MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Psych 2H03? naakamura Academics 0 09-12-2010 11:05 AM
Course exchange: Psych 2H03 for Psych 2AP3 SashDoods Academics 0 08-13-2010 12:59 PM
compare psych 2ap3 and psych 2h03 nadia1 Academics 0 07-26-2010 06:05 PM
anyone planning on dropping life sci 2h03, psych 2ap3, or psych 2c03 second semester? macbaby07 Academics 2 07-12-2010 05:32 PM
Psych 2h03 megzx89 Academics 2 06-22-2009 05:02 AM

Psych 2H03

Old 06-18-2009 at 10:20 PM   #16
moops
Elite Member

Liked: 40 Times

Psych 2H03
This course was an introduction to themes in cognitive psych - perception, attention, memory etc.

I took the course with Dr. Humphreys and the the mark breakdown was this:

Exams - 80%
The course material was split into 4 parts. Each part was tested on 1...

all say thanks to moops for this post.
Old 12-19-2010 at 01:30 PM   #15
_Mike

Liked: 8 Times
Time Taken: Fall 2010
Professor: Dr. Humphreys
Mark Breakdown: Same as the original post, but note that one's lowest test mark is no longer dropped.

I just finished this course a few days ago, and I have to say that, overall, it was quite enjoyable. Dr. Humphreys is a good lecturer and she manages to keep things interesting even when the content is a bit dry. I also love that she bumped my mark up .05% so I could get the next highest grade point! Overall, I came into this course with a very strong interest in cognitive psychology, and while I still find it interesting, it's not my favourite aspect of psychology. The content can be dry at times (some sections were more interesting than others), but most of the content has real-world applications, and you some interesting facts, as well.

The tests can seem really straightforward when you're doing them, but I never seemed to ace them. This is the kind of class where you will often get stuck between 2 multiple choice options that are only slightly diferent because you failed to remember something subtle that ended up being important. While they are tricky, I feel like the testing was very fair. The experiment assignment was also fairly marked and provided an opportunity for most people to raise their grade. The exam was less tricky than the midterms -- if you knew your stuff, you probably wouldn't have had much difficulty.

In the end, I would still recommend this course. Provided that you attend lecture, study decent well before tests and exams, and put forth some effort towards the experiment assignment, a double-digit grade is not out of reach.
Old 01-13-2011 at 08:54 PM   #16
nishan

Liked: 0 Times
Hi, by any chance does any one of you guys have old tests?
Old 01-13-2011 at 09:05 PM   #17
nishan

Hi, does anyone of guyz have old tests?
Old 01-13-2011 at 11:08 PM   #18
nishan

hey, does any one of you guys have old tests by chance?
Old 04-30-2013 at 10:29 PM   #19
Angoose
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times
Does anyone have a more recent review of this course by any chance?
Old 06-03-2013 at 07:08 AM   #20
Rae_13

Has anyone taken this course with Andrews?
Old 05-10-2016 at 09:14 PM   #21
ttwistedlogic

Liked: 1 Time
Taken Winter 2016 with Humphreys

Evaluation:
  • non-cumulative midterms worth 18% but the lowest one is dropped!
    experiment participation 2%
    2 papers on two experiments (first worth 5%, second worth 10%)
    29% final exam

PROS:
-- Course content was very similar to Psych 1XX3! And very interesting (memory, language, attention, problem solving, etc).
--I didn't find tests too hard. They were 37 multiple choice each and I scored 80+ on all of them by studying well (see tips below)
--course outline is very fair and forgiving

CONS:
-- While Dr.Humphrey's in a nice lady, her lectures were pretty much a waste. You MUST read the textbook to do well in the course. She does not go in depth in her lectures, but will add a few studies in lecture that are not in the text and I guarantee you this material will show up on tests!
--Basically her lectures are her showing examples of illusions and stuff which is fun but only for so long... ALSO this is a 3 hour night class. She would suddenly dismiss us after 1 hour at the beginning of the term then kept us longer towards the end which made no sense.
--She would upload test marks and then two days later say "whoops I made an error entering the grades, so your grades can go up or down now" --> THIS HAPPENED FOR EVERY TEST
--the TAs did not give good feedback for the written papers and the second one worth the higher percentage was not even graded until after the exam......
--each textbook chapter takes about 3 hours to read (while taking notes)

Overall, you should really be into the content if you take this course. I came out with more appreciation of the material and feel like it is definitely good intro for the third year Psych courses! I came out with a 10 because I studied the textbook then I looked over her notes and supplemented whatever was not in the text into my notes.

My strategy to do well was basically know an example for each theory you learn, and compare that example to ones given on the test. You can do well in this course. Many people didn't because they probably expected the material from lecture to be enough. Tests are very little recall, mostly application given examples and situations.
Old 06-07-2016 at 08:09 AM   #22
Starships2

Liked: 3 Times
Stop. Theres easier/better psych courses to take. The midterms were bordering on ok but the final exam was a mess. Humphreys somehow kept making mistakes with test/exam scores which stressed the whole class out. You literally need to only focus on the textbook but her lectures are filled with more peppy "fun facts" and illusions which is misleading when trying to study. Near the end of the course many kids wanted to start a petition because she was that misleading and confusing through out the course. Do. Not. Do. It.

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search