MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Psych 2E03 vs Psych 2N03 Opinions thoughts etc lithiumforce Academics 3 06-25-2010 04:39 PM
Psych 2e03 jasminexo Academics 0 01-03-2010 11:38 AM
Psych 2E03 R633 Academics 3 08-30-2009 04:51 PM
Can't get into Psych 2E03 shaiya08 Academics 2 07-27-2009 02:43 PM

Psych 2E03

Psych 2E03
Sensory Processes
Published by Lois
06-20-2009
Published by
Elite Member

Psych 2E03

This was one of my favourite courses in undergrad. As the title of the course indicates, it's about sensory processes, in particular vision (colour, depth, binding) and hearing.

Prof: Ullal: He is one of my favourite profs at Mcmaster. He's always willing to answer any questions that a student may have and doesn't rush through the material. Make sure you know all the syndromes and diseases, he likes to ask test questions on them. Finally, it's very important to attend all the lectures.

Course breakdown:
Two midterms (20% each): MC & SA. The short answer tends to be difficult for some students.
Two assignments (either 10% each or total... I can't remember): You're given a piece of primary literature and you're asked questions about the article. Fairly easy.
Final Exam: MC & SA.

L'Étoile, Thebe all say thanks to Lois for this post.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Psych 2E03!

Old 06-21-2009 at 12:21 AM   #2
Duarch

Liked: 19 Times
The assignments are 10% each
Old 06-21-2009 at 11:37 AM   #3
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times
I have to take this course at some point, hmm. Does Dr. Ullal focus more on his lecture notes or on the textbook?
Old 06-21-2009 at 12:05 PM   #4
Duarch

Liked: 19 Times
It's all lecture notes. He uses the textbook as a reference so if you don't understand part of his notes then you can look it up in the textbook. But all his test material is from lecture, there's nothing that he didn't mention in class.

feonateresa says thanks to Duarch for this post.

Old 06-22-2009 at 02:28 PM   #5
Navi

Liked: 0 Times
Would you reccommend buying the textbook for this course, or is it really not needed?
Old 06-22-2009 at 04:11 PM   #6
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
I have to take this course at some point, hmm. Does Dr. Ullal focus more on his lecture notes or on the textbook?
It's all lecture notes. He tells you that you don't have to buy the textbook to get an A+, and it's definitely true. =p

Kayli, Navi all say thanks to Lois for this post.
Old 06-22-2009 at 11:00 PM   #7
lilchoconut

I really liked Dr. Ullal, but sometimes I had trouble understanding his accent. Textbook helps fill in the gaps sometimes; or you can just ask him for clarification... (but who wants to do it daily T_T)
Old 07-01-2009 at 07:17 PM   #8
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times
So is the general consensus a positive one for Dr. Ullal? I'd actually heard some pretty negative things about him from others, specifically about how he tests you on the most random details.

Is there any truth to that?
And how would people who've had him recommend studying for his tests?
Old 07-01-2009 at 09:16 PM   #9
lilchoconut

oh lol
i agree with him testing you about the most random details; as in his tests can be very difficult if you do not write down the little things he says in class

the absolute truth is that everything he says in class is fair game for the test, the textbook is irrelevant, and sometimes its hard to take note of everything he writes if you're not used to his accent

best way to study for tests is to go to lectures, pay attention, and ask questions for clarification...

but Dr. Ullal is a wonderful prof in a sense that he is passionate about the subject he teaches, he knows his stuff, he is very open to questions, and he is just very nice.

Kayli, Marlowe all say thanks to lilchoconut for this post.
Old 07-01-2009 at 11:35 PM   #10
Lois
Elite Member

Dr. Ullal is one of the best profs at McMaster, imo. Sure, he has an accent but you can definitely understand it. He's very friendly and he always wants students to do well in class.

I don't write down everything in class, but I did well in the course. Don't bother with the text, study from the lecture notes. If you don't understand something from lecture notes, go to his office hours or look it up online.

How to study? Know the syndromes and information related to it, sometimes random details are tested but they're typically in multiple choice where which question is worth 0.5 :\ Not a huge amount.

Kayli, Marlowe all say thanks to Lois for this post.
Old 07-29-2009 at 11:20 AM   #11
R633

Liked: 24 Times
Does the professor use powerpoint slides for his lecture notes, or do you just write/type as he teaches?
Old 07-29-2009 at 02:48 PM   #12
Navi

He has powerpoint or pdf lecture files you print out before the lectures, and fill in your own supplementary notes as he teaches.
Old 08-12-2009 at 07:19 PM   #13
sj316

is the assignment group-based work?
Old 08-12-2009 at 09:22 PM   #14
Lois
Elite Member

It's individual. You have to read a scientific paper and answer questions.
Old 08-30-2009 at 04:33 PM   #15
R633

Liked: 24 Times
What is the required text for this course?

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search