MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Protocol when a class is full? Alchemist11 Academics 28 06-14-2010 08:59 PM
classes on Easter Monday? yum24 Academics 7 03-27-2010 02:33 AM
Picketing chants / cheers DannyV General Discussion 42 11-02-2009 12:03 PM
Anyone happen to know anything about credit reports? etc. Greco General Discussion 3 08-15-2009 11:26 AM
what will happen if I fail one elective course hellrise00 Academics 3 05-08-2009 07:36 PM

Picketing Will Happen Monday - Here's the Protocol

Picketing Will Happen Monday - Here's the Protocol

Picket lines will cause delays for people entering campus. Please plan for these delays and exercise caution and respect to ensure safety for yourself and picketers. Remain calm and patient at all times.

The University and the union have agreed to a picketing protocol. The union has agreed that:
  • Picketing will not delay vehicles for more than 5 minutes in total from the time the vehicle enters a staging area
  • The staging area will be approximately four car lengths
  • Pickets will only take place at the Sterling St. and Cootes Drive entrances of the main campus
    Access through the Main Street West entrance is limited to:
  • Heavy trucks (as defined by the City of Hamilton By-Law)
  • Emergency vehicles
  • Darts transportation
  • McMaster Security personnel
  • Any vehicle providing medical services or involved in the shipping and receiving of supplies to the McMaster University Medical Hospital site
  • McMaster students who live in campus residences provided the vehicle displays a residence identification, including the licence plate number of the vehicle entering campus
  • Any vehicle essential to shipping and receiving at the Nuclear Reactor
  • Vehicles with an authorized McMaster Children's Centre Identification
  • Off-campus medical facilities at which University employees work will not be restricted by informational pickets
    Police will not permit a line of vehicles entering campus to extend beyond certain geographical points in order to maintain safety. Picketers have a legal right to conduct a picket line. You have the right to attend whatever business brings you to campus. If you feel unsafe, please contact McMaster Security at ext 24281 or from a campus phone dial 88.

Additional information on accessing campus during a strike, including information on HSR and GO Transit, is available here.

The complete Picketing Protocol Agreement is available here.

• Lois, MacEng, Maegs all say thanks to lorend for this post.
    Published by
    MacInsiders VP

Article Tools

Deleted Post
    Old 11-01-2009 at 05:04 PM   #2
    MacEng

Liked: 125 Times
    Was just about to post this, thanks lorend

lorend says thanks to MacEng for this post.

Old 11-01-2009 at 05:25 PM   #3
    arathbon
    Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times
    Is it just me or does the protocol only establish a brief statement by the union about how it doesn't support actions in violation of the protocol as the punishment for breaking it?

That and I feel sold out. The University should have insisted that NO space on the university be used by picketers (as they are allowed to do). Not picketing the Main West entrance (providing that the vast majority of potential users don't use it is a red herring as the main purpose is to preserve Ambulance access which no government would permit the union to block anyways.

In fact it makes things worse as the majority now have to squeeze through the other picketed entrances.

Also what does the "does not condone uncivil behaviour mean?"

Does that mean that if I say something like "piss off" to a picketer who attempts to impede me that I will be legally or academically sanctioned by the University?

Old 11-01-2009 at 06:42 PM   #4
    lorend
    MacInsiders VP
    MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by arathbon View Post
    Is it just me or does the protocol only establish a brief statement by the union about how it doesn't support actions in violation of the protocol as the punishment for breaking it?

That and I feel sold out. The University should have insisted that NO space on the university be used by picketers (as they are allowed to do). Not picketing the Main West entrance (providing that the vast majority of potential users don't use it is a red herring as the main purpose is to preserve Ambulance access which no government would permit the union to block anyways.

In fact it makes things worse as the majority now have to squeeze through the other picketed entrances.

Also what does the "does not condone uncivil behaviour mean?"

Does that mean that if I say something like "piss off" to a picketer who attempts to impede me that I will be legally or academically sanctioned by the University?

They're not picketing on campus though.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 11-01-2009 at 07:35 PM   #5
    Omega_X13

Liked: 9 Times
    Um, does anyone know what time they would start and end at?

Old 11-01-2009 at 07:51 PM   #6
    lorend
    MacInsiders VP
    MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Omega_X13 View Post
    Um, does anyone know what time they would start and end at?
    If you're wondering about public transit they're staying off campus for all hours of the day.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 11-01-2009 at 07:53 PM   #7
    arathbon
    Elite Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lorend View Post
    They're not picketing on campus though.
    Articles 10 and 11 provide space on campus to support their picketing. As well they are allowed to use campus washrooms.

The university didn't have to allow this.

Old 11-01-2009 at 07:58 PM   #8
    Omega_X13

Liked: 9 Times
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lorend View Post
    If you're wondering about public transit they're staying off campus for all hours of the day.
    Oh no, I'm wondering about the Cootes entrance because I commute

Old 11-01-2009 at 08:34 PM   #9
    feonateresa
    Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times
    So the buses aren't going into Mac whatsoever? Greeaat... I've been meaning to go to the gym for some workouts, now I've got one. Thanks CUPE.

malycknm says thanks to feonateresa for this post.

Old 11-01-2009 at 08:41 PM   #10
    michelle

Liked: 61 Times
    I believe people will be out from 7am to 7pm. I could be wrong on this.

Old 11-01-2009 at 08:53 PM   #11
    Lois
    Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times
    Quote:
    Articles 10 and 11 provide space on campus to support their picketing. As well they are allowed to use campus washrooms.

The university didn't have to allow this.
    People need to use the washroom. I don't know anyone who can hold their bladder for 12 hours and I really don't want people urinating/defecating at the edge of campus.

Old 11-01-2009 at 09:07 PM   #12
    arathbon
    Elite Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    People need to use the washroom. I don't know anyone who can hold their bladder for 12 hours and I really don't want people urinating/defecating at the edge of campus.
    It's also illegal to do that. They obviously couldn't run 12 hour shifts.

Quite frankly, the university should have held out for better deals ie. allowing buses on campus without delay.

Old 11-01-2009 at 09:08 PM   #13
    DannyV
    Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times
    Quote:

Quite frankly, the university should have held out for better deals ie. allowing buses on campus without delay.
    Buses wouldn't be coming on campus either way. It is not the local CUPE union which controls it. The bus driver's union will not cross picket lines.

Old 11-01-2009 at 09:12 PM   #14
    arathbon
    Elite Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DannyV View Post
    Buses wouldn't be coming on campus either way. It is not the local CUPE union which controls it. The bus driver's union will not cross picket lines.
    Not if mac held out for picketing protocol where CUPE encouraged the bus drivers to cross in exchange for the concessions that they wanted (or needed) to run the pickets.

The bus drivers union would not engage in sympathy action if CUPE told it not to. It wouldn't be good sympathy action if it did.

Old 11-01-2009 at 09:14 PM   #15
    Lois
    Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times
    Quote:
    Most people picketing are students (TAs) and have a right to use the campus washrooms. I don't even see how this is an issue.

Quote:
    The problem is that the HSR runs through Sterling and the GO bus runs through Cootes. Both organizations would be delayed due to traffic even if the university lets them onto campus.

Article Tools Search this Article
    Search this Article:

Advanced Search