MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
US Students and Loans Blues Financial Aid 4 08-31-2010 03:39 PM
Student Loans Banshee Financial Aid 5 06-08-2010 02:21 PM
OSAP and my Student Account Thom14 General Discussion 2 09-27-2009 06:31 PM
Negotiating Loans (OSAP question) Sultan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 09-11-2009 12:33 AM
National Aboriginal Day lorend Misc 2 06-17-2009 12:43 PM

OSAP, National Student Loans Letter

Old 04-18-2011 at 10:00 PM   #1
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

OSAP, National Student Loans Letter
Hey guys, I forget what I did last year, but if you have OSAP you get this letter saying your studies are ending April 30th, 2011, and interest will start accruing unless I am returning to school.

I'm planning to apply for OSAP in the summer again and continue school in September, so do I actually have to do anything to let them know not to start charging interest or will all this be done for me via the new application to OSAP and such?

Thanks.
Old 04-18-2011 at 10:02 PM   #2
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
Hey guys, I forget what I did last year, but if you have OSAP you get this letter saying your studies are ending April 30th, 2011, and interest will start accruing unless I am returning to school.

I'm planning to apply for OSAP in the summer again and continue school in September, so do I actually have to do anything to let them know not to start charging interest or will all this be done for me via the new application to OSAP and such?

Thanks.
Nope. Once you register/etc, they'll get the memo eventually.

Alchemist11 says thanks to britb for this post.
Old 04-18-2011 at 10:21 PM   #3
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post

Thanks.
Interest starts in 6 months if they don't get 'that memo' (I think). So you have to be enrolled for sure (confirmed and everything by october(?).
Old 04-18-2011 at 10:44 PM   #4
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Interest starts in 6 months if they don't get 'that memo' (I think). So you have to be enrolled for sure (confirmed and everything by october(?).
Yep. But since enrollment is much earlier than that, its a non-issue. We select courses months before that.
Old 04-19-2011 at 12:34 AM   #5
TheCrucible

Liked: 51 Times

I don't think we have to do anything other than apply for OSAP again and pick it up when it's ready. The NSLSC wants the "Confirmation of Enrolment Form". This form is printed by OSAP and is sent to Financial Aid, and we sign it when we pick up our OSAP in September.

Note that your letter should say that you "don't have to pay anything until November" and that if you are returning to school, you need to "let them know by November" at the latest. So, we will be letting them know before November, and so we shouldn't be paying any interest (and we shouldn't have to do anything now other than apply for OSAP again).
Old 04-19-2011 at 01:17 AM   #6
dsahota

Liked: 83 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrucible View Post
I don't think we have to do anything other than apply for OSAP again and pick it up when it's ready. The NSLSC wants the "Confirmation of Enrolment Form". This form is printed by OSAP and is sent to Financial Aid, and we sign it when we pick up our OSAP in September.
This is correct, if you are applying for OSAP again then your interest free status will be automatically updated and you'll have no problems. If you register for next year but aren't applying for OSAP then you need to fill out the Continuation of Interest Free Status forms which are available here:

https://osap.gov.on.ca/OSAPPortal/en...ONT003606.html

The form is also available in the Financial Aid office in prettier colour format. Since you have to get it signed off by Financial Aid anyways, I'd recommend just going there to pickup and complete the form. Sometimes they'll even send/fax it off for you (but don't expect this).
Old 04-19-2011 at 08:24 AM   #7
AmyLia

Liked: 28 Times

I'm sorry but I have to disagree. If you're applying for OSAP again, it will NOT automatically update your status.
I apply every year (and I get approved) and I still have to go in to the fiancial aid office every september to fill out that form.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to go in September just to make sure that everything's in order.
Old 04-19-2011 at 01:28 PM   #8
guest_295
Happy and Helpful

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post

Interest on the PROVINCIAL portion builds 6months later
Interest on the FEDERAL portion builds May 1st.

and you must fill out that form its not going to automatically update.
Old 04-19-2011 at 01:56 PM   #9
Harlequin

Liked: 35 Times

I apply every year and get approved and have never had to fill out this form...