Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Physiology at mac winter02 Academics 20 01-21-2012 09:52 AM

Physiology Lab One

Old 01-21-2012 at 09:05 PM   #1
lisar

Liked: 8 Times

Physiology Lab One
Hey guys, i have a question for anyone who has taken biology 2a03, for the nutrition lab (lab 1), we have to write a 2 page results section and with the margins and line spacing they want, i have written everything i possibly could describing the graph and the table and i am still not at even a page, does anyone have any suggestions about what else i could possibly write about? I have described the numbers, detailed calculations, percent deviations...Thanks.

-Lisa
Old 01-21-2012 at 09:23 PM   #2
lankan_4lif

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisar View Post
Hey guys, i have a question for anyone who has taken biology 2a03, for the nutrition lab (lab 1), we have to write a 2 page results section and with the margins and line spacing they want, i have written everything i possibly could describing the graph and the table and i am still not at even a page, does anyone have any suggestions about what else i could possibly write about? I have described the numbers, detailed calculations, percent deviations...Thanks.

-Lisa
You do not need to have exactly 2 pages but you should have more than 1 page. With stating the results, fold increases/decreases and describing the trends but not the significance of it, plus including a table or graph to best illustrate the most important results or both should get you past 1 page. I have attached some guidelines/type of marking scheme Thelma posted for us near the end of the course on the lab results section. Hope it helps. Good luck with the labs, those were a pain in the ass to write. Make sure you follow the guidelines and include everything they ask, you will get docked marks for small things at times.

PS: I would recommend going to your TA after you get your first lab marked and ask them what they expect from you in various sections of the lab. At times, you are not always clear of their expectations of what they want you to write for each section so I would advise asking them as many questions as you have on how to improve.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Biology 2A03 Tables & Graphs Grading Schemes.pdf (64.8 KB, 42 views)

lisar, lt93 all say thanks to lankan_4lif for this post.

lisar, lt93 like this.
Old 01-21-2012 at 09:33 PM   #3
lisar

Liked: 8 Times

Ok, thats great! Thanks so much. I know, they are such a pain and it is only the first one, they just take up so much time which its hard to find a lot of with midterms and such coming up. Thanks so much for the suggestions!
Old 01-21-2012 at 10:02 PM   #4
exuberant888

Liked: 55 Times

I have a TA who did not explain anything regarding the lab, in terms or content or specific guidelines and expectations. I'm kind of worried seeing how everyone is mentioning that you will get marks docked if you are missing specific things. So my question is, is everything you need to know included in the lab manual, or were their additional things that your TAs mentioned that were not in the lab manual. My TA wanted us to include jokes in our lab reports...I don't know what to make of this TA/if I should take him seriously.

fatcat likes this.
Old 01-21-2012 at 10:09 PM   #5
lankan_4lif

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by exuberant888 View Post
I have a TA who did not explain anything regarding the lab, in terms or content or specific guidelines and expectations. I'm kind of worried seeing how everyone is mentioning that you will get marks docked if you are missing specific things. So my question is, is everything you need to know included in the lab manual, or were their additional things that your TAs mentioned that were not in the lab manual. My TA wanted us to include jokes in our lab reports...I don't know what to make of this TA/if I should take him seriously.
Your TA wanted you to include jokes, I don't think you should take him/her seriously. Well the lab manual covers most of it but the TA would specify some things during the lab that he/she would like you to include in your report and this may vary among different lab sections. The TAs are given a general marking scheme but some mark harder than others and have their own expectations from you. It's best if you talk with them to ask them what they expect, if you are still unclear especially for the results section. The average last year for the labs were in the low 70s for the class if i recall correctly but varied depending on which TA you had.
Old 01-25-2012 at 03:52 PM   #6
marido

Liked: 5 Times

where does it say the page limits? all i see is formatting stuff not actual page limit
is it 2 page just for results like you said or is it 2 pages for everything including conclusion?
Old 01-25-2012 at 04:31 PM   #7
pavlov

Liked: 72 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by exuberant888 View Post
I think your TA may be my TA from last year. If it is I wouldn't worry too much. He was a lenient marker and I ended up getting 80s and 90s on my reports.
Old 01-25-2012 at 05:46 PM   #8
exuberant888

Liked: 55 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavlov View Post
I think your TA may be my TA from last year. If it is I wouldn't worry too much. He was a lenient marker and I ended up getting 80s and 90s on my reports.
Was your TA name Benjamin?
Old 01-26-2012 at 11:17 AM   #9
epikness

Liked: 37 Times

can someone please explain the graph part. I don;t understand how to present my data as bar graph.