MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Some Practical, First-Hand Advice for Incoming Engineering Students @ Mac Forthex Academics 56 04-16-2010 06:59 PM

Is this practical?

Old 08-21-2012 at 03:50 PM   #16
Chris23
Account Locked

Liked: 287 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPrentice View Post
There's like no positivity here! I'm moving in with my boyfriend(of three years) for First Year(he's almost two years older, so he'll be doing his final year of college) and I know my family has been very supportive simply because it'll save half on rent and basically everything else. I'd say wait the year out and see what happens, but if you can afford it, I'd say go for it! More cost effective than res without a doubt!
You do realize they would be living in oakville... which is a car drive from either of the campuses... clearly you didnt read the entire scenario, or else you would have realized that what you just said is completely wrong if you think car insurance, gas to travel everyday, meals for two, and the rent of an apartment, is cheaper than residence, well i sincerly hope you are not going into any program that involves any sort of mathematics... even addition

Amaryll likes this.
Old 08-21-2012 at 03:59 PM   #17
Amaryll
My math prof is hotter.

Liked: 327 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris23 View Post
You do realize they would be living in oakville... which is a car drive from either of the campuses... clearly you didnt read the entire scenario, or else you would have realized that what you just said is completely wrong if you think car insurance, gas to travel everyday, meals for two, and the rent of an apartment, is cheaper than residence, well i sincerly hope you are not going into any program that involves any sort of mathematics... even addition
Clearly didn't read it at all. Jeez. She also missed the fact that the gf is in grade 12. Since when is living on your own in a town away from your high school cheaper than living with your parents?

Chris23 likes this.
Old 08-21-2012 at 04:02 PM   #18
Serene
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

I'm sure this will do wonders on your grades...
Old 08-21-2012 at 06:45 PM   #19
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

wait until after thanksgiving and ask again

Old 08-21-2012 at 11:27 PM   #20
Chris23
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaryll View Post
Clearly didn't read it at all. Jeez. She also missed the fact that the gf is in grade 12. Since when is living on your own in a town away from your high school cheaper than living with your parents?
haha finally someone else who understands, if you make a stupid comment, you will get many stupid responses haha ill be hiring this person to balance my checkbooks and manage my personal finances for sure. Regardless of how bad it gets, they will always tell me im rich rich rich
Old 08-21-2012 at 11:41 PM   #21
sinnersdrown

Liked: 89 Times

Quote:
haha finally someone else who understands, if you make a stupid comment, you will get many stupid responses haha ill be hiring this person to balance my checkbooks and manage my personal finances for sure. Regardless of how bad it gets, they will always tell me im rich rich rich
Oh you guys, love the responses.
Old 08-21-2012 at 11:52 PM   #22
Sarah. K '16

Liked: 1 Time

Coming from personal experience and your girlfriends side of the situation dating someone who is going to university while you're still in high school is extremely difficult. My relationship survived the whole year while he was away however ended recently because of some realizations and my choice of university. The year of long distance was incredibly challenging and straining. This could be different for any couple but my words of advice is that you are only what? 18? Leave this stuff for when you are 28 and have fun being in university without having any outside worries. You have the rest of your life for "settling down"

Afsha-noon likes this.
Old 08-22-2012 at 12:10 AM   #23
Afsha-noon

Liked: 11 Times

Aha, yeah the negativity is a bit high... But I do agree - a lot can change in a year. But anyway, if you know this is what you want to do and if you guys are still thinking about it next year then I was wondering...
1)
Why not have her live on res first year (UtM res) and you live with friends in a shared house close to McMaster for 2nd year? And then make the trip down to mississauga on weekends or such? Its a 40 minute bus ride - you'll both be able to hang out with other friends, etc.
2) Or how about... She lives in Hamilton - near MAC next year. This way, she can take the Go Bus from McMaster straight to Square One (40-45 minutes) then use the free Mississauga transit (available to UtM students) to bus down to UtM?
Just a thought!

andrejr says thanks to Afsha-noon for this post.
Old 08-22-2012 at 01:07 AM   #24
Amaryll
My math prof is hotter.

