MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Missed my exam... MarkA Academics 28 04-21-2010 11:18 PM
Enviro Sci Exam? Keenu Academics 3 04-20-2010 08:46 AM
Exam locations noghi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 12-14-2009 08:05 PM
Exam on Holiday J-Met Academics 13 04-10-2009 09:38 PM
Exam Help JokrJon Academics 3 02-27-2009 09:26 PM

Postponing an Exam

Old 04-07-2010 at 08:34 PM   #1
mellye
Elite Member

Liked: 29 Times

Postponing an Exam
Hey everyone!

I recently had a death in the family and I thought I was doing okay with it but today I went to the funeral and I'm a little shaken up now. I have an exam on friday worth 60% and I was wondering if I can defer the exam? If so, is it a few days after or is it months after? And how do I go about it?
Old 04-07-2010 at 08:45 PM   #2
aani

Liked: 9 Times

It will be in the next round of exams...so that would be near June end (summer school exam time). I believe you have to go to your Associate Dean's office and follow the procedure they have outlined.

Sorry about your loss.
Old 04-07-2010 at 09:19 PM   #3
sniderj
Elite Member

Liked: 177 Times

I'm sorry to hear about that. Given the short time between now and Friday, you should go to your Academic Programs Office tomorrow and request and emergency meeting. The rules in the Academic calendar are tough in interpret, and it's really at the discretion of your faculty office. Be sure you push hard if they say they don't have any appointment time. This is more urgent than someone who wants to talk about what courses they should take next year (even if they did make an appointment).

Be prepared to write the exam though, because nothing is guaranteed. Hope you feel better soon.
Old 04-07-2010 at 11:55 PM   #4
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

I am sorry for your loss.

When you make an appointment with your Academic Programs Office, make sure you have a copy of the death certificate with you. If you have an obituary with your name in it and showing your relation to the person that can be beneficial as well.

The death certificate is proof that you're not making up a death in the family. However, be warned they do have a right to refuse your request depending on your relationship with the individual; I have heard in the past (many years ago, granted) someone was not allowed to defer after the death of a grandparent.

So, as Jack said, push your case, and study as best you can.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 04-08-2010 at 11:47 AM   #5
tungo89
Club G.R.O.S.S.

Liked: 46 Times

If your associate dean is difficult, you can also try appealing directly to your professor.