MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Level II Confusion? JAYJAY Academics 7 05-21-2011 11:28 PM
Pharmacy mfattal Academics 44 04-21-2011 11:09 PM
Course Confusion!! ishk33 Academics 3 01-10-2011 09:25 PM
Course Selection Confusion Flintstone Academics 1 06-14-2010 04:49 AM
Honours Life Sciences can lead you to Pharmacy School? caludujf General Discussion 8 06-09-2009 03:55 PM

Pharmacy confusion

Old 06-12-2011 at 07:09 PM   #1
Angoose
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Pharmacy confusion
Hey everyone, I hope everyone's enjoying their Spring/almost-Summer. I've been reading into the pharmacy program offered at UofT and Waterloo and had a few questions regarding physics in the admissions process. For UofT it said that grade 12u Physics or a university equivalent would be enough as a requirement. I did not take 12U physics, but took Physics 1L03. Would that be enough to let me apply for the pharmacy program as long as I met the other prereqs? But then my second problem is that at the bottom of the site it said for university level courses, at least two terms would be required. Does that mean I'd need Physics 1L03 and B03, or B03 and BB3?! Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for your time!
Old 06-12-2011 at 07:12 PM   #2
Kareko

Liked: 8 Times

I would recommend sending a mail to an adviser from UofT if you are concerned. they will know much better than people on a Mac forum would be able to and should be working during the summer too. I would suggest trying their registrar office or admissions etc.
Good luck
Old 06-12-2011 at 07:17 PM   #3
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angoose View Post
Hey everyone, I hope everyone's enjoying their Spring/almost-Summer. I've been reading into the pharmacy program offered at UofT and Waterloo and had a few questions regarding physics in the admissions process. For UofT it said that grade 12u Physics or a university equivalent would be enough as a requirement. I did not take 12U physics, but took Physics 1L03. Would that be enough to let me apply for the pharmacy program as long as I met the other prereqs? But then my second problem is that at the bottom of the site it said for university level courses, at least two terms would be required. Does that mean I'd need Physics 1L03 and B03, or B03 and BB3?! Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for your time!
No one will be able to answer your question fully and accurately, so I suggest you contact the Uof T Pharm admissions and inquire about what courses exactly they require. Usually schools have a list of course equivalents that are accepted at other universities so maybe they can refer you to that.
Old 06-12-2011 at 07:52 PM   #4
particle
Elite Member

Liked: 30 Times

You need a full year of physics. I'm pretty sure L03 + B03 will satisfy the requirement.
Old 06-12-2011 at 09:02 PM   #5
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

From UofT's website:

PHYSICS
  • Must be either SPH4U Physics, or Grade 12U equivalent from other educational systems, or university level. Refer to the ‘Secondary School Credits’ section of this website for general information related to secondary school equivalencies.
  • If you did not complete an equivalent secondary school credit you may use a university level credit (2 terms/semesters). No preference is given to university level courses.
  • If you list a university level credit, it is necessary to list only introductory (first year) courses. Labs are not required.
  • University Physics courses offered primarily for Arts students to fulfill science breadth requirements will not meet the requirement.
Old 06-12-2011 at 10:26 PM   #6
Angoose
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
From UofT's website:

PHYSICS
  • Must be either SPH4U Physics, or Grade 12U equivalent from other educational systems, or university level. Refer to the ‘Secondary School Credits’ section of this website for general information related to secondary school equivalencies.
  • If you did not complete an equivalent secondary school credit you may use a university level credit (2 terms/semesters). No preference is given to university level courses.
  • If you list a university level credit, it is necessary to list only introductory (first year) courses. Labs are not required.
  • University Physics courses offered primarily for Arts students to fulfill science breadth requirements will not meet the requirement.
If you list a university level credit, it is necessary to list only introductory (first year) courses. Labs are not required.

:O, Does this mean physics 1l03 will work?!?!?!?! I just sent UofT an email, but I'll have to wait for a reply :(.
Old 06-12-2011 at 10:28 PM   #7
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
If you list a university level credit, it is necessary to list only introductory (first year) courses. Labs are not required.

:O, Does this mean physics 1l03 will work?!?!?!?! I just sent UofT an email, but I'll have to wait for a reply :(.
Yep, that's essentially what it means , so 1L03 and 1B03 would work and you don't need 1BB3.
Old 06-13-2011 at 12:01 AM   #8
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by particle View Post
You need a full year of physics. I'm pretty sure L03 + B03 will satisfy the requirement.
1L03 isn't exactly university level physics, it's more like a high school equivalent, but I don't think other universities would know that. So you can probably get away with 1L03 and 1B03 counting as a 'full year of physics'.

You should email and ask them if you can use 1L03+1B03 to make sure. If not, you might have to take 1BB3.
Old 06-13-2011 at 12:03 AM   #9
Angoose
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsci View Post
1L03 isn't exactly university level physics, it's more like a high school equivalent, but I don't think other universities would know that. So you can probably get away with 1L03 and 1B03 counting as a 'full year of physics'.

You should email and ask them if you can use 1L03+1B03 to make sure. If not, you might have to take 1BB3.
Man, I thought I could get away with not taking B03 OR BB3. Physics isn't my strong suit at all. If I need BB3, then I don't think I'll be able to apply for pharmacy next year, since I'd have to do BB3 in second term...but the application is due before January :(.
Old 06-13-2011 at 12:11 AM   #10
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

Quote:
Man, I thought I could get away with not taking B03 OR BB3. Physics isn't my strong suit at all. If I need BB3, then I don't think I'll be able to apply for pharmacy next year, since I'd have to do BB3 in second term...but the application is due before January :(.
If it requires a full year, you probably need a full year. You probably don't need 1BB3 though (ask to make sure).

So long as you're signed up for the course, you should still be eligible to apply. Just make sure you complete it before starting pharmacy school.
Old 06-13-2011 at 01:41 AM   #11
AngusLee

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsci View Post
If it requires a full year, you probably need a full year. You probably don't need 1BB3 though (ask to make sure).

So long as you're signed up for the course, you should still be eligible to apply. Just make sure you complete it before starting pharmacy school.
Man, I really hate physics...hopefully I don't have to take it haha.

Last edited by AngusLee : 06-13-2011 at 01:49 AM.