MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Join the Fight to Lower Tuition Fees! RALLY OUTSIDE MUSC 111am ON Feb 1st robots Politics 86 01-30-2012 12:24 AM
>48 first year credits MacJk First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 11-10-2011 08:07 PM
First Year Credits AmyLia Academics 4 05-27-2011 01:17 PM

Is it Possible to take less than 30 credits and have lower fees for the year?

Old 08-12-2017 at 03:04 PM   #1
piecila

Liked: 0 Times

Is it Possible to take less than 30 credits and have lower fees for the year?
I have recently transferred from another program in McMaster to the first-year compsci program in McMaster. As a result, I have all my electives complete, from courses I took last year. I am currently enrolled in all the remaining courses I need for comp sci, but I was wondering if I could take less courses this year, and possibly pay less towards tuition?
Old 08-12-2017 at 05:57 PM   #2
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Liked: 91 Times

You can only pay less fees if you are part time student, which requires you to take 60% of the full course load required for your level. Anything above 60% puts you at full time student, and thus you have to pay full fee.
Old 08-14-2017 at 11:50 AM   #3
old guy

Liked: 5 Times

Your tuition per class goes down if you have less classes.

And some of the other charges are also pro-rated slightly, meaning you get pesky stupid bill adjustments showing up al the time when you change your number of units mid-semester.

With all that said, you'd also be well-served taking a few second-year required courses this year. If you're going to have reduced-load semesters in your undergrad career, you really really REALLY want them to be in your fourth year, not in your first year.