MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
check my timetable cjdzl First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 08-09-2010 06:03 PM
Someone check my timetable.. please Izzy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 0 06-26-2010 10:39 PM
Please check my Timetable Afzal First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 15 07-18-2009 10:43 AM
Please check my timetable Reno V First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 08-11-2008 10:15 AM
Timetable check plz **jewel 03** Academics 4 08-09-2008 10:49 AM

Please check my timetable :D.

Old 07-12-2011 at 11:07 PM   #1
Angoose
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Please check my timetable :D.
Hey everyone. I was just wondering if I could hear some opinions about my tentative timetable for second year. I am heading into honours biology and this year I will mainly be trying to complete my prerequisites for pharmacy. If I don't take bio2ee3 and physics1b03, I probably can't apply for pharmacy at the end of second year...but I'm afraid that if I take both courses at the same time as orgo I won't be able to focus on each subject while trying to maintain a competitive GPA. Should I just take it slow and complete bio2ee3/physics1b03 in third year or the summer? If so, which electives should I consider? I may be interested in a minor in either linguistics or psychology, but I'm not actually sure what the benefit of completing a minor is? By waiting until third year, would it make my schedule too light compared to the average life sci/honours sci student in second year? Please give me your advice! Any help is appreciated, ! If anyone has other elective recommendations, feel free to post them here!

1st term: CHEM2OA3, BIO2B03, CHEMBIO2P03, STATS2B03, AND( BIOE2EE3, ECON1B03, PSYCH2BO3,PSYCH2AP3 LING2L03, or LING 2SY3)

2nd term: CHEM2OB3, BIO2C03,BIOCHEM2EE3,M ATH1LT3, AND (PHYSICS1B03, ECON1B03, LING2PH3, PSYCH2AP3)
Old 07-12-2011 at 11:12 PM   #2
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

Since 1st term is kinda harrd with teh chembio and orgo (first orgo is harder than second one, its just alot different from 1st year chem and its better if you devote more time to it to learn how to exactly study) TAKE ECON 1B03 !

2nd term looks good since there is already a math spot I would avoid Physics 1B03 and do Psych 2AP3 but that is just me. Physics and math practice daily is just ... nahhh dont do it.

Good luck

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine
Old 07-12-2011 at 11:44 PM   #3
TheCheese

Liked: 19 Times

I would take Psych 2AP3 if you are willing to work for an elective... its a fantastically interesting course if you find the etiology of various disorders to be interesting, and Dr. Day is hands-down one of the best lecturers at Mac... BUT you WILL need to study quite a bit to do well in this course and a lot of the test material is based on memorizing statistics about the various disorders. Outside of that this was one of my favorite courses.

I haven't taken Psych 2B03 although again, Dr. Day is an amazing lecturer. I have heard from many sources that this course was also NOT an easy elective and requires a decent amount of studying, but was interesting.

Physics 1B03 could either be a bird or a living hell, depending on how good you were at physics in high school. I was really good at physics and got an 11 in this class without really trying, but a lot of people do badly and it definitely isn't a fun course... labs are awful and the CAPA assignments are tedious and sometimes frustrating. DO NOT take this course with Dr. Nejat, avoid Dr. Hughes if possible. Dr. Sills has really good slide shows, Dr. Rheinstadter does lots of in-class examples and is a fun lecturer, also has excellent slides.
Old 07-12-2011 at 11:54 PM   #4
cottoncandy

Liked: Liked 6 Times

if you can take physics in the summer of second year that way you can devote more time to it. I wouldnt take physics personally with chembio n orgo. bio 2ee3 you can probably manage but just a heads up there are lots of chapters to read for microbio if you can keep up with the readings regularly i dont think it will be a problem for you to do well in that course. If you want to minor in psych i think you can go with psych 2AP3. A minor would make you more diversified and it can possibly be advantageous for employment in a pharmacy or anywhere else.
Old 07-14-2011 at 12:16 AM   #5
Angoose
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottoncandy View Post
if you can take physics in the summer of second year that way you can devote more time to it. I wouldnt take physics personally with chembio n orgo. bio 2ee3 you can probably manage but just a heads up there are lots of chapters to read for microbio if you can keep up with the readings regularly i dont think it will be a problem for you to do well in that course. If you want to minor in psych i think you can go with psych 2AP3. A minor would make you more diversified and it can possibly be advantageous for employment in a pharmacy or anywhere else.

Thank you for your post, and thanks everyone for your awesome advice! I'm pretty horrible at physics, from my experience with L03. I'm not sure if it was because I had Nejat. He didn't really seem to teach that well. I'm willing to work for abnormal psych if that means doing all of the necessary readings, since it really does seem like an interesting course. I'm just hoping the tests aren't too brutal? Can anyone compare the difficulty of psych1xx3/x03 to psych2ap3? I might hold off on bio2ee3 then, since I hear bio2b03 is all memorization and reading? Would psych or linguistics minors be useful for pharmacy at all? hahha
Old 07-14-2011
tily4theboys
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 07-18-2011 at 10:44 PM   #6
Angoose
Elite Member

Does anyone know if chembio2p03 has been changed to pass-fail?
Old 07-18-2011 at 10:49 PM   #7
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angoose View Post
Does anyone know if chembio2p03 has been changed to pass-fail?
It doesn't indicate it in the undergrad calendar so I doubt it is. Also, it was only Pass/Fail last year due to some problems but other years you received a mark for it so it's probably back to that this year.
Old 07-21-2011 at 11:42 PM   #8
Angoose
Elite Member

Is the workload pretty intense for this course? I read that there are four/five midterms AND an exam :S.