3 word game killza General Discussion 329 07-10-2009 10:52 AM
Game suggestions The_Silencer Gaming 11 11-24-2008 02:39 PM

Poor sportsmanship at last night's game

Old 10-08-2010 at 02:35 PM   #1
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Poor sportsmanship at last night's game
Did anyone attend last night's football game? I can't get over the poor sportsmanship that Guelph displayed.

At the end of the fourth quarter, there was only 3 seconds left. Mac was winning, 43-35. Obviously it was pretty unlikely that Guelph would win. Just at 3 seconds, the clocked was stopped because one of our players was hurt. (It ended up being pretty bad, something wrong with his leg, and an ambulance was called). There was only 3 seconds left, but we were all waiting for like 5 to 10 minutes because our player was hurt in the middle of the field.

But before he got up and was carried to the ambulance, the Guelph team left! They didn't stay to make sure our player was okay (which you always wait to make sure an injured player is okay), and they didn't stay to shake hands with our team. They just up and left the field.

Was anyone there? There was LOTS of booing. I was pretty pissed. I still don't understand why they would just leave like that (unless I am missing something??)
Old 10-08-2010 at 02:48 PM   #2
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

Are you serious?! I wasn't at the game although I really wanted to go, it was just bad timing for me. I can't believe they did that! They need to learn a little bit of etiquette, I think. That's ridiculous. I don't know if anyone remembers but last year we played Guelph for Homecoming and one of their players got injured, he was down for 15 minutes. The Marauder coach came over to see if he could do anything. A couple months later, when everyone had probably just forgotten about it, he was in the hospital with recurring injuries from that event.
I think it's very cruel when people don't bother caring if there is "a man down" from the other school. Some people cheer. The thing is, though, that guy is someone's son, brother, best friend, boyfriend... he's not just a nameless face because he goes to another school! He is a HUMAN BEING. We ALL have friends who go to other universities, and we'd all be upset if they got injured during a sport (or anything else). What Guelph did is, to be put politely, dishonourable. I guess Guelph showed its true colours last night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
Did anyone attend last night's football game? I can't get over the poor sportsmanship that Guelph displayed.

At the end of the fourth quarter, there was only 3 seconds left. Mac was winning, 43-35. Obviously it was pretty unlikely that Guelph would win. Just at 3 seconds, the clocked was stopped because one of our players was hurt. (It ended up being pretty bad, something wrong with his leg, and an ambulance was called). There was only 3 seconds left, but we were all waiting for like 5 to 10 minutes because our player was hurt in the middle of the field.

But before he got up and was carried to the ambulance, the Guelph team left! They didn't stay to make sure our player was okay (which you always wait to make sure an injured player is okay), and they didn't stay to shake hands with our team. They just up and left the field.

Was anyone there? There was LOTS of booing. I was pretty pissed. I still don't understand why they would just leave like that (unless I am missing something??)
Old 10-08-2010 at 03:53 PM   #3
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

What exactly do you think staying would do?
Maybe they just wanted to take the chance to get home at a decent time and go to sleep after having played a tough game, and got their asses kicked?
(instead of standing around doing nothing, wasting time)

danallan likes this.
Old 10-08-2010 at 03:59 PM   #4
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrw88 View Post
What exactly do you think staying would do?
Maybe they just wanted to take the chance to get home at a decent time and go to sleep after having played a tough game, and got their asses kicked?
(instead of standing around doing nothing, wasting time)
Evidently, they showed no concern for our team, and they left without shaking hands. That is a time-honoured tradition. It's also the polite way to finish a game. So they left undignified (with their beaks hung low).
Old 10-08-2010 at 04:09 PM   #5
MLSA29

Liked: 1 Time

Don't be so quick to judge other people's actions. There are always three sides to every story: McMaster's side, Guelph's side and the real story. One perspective I heard (I know some of the coaches and players from Guelph) was that their coaches and officials made the decision to leave for safety reasons. The crowd was getting quite rowdy and antsy (ie. the first post mentions a lot of booing), they thought it would be best to leave before something bad happened. I highly doubt that their actions were meant in poor sportsmanship. Don't be so judgmental and believe that they left undignified - its really none of your business and they don't have to consult with the crowd (who apparently was the reason they left) before a decision is made.

danallan likes this.
Old 10-08-2010 at 07:40 PM   #6
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

There was also something I heard about them seriously injuring the Mac Kicker, That is not generally supposed to happen under rules of sportsmanship either.

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 10-08-2010 at 08:08 PM   #7
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSA29 View Post
Don't be so quick to judge other people's actions. There are always three sides to every story: McMaster's side, Guelph's side and the real story. One perspective I heard (I know some of the coaches and players from Guelph) was that their coaches and officials made the decision to leave for safety reasons. The crowd was getting quite rowdy and antsy (ie. the first post mentions a lot of booing), they thought it would be best to leave before something bad happened. I highly doubt that their actions were meant in poor sportsmanship. Don't be so judgmental and believe that they left undignified - its really none of your business and they don't have to consult with the crowd (who apparently was the reason they left) before a decision is made.
That is definately not the true story. The crowd didn't start booing until the Guelph team started walking off the field. Up until that point, everyone was waiting pretty quietly in the stands to see if our kicker was okay. I saw a few people taking videos so I'm sure there's proof of this somewhere. The crowd was practically speechless until Guelph left. (There's a few Guelph and Mac football videos on Youtube, so I'm sure a video from last night will pop up eventually)

The bottom of my original post says "Unless I missed something??", so obviously I'm aware that I don't know the whole story. But to walk off the field, when the other team has a player injured so badly that an ambulance is coming, and not shake hands with the other team is unsportsman like. There were definately no "safety" issues last night that forced Guelph to walk off early. That is a complete fabrication.

Last edited by Kathy2 : 10-08-2010 at 08:17 PM.

lizziepizzie, Maegs like this.
Old 10-09-2010 at 12:44 PM   #8
ViktorVaughn

Liked: 71 Times

Who cares

danallan likes this.
Old 10-09-2010 at 01:13 PM   #9
TheBrickWall
Elite Member

Liked: 46 Times

that was a terrible display of sportmanship; they should have waited until he was okay
Old 10-12-2010 at 11:27 PM   #10
dabulls

Liked: 14 Times

Here's the deal.

Guelph hit the kicker late. They were flagged for the late hit. The late hit ended up breaking Crapinga's lower leg... but if you do some digging you can find out he was playing hurt anyway.

As for Guelph leaving early- They were told to do it by the officiating crew. The traditional hand shake would have lead to fights. It was a smart move by the zebras. Also, I will say that it was the most passionate I have ever heard a Mac football crowd and the stadium was only 1/3 full.

The fans gave Guelph the business and rightfully so. It was a dirty play- it wasn't a football play.