MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Biochem 2EE3 or Psych 3BA3? oxelhs Academics 8 06-09-2012 07:44 PM
PSYCH 2NF3 inquiry achhin Academics 10 06-07-2012 08:23 PM
Psych 2NF3 morgan Academics 2 06-09-2011 09:25 PM
anyone dropping biochem 2ee3 or social or abnorma psych 2nd term or willing to switch nadia1 Academics 0 07-16-2010 04:15 PM

PSYCH 2NF3 or BIOCHEM 2EE3

Old 07-18-2012 at 01:43 PM   #1
winter02

Liked: 7 Times

PSYCH 2NF3 or BIOCHEM 2EE3
Hey guys, so like the title suggests, I'm having trouble picking one of the two for my electives for the upcoming year. I need both for upper year electives and am planning on doing one in the summer before the start of 3rd year (If the current summer schedule doesn't change). If anyone could vouch for either course or give me some opinions on how they felt when they took it, that would be great. I am leaning towards Psych 2NF3 based on pure interest but I heard biochem is also needed for upper year electives and etc.

Thanks for reading =)
Old 07-18-2012 at 03:57 PM   #2
exuberant888

Liked: 55 Times

I can vouch for Biochem 2EE3, having completed it in the winter of 2012 with Dr. Zhorov. The material itself was very interesting, including topics ranging from the basis of life (energy, DNA, macromolecules), metabolism (lipids, proteins, carbohydrates) and toxicity of different toxins. However, the presentation of the material is very dry and boring, as the professor has a tendency to reiterate what is on the slides without additional context (not to mention, he is a little difficult to understand in the beginning). Having said that, I skipped most of my classes. With hard work, I would say an 11 is definitely doable, but to achieve a 12, you will need luck and the diligence to memorize every single detail of every slide/figure/diagram (plus a bunch of practice tests if you can get them off friends, as the prof recycles questions). I believe Biochem 2EE3 is required for Biochem 3G03 in 3rd year, and most professional schools also require a credit in biochem. Bottom line, if you want a course that requires intense amounts of dry memorization, take Biochem 2EE3. If you want an interesting course that is fun yet educational, avoid Biochem 2EE3.

Swampis says thanks to exuberant888 for this post.

winter02 likes this.
Old 07-18-2012 at 04:06 PM   #3
spyridm

Liked: 46 Times

I took psych 2NF3 this year with Dr. Ullal.
I really enjoyed it. If you are good at memorizing blatantly for examinations, pay attention in class (we had absolutely no readings this year) and enjoy neuroscience this course will be great for you! He is really interesting in my opinion and the course load was very light (he said we would have to read articles at the beginning of the year but we never did).

And in regards to what exuberant888 said, you do not need 2EE3 for 3G03

winter02 likes this.
Old 07-18-2012 at 04:33 PM   #4
winter02

Liked: 7 Times

Even though it's popular on SOLAR (it's currently full), I think I'll go for psych and take biochem in the summer. I've had my eye on this course for quite awhile. Thanks for the advice guys