MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Time to think about organic chem? dedust Academics 19 03-07-2010 04:57 PM
organic chem, when to take it? pandachi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 04-20-2009 08:38 PM

What organic chem should I take?

Old 10-09-2008 at 07:59 PM   #1
aviaf
Richard Cioci

Liked: 50 Times

What organic chem should I take?
I want to take organic chem so i have certain prereqs for some med schools. I am planning to go into either honors life sci or honors molecular biology, and I want to take organic chem in the summer (is this recommended? what if I get a lower mark, some med school wont count marks from the summer courses). and i wanted to know which i should be taking, to me it seems to be: Chem 20A3, it has prereq Chem 1A03 which i am doing and it needs you to be registered in an honors program. The other org chem seem to be for honors in chem.

Is this right?
Old 10-09-2008
samantha__
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 10-09-2008 at 11:07 PM   #2
samantha__
Elite Member

Liked: 9 Times

I know alot of people that ended up taking both Orgos, but for the most part, majority took the first orgo. You would have to check with whatever uni you want to go to for med school to see if they accept summer school marks.

Old 10-09-2008 at 11:30 PM   #3
aviaf
Richard Cioci

Liked: 50 Times

yea, i know, i will look, but as far as i know, most of the med schools i will apply to only require it as a prerequisite (as in completing the course) and dont require its mark (assuming its above a certain percent I guess) I'll see, I'll go talk to faculty of science, thx.

And for the both or one org chem, im gonna take both org chem I and II but there are two types for both as i see it. thx, ill ask around
Old 10-10-2008 at 12:00 AM   #4
chugaucon

Liked: 11 Times

Hey, most, if not all US schools, Carribean, and some Canadian schools requires a full year of Organic Chemistry, Physics and English. The one you want to take is Chem 2OA3 and Chem 2OB3, but then with that being said, just check with the schools to be sure. The pre-req for that I think is Chem 1AA3.
Old 10-10-2008 at 11:18 PM   #5
samtheman89

Liked: 18 Times

This "orgo as a med school requirement" is a rumour.

Ottawa is the only school which requires a full year of orgo. And you don't even have to get it that way.

It can be combination of two years of either: a year of orgo with labs, a year of chem with labs, or a year of biochem without labs.

so you can take biochem+ first year chem or any combo that works for you.

Toronto, Ottawa and Queens require a full year of humanities/soc sci.

Toronto requires 2 years of life sciences- very broad and a year of soc sci or humanities.

Queens requires 1 year of bio, 1 year of physicals sciences (i.e. chem or physics), and 1 year of humanities/soc sci.

The rest, don't have any prereqs.