Liked: 327 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah. K '16 View Post
Coming from personal experience and your girlfriends side of the situation dating someone who is going to university while you're still in high school is extremely difficult. My relationship survived the whole year while he was away however ended recently because of some realizations and my choice of university. The year of long distance was incredibly challenging and straining. This could be different for any couple but my words of advice is that you are only what? 18? Leave this stuff for when you are 28 and have fun being in university without having any outside worries. You have the rest of your life for "settling down"
Personally wouldn't give that sort of advice without knowing the people involved in the relationship and the dynamics of the relationship. LD is, of course, an inevitable crash and burn for some people, and very obviously so before they even start. However, you don't know anything about their maturity. (On a side note, we have firmly established that they are quite clueless about financial issues.)

Having an SO in a town that is <1 hr bus ride away != no fun for you in university. Not in the slightest. Unless, of course, the person's interpretation of "fun" includes promiscuity.

andrejr, Chris23 like this.
Old 08-22-2012 at 06:57 AM   #25
elaynag

Liked: 2 Times

If you are really wanting to do that, don't choose Oakville. It is super pricey... at least Missisauga! BUT cheapest would be to live in Hamilton since you have the free bus pass. Anywhere else you either have to pay for car/gas/insurance or for GO (which can get up there). Plus rent, utilities, etc.
Old 08-22-2012 at 07:15 AM   #26
Chris23
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaryll View Post
Personally wouldn't give that sort of advice without knowing the people involved in the relationship and the dynamics of the relationship. LD is, of course, an inevitable crash and burn for some people, and very obviously so before they even start. However, you don't know anything about their maturity. (On a side note, we have firmly established that they are quite clueless about financial issues.)

Having an SO in a town that is <1 hr bus ride away != no fun for you in university. Not in the slightest. Unless, of course, the person's interpretation of "fun" includes promiscuity.
Lmao this is what I needed to start my day at the office!
Old 08-22-2012 at 07:33 AM   #27
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPrentice View Post
There's like no positivity here! I'm moving in with my boyfriend(of three years) for First Year(he's almost two years older, so he'll be doing his final year of college) and I know my family has been very supportive simply because it'll save half on rent and basically everything else. I'd say wait the year out and see what happens, but if you can afford it, I'd say go for it! More cost effective than res without a doubt!
Exactly, you would be saving money. He mentioned from GTA but not exactly where.

Rent is Oakville is not cheap + transportation for both...just wasting a lot of money that way versus living both in sauga or Hamilton and pooling resources to get one to commute
Old 08-22-2012 at 10:16 AM   #28
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

Seeing each other only on weekends is not a big deal. Hell, I know couples who attend the same university+ live in the same city who only ever see each other on weekends because of how busy they both are.

The urge to be around each other all the time is strong, but really, the plan you've outlined is the most impractical thing I've ever seen. Yeah, it's going to suck going from seeing each other everyday to only 1-2x a week, but it's an excellent test for any relationship. Distance does not always make the heart grow fonder and you may learn things about yourselves that force you to reevaluate this whole thing. Adversely, it could do wonders for you.

Get off campus housing in Hamilton or start commuting.
Old 08-22-2012 at 11:03 AM   #29
BPrentice

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Quote:
I never said it was cheaper in terms of gas OR insurance. LIVING expenses only. They could live in either city only one person would have to commute.
Old 08-22-2012 at 11:46 AM   #30
jaymanmac201

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Please don't get discouraged by some of the negative posts here. They havevalid points for sure but I was in a similar situation once. At the end offirst year I started dating one of my brother's friends. She was a high schoolstudent then. She graduated and went to U of T. We dated throughout universityand she is now my fiancée. We are getting married next July. This stuff canwork out!

BTW, the way we did it was that she had a dorm in Toronto and I had an apartmentin Hamilton. She took the GO train to visit me. She was here a lot so it wasbasically like we were living together. However, it is important for each ofyou to have your own space close to your campus so that you can get school workdone. There will be times when you need to work well into the night and be upearly for class the next morning. Keep that in mind! Best of luck to you both

andrejr, BPrentice like this.