MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question about health science program admission valtorec Academics 22 05-08-2011 06:21 PM
Question to people in Health Sci (All levels) CAHopeful General Discussion 9 03-14-2011 11:17 AM
Police Check Question- Health Age 1BB3 sufiya First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 01-12-2011 08:09 PM
Question regarding MSU health insurance saeeds5 General Discussion 1 11-11-2009 07:30 PM
Question about Health Science Textbooks Mephisto First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 20 07-21-2009 11:28 PM

Question About life sci vs Health sci?

Old 05-18-2013 at 11:42 PM   #1
etehranz

Liked: 0 Times

Question About life sci vs Health sci?
: I ultimately have a goal to get into medical school (yes one of those students) but I want to have a back up plan in case that one would not work out. I was thinking physiotherapy(somethi ng that would require me to pursue further education) I want to know which degree would better prepare me. I know course wise, it would be easier to do health science at Ottawa U, but the easiest way is not always the best way and I want to come out of the 4 years having it well spent and being prepared for any type of future career along the science- related lines. I do not know what I would specialize in life sci though, and I heard general degrees are normally not the best?

Thanks in advance
Old 05-18-2013 at 11:48 PM   #2
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

You should search the forum, there are tons of threads about this.

A summarized version of those threads and my own personal advice is that you should look into the different styles, courses, etc. for each of the programs you are considering and then pick the one that suits you best. Realistically, you can apply to medical school and get in from any program that allows you to take basic pre-requisite courses (some bio, chem, etc. <--varies for each school).

It's okay if you don't know what to specialize in yet. I didn't know what I wanted to do when I was in first year Life Sci and it wasn't until the end of first year that I really knew enough about the different specializations to make my program selections.

In terms of a back-up plan, most general life/health science degrees are pretty useless without further education but at the same time, give you the freedom to prepare for that extra education.

etehranz says thanks to RememberTwce for this post.

Lois likes this.