiting on that.
Old 05-01-2008 at 07:49 PM   #9
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

I'm pretty sure they won't lower the requirements once they've started accepting people...

Old 05-02-2008 at 06:37 AM   #10
kenvin100
Elite Member

For Radiation Sciences...uh no

But I got in for engineering on tues..and I thought I wouldnt make it lol

and another dude i know got in to Humanities or something

I think she might've worried since my acceptance was early..like the week after midterms were submitted and odds are she was expecting it

But my question is this: does McMaster accept kids 1% below the cutoff? I know Lorend is gotta get mad cause its prolly the same answer hahah

Last edited by kenvin100 : 05-02-2008 at 06:40 AM.
Old 05-02-2008 at 06:52 AM   #11
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

not mad...just...it feels like i'm "talking" to myself.

as i've said previously, it all depends on the number of people who apply and their averages. the acceptance average they are giving is based on last year's applicants.

let's say you have 1000 people applying for 100 spots. 80 people have an average of 91% or better. those 80 get accepted, and the remaining twenty spots go to the next highest averages. thus the following year, the acceptance average will be 91%.

Old 05-02-2008 at 07:06 AM   #12
kenvin100
Elite Member

Yes..I understand

I apologize, what can I say, cant a guy be concerned for a friend? lol
Old 05-02-2008 at 09:55 AM   #13
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

no problem Kenvin. Lots of people are asking about cut offs since its a very important thing to be able to get into Mac, so understandably people are on edge if they haven't been accepted yet

Unfortunately there isn't much you can do except wait and see what happens. Cut offs change, they don't tell you what the cut offs are for this year since they don't know what they will be yet since people are still applying or not accepting offers, etc. You can only base it on last year's applicants which could drastically change the next year depending on how many apply, so it's hard to tell.

If your friend doesn't hear from Mac in a few weeks, then I'd start getting concerned and phoning people up to check if there's any updates with the cut off.

We wish your friend best of luck!
Old 05-02-2008 at 10:53 AM   #14
kenvin100
Elite Member

okay, I'll tell her that thanks!

I hope I can meet you and Lorend when I arrive lol
Old 05-02-2008 at 01:21 PM   #15
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

Definitely. Let us know when you're on campus. We'll also have a booth at Clubsfest 2008 which is in Sept during Welcome Week, you can meet us and pick up some free schwag