Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Astron 2b03 MichaelScarn Academics 12 06-14-2011 06:33 PM

PSYCH 2B03 or ASTRON 2B03

Old 06-17-2011 at 02:42 PM   #1
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Liked: 161 Times

PSYCH 2B03 or ASTRON 2B03
So right now I have both of these courses as electives for first term, but I can only take on. So I was wondering, which one is easier/more interesting?

For PSYCH 2B03, the thing I'm worried about is that because the midterms/exams are worth so much, screwing one of them up will be very detrimental.

For ASTRON 2B03, I've heard people say that the tutorials are very subjective and since they're worth 40% of my final mark, it's a big deal
Old 06-17-2011 at 05:08 PM   #2
wuz_man

Liked: 1 Time

you should take what youre interested in...
Old 06-17-2011 at 05:17 PM   #3
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuz_man View Post
you should take what youre interested in...
Mm... I find it interesting he's basing his selection on difficulty of midterms, tutorial quality...etc...

Astron vs psych? Reallllly?

L'Étoile says thanks to RyanC for this post.

L'Étoile likes this.
Old 06-17-2011 at 05:58 PM   #4
UlteriorMtve

Liked: 199 Times

I'm in the same position as Bernard.

As much as I would like to pick something I am extremely interested in, we already have 8 classes on my schedule that we will enjoy.

Now we're just picking 2 electives that can both fit in our schedule and be manageable so that we can focus on the classes we actually enjoy.

For me, I have a fair bit of interest in both psych and astronomy. However, I don't really know enough about either of them nor do I love them enough to make a decision solely on which one I like more.

That's what I don't think it's harmful to factor in the difficulty of the courses when making a decision.

It'd be a different story if he was picking courses based solely on difficulty.
Old 06-17-2011 at 06:51 PM   #5
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Yea, I'm interested in both psych and astronomy, that's why I'm deciding between them as my electives. I don't think it's unusual at all to decide a course based on difficulty, there are hundreds of threads about that on MI
Old 06-17-2011 at 07:13 PM   #6
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

I am very upset that you guys are basing your course selection based on midterms etc, like come on any course is doable as long as you put the time and passion in it.

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine
Old 06-17-2011 at 07:14 PM   #7
spyridm

Liked: 46 Times

i think you should take the psych bernard!!!
if you havent already seen it: http://intropsych.mcmaster.c a/psyc..._2010-2011.pdf

the concepts seem to be a lot of repetition from high school APS and seem rather interesting! + apparently Dr. Day is pretty awesome

plus lets be honest here... if you had a choice between 2 courses that you find equally interesting why would you NOT take the easier one if the opportunity presented itself

+ i knowww you like psych bernarddddddd hehe
Old 06-17-2011 at 07:18 PM   #8
UlteriorMtve

Liked: 199 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Étoile View Post
I am very upset that you guys are basing your course selection based on midterms etc, like come on any course is doable as long as you put the time and passion in it.
It's just one of those situations where I'd rather take 8 classes if I could but that isn't an option.

Bernard has obviously narrowed his list of possible electives down based on interest and is left with PSYCH 2B03 and ASTRON 2B03. There are still a lot of easier options out there but he's not picking those because he knows he doesn't have any interest in them.

Now he's just trying to decide between these two courses because his level of interest in the two fields isn't different enough to be the deciding factor. In situations like this difficulty is a pretty good thing to consider.

I'd be different if he was saying "What's the easiest elective I can take in first term?"

[I hope I'm right about your opinion Bernard, I don't want to say anything you wouldn't say ]

This being said, I know what you're saying Noor. I don't like it when people pick courses based solely in difficulty and you are right that every university course is manageable if you put in the time. This situation is just a little bit different than all of those people who want to have the easiest schedule possible.

Last edited by UlteriorMtve : 06-17-2011 at 07:21 PM.

MichaelScarn likes this.
Old 06-17-2011 at 07:21 PM   #9
spyridm

Quote:
Originally Posted by UlteriorMtve View Post
[I hope I'm right about your opinion Bernard, I don't want to say anything you wouldn't say ]
^you sir are indeed correct

Im gonna be random here- but i actually know Bernard in real life and he is NOT one of those people who is all about taking the easiest courses

so everybody dont get your knickers in a bunch! LOL its just a questionnnnn

Old 06-17-2011 at 07:35 PM   #10
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Lol dunno why I'm getting all this hate for asking about midterms and tutorials when every other post on the course reviews is about the easiness of the course

And I think I'm leaning towards psych marina =P just gonna hate the 8:30 classes
Old 06-17-2011 at 07:38 PM   #11
spyridm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
Lol dunno why I'm getting all this hate for asking about midterms and tutorials when every other post on the course reviews is about the easiness of the course

And I think I'm leaning towards psych marina =P just gonna hate the 8:30 classes
ewwww 8:30 LMAOO

hahaha but still! the course sounds rlyyyy interesting! I would take it too if i had enough space - but alas i am already taking PSYCH 2NF3, 2AA3 & 2TT3... and i guess thats enough for one year ;P
Old 06-17-2011 at 07:41 PM   #12
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Lucky, I want to take 2NF3 and 2AP3..might try to get into 2AA3 too =P
Old 06-17-2011 at 07:43 PM   #13
spyridm

omg DO ITTTTTT! hahahaha

Me and Anmol could use someone else to sit with us in AA3!!
+ then i will actually have a class with you this year! hehe
Old 06-17-2011 at 07:44 PM   #14
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Lol I'll try, but it's always full
Is Anmol taking it for sure?
Old 06-17-2011 at 07:50 PM   #15
spyridm

from what i understand yes
.... if he switches out it will make me very sad :